Thread: Thin skin?

Default Thin skin?

Can persistent redness be caused by naturally thin skin? My nose is always red and has gotten worse with age. That description fits rosacea but it also seems like it could be caused by thin skin which naturally becomes more thin with age. I've also noticed that my redness is reduced periodically, once every couple of weeks. Then all of the sudden it goes back to normal and often I'll notice some flaky skin right as it turns bad again. So it makes sense that the skin is thickening over time, which reduces redness symptoms, and then it eventually flakes off revealing thin red skin again.

What do you think? Is there anything I could do to encourage my skin to grow thicker and stay thicker?

Quote Originally Posted by bob4324 View Post
    Can persistent redness be caused by naturally thin skin? My nose is always red and has gotten worse with age. That description fits rosacea but it also seems like it could be caused by thin skin which naturally becomes more thin with age. I've also noticed that my redness is reduced periodically, once every couple of weeks. Then all of the sudden it goes back to normal and often I'll notice some flaky skin right as it turns bad again. So it makes sense that the skin is thickening over time, which reduces redness symptoms, and then it eventually flakes off revealing thin red skin again.

What do you think? Is there anything I could do to encourage my skin to grow thicker and stay thicker?

since I have rosacea, I noticed my skin has gotten thinner, but I don't know if rosacea is the cause or the result.
    Some people in this forum believe in the power of chicken broth, it stimulates collagen production. I can't tell from personal experience, but chicken broth is on my long list of things to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Samar2000 View Post
    since I have rosacea, I noticed my skin has gotten thinner, but I don't know if rosacea is the cause or the result.
    Some people in this forum believe in the power of chicken broth, it stimulates collagen production. I can't tell from personal experience, but chicken broth is on my long list of things to try.
    Hmm, hadn't heard of that treatment. I'll put it on my long list too

Quote Originally Posted by bob4324 View Post
    Hmm, hadn't heard of that treatment. I'll put it on my long list too
    I know it sounds weird, but if you look up 'bone broth' on the advanced Search, you can read Some Posts of people who have tried it.
    A few months ago , I was Reading an article about a dermatologist who tells his clients (under which celebs, I think gwennyth Paltrow was one of them) to eat /drink bone broth for collagen production.

In addition to the bone broth, I have read that vit C, fish oil or flax seed oil, borage oil (topically) and alpha lipoic acid also help thicken skin. Keeping it moisturized and wearing sunscreen is also supposed to help.

I have been using some horse chestnut cream on some huge blue spider veins that came out on the backs of my legs after my bout with an illness and a 4 month period of being bed ridden and almost totally immobile. I had also taken prednisone, which is known to thin the skin, during my illness and my skin got very dry all over my body. Anyway, I am not sure the veins are fading but the cream really seems to help the texture and tone of the skin. It does not seem to have the papery texture that it did before and seems better hydrated-- possibly thicker? I have yet to be brave enough to try it on my face but I may. It is supposed to support circulation in tissues.

I think derma rolling is good for thickening skin and boosting collagen production. Of course not many with rosacea can tolerate it, but if it's mild as in my case, it's okay once a month with 1.5mm needles. I've been doing it for a couple of years, along with IPL sessions for redness. I don't know what it is, but a lot of people notice how young I look. I don't remember this being the case five years ago, for instance. Something I do lately does help it. Dr Crouch told me a lot of his patients who do rosacea laser treatment look younger than their partners. Maybe it's IPL or maybe it's a combination.