Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Food that has positive effects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Food that has positive effects

Hi, while we know what food we are best off avoiding (gluten, sugar, dairy etc) I was just wondering if any of you have found specific food that helps with your rosacea?

So far I have found that sweet potatoes seem to have a really positive impact. My face is always a lot calmer the following morning. I now eat them a lot!

I would be really interested to hear your recommendations

Emz x

I find blueberries and greens help.

That's great! I'm growing my own blueberries this year so look forward to giving them a try

I make healthy smoothies every morning and that helps. They're cold as well so I find I can get away with a hot cup of coffee without flaring up. I put greens (anything from spinach to a whole head of parsley or cilantro), avocado, hemp seeds, chia seeds, lemon, tumeric, ginger, almond butter (hides the taste of everything else) and frozen berrries. I really think this anti inflammatory shake makes a big difference in my rosacea. I find when I travel my skin acts up and I actually start missing my shakes. They truly taste better than they sound!

Cantaloupe.

I second sweet potatoes! I've been supplementing recently with Vitamin A, but didn't want to keep doing that long term. From research, I saw that some people on the acne.org forum have had success with eating a sweet potato daily or a few times a week.

I've begun experimenting just recently - and so far so good. I'm hoping for a calming effect, too. And help improving my skin barrier. It's so incredibly good for overall health, much like blueberries, so it's worth eating anyway. But for skin, it has great nutrients that can help our rosacea.

Ellie, do you have to soak the chia seeds before you put them in the smoothie? I read somewhere that the will go right through you if you don't, but elsewhere, I haven't read that others are soaking first before putting them in recipes.

In addition to the sweet potato and blueberries, I make sure I drink a lot of water for my rosacea. It helps to cool and hydrate the body and keep our systems running smoothly - also flush out toxins. There are some past threads here on the forum where people have talked about how drinking more water helped their rosacea.

Yes, veggirl, cantaloupe! I don't usually eat cantaloupe often, but I read recently how it's also, like the sweet potato, a carotenoid and thus high in beta carotene. Also, high in Vit C, I think. Think I'll have to start eating that a bit more.

Great tips everyone, thanks! I don't think I'm organised enough to make smoothies (I spend too much time in the morning desperately trying to cover my face with makeup to have time to spare!) but love the idea. I know I should try it, maybe next weekend.

hg25 did you see any benefit from taking vitamin A? It took me a while to work out that sweet potatoes where so beneficial but they are great! I'd eat them every meal if I could. I'm terrible at drinking and literally used to go a couple of days without drinking anything when I was a kid! I try harder now but know I should be drinking lots more so I'll definitely give this a go.

I shall be stocking up on cantaloupe this week and let you know how it goes. I had a rare night out last night, didn't drink but have woken this morning very blotchy, stinging and bumpy skin Hopefully these foods will help

Default Watermelon

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    Great tips everyone, thanks! I don't think I'm organised enough to make smoothies (I spend too much time in the morning desperately trying to cover my face with makeup to have time to spare!) but love the idea. I know I should try it, maybe next weekend.

hg25 did you see any benefit from taking vitamin A? It took me a while to work out that sweet potatoes where so beneficial but they are great! I'd eat them every meal if I could. I'm terrible at drinking and literally used to go a couple of days without drinking anything when I was a kid! I try harder now but know I should be drinking lots more so I'll definitely give this a go.

I shall be stocking up on cantaloupe this week and let you know how it goes. I had a rare night out last night, didn't drink but have woken this morning very blotchy, stinging and bumpy skin Hopefully these foods will help

When I began the Vit A, I also began Vit D, so it's hard to know what has helped. I think it's the A but could be both. But Vit A supplementation isn't the greatest thing in terms of toxicity concerns. I knew that, so I decided to try sweet potatoes after I read the acne forum and did other online research. I hard already begun taking a carotenoid mix supplement, which has beta carotene (in addition to other carotenoids). But I wanted to try real food sources, too. Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A as needed.

Yes, I'd like to eat sweet potatoes at every meal, too! Yesterday, I had baked sweet potato fries. Yum! It's like medicine for the skin - but tasty! Might make more today.

I read yesterday that 75 percent of Americans are chronically dehydrated. Not sure about other countries. But if you google chronic or mild dehydration, you'll see that one of the symptoms is flushing of the face. Apparently, dehydration can contribute also to digestive disorders. So for those of us trying to keep that in order, that's good to know.

It really does help. At least it has me. It's not a cure, but it can bring some relief. Take a look at some of the older threads on the forum about dehydration and/or drinking water. At least it's a super easy and free thing to add the the rosacea toolkit!