Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Say hello to my skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Emz View Post
    So would that imply that the pill would help reduce symptoms?
    I've been taking Yasmine for over a year, but decided to quit. My skin was less oily, and I didn't get those horrible rashes I used to have. Still, my skin doesn't look like it used to, so I quit the pill, I had too many side effects anyway. I just quit a week ago, so if I get those horrible rashes back 14-10 days before my period, then I know it's hormonal.

I swapped from the pill to the hormonal coil about two and a half years ago and had it for about a year. It was the worst thing I've EVER done. I'm quite convinced that the side effects (anxiety low mood, feeling like I had constant PMT) either caused or significantly accelerated my rosacea development. So I'm quite resistant to try the pill again but I'll be interested to hear how others have got on.

Hmm, yes I just regoogled. I find all of this confusing. In looking back at old threads on this forum, some women have said taking bcp or hrt helped their rosacea. Others said it made it worse or did nothing. My rosacea definitely acts up more during ovulation and my period. Seems like there could be something that could be done to keep things steady..?

It is very confusing. I don't have time to look into it at the moment but I just did a quick search for "balancing female hormones" and there's lots of advice. Has anyone tried any of the tips around this? They seem to be largely to do with diet and there are definite similarities to the diets a lot of people with flushing etc recommend on here.

It is very confusing. I don't have time to look into it at the moment but I just did a quick search for "balancing female hormones" and there's lots of advice. Has anyone tried any of the tips around this? They seem to be largely to do with diet and there are definite similarities to the diets a lot of people with flushing etc recommend on here.

Exactly. I'm sure hormones is part of our problem.
    maybe we are sensitive to our hormones, it makes more sense to me than demodex mites. Why is it researchers haven't looked into this yet.
    A lot of women seem to get it after or during pregnancy/ pre menopause/ after going of the pill, to me this all points to hormonal changes.
    How about acne, acne is an hormonal condition, it's a sebaceous glands disorder.
    Last edited by Samar2000; 19th June 2015 at 10:23 AM.

I was reading up on hormones and menstrual cycle. 14 days before the menstruation , progesterone is higher than estrogen. At the time of menses and after it goes down. I'm thinking progesterone is affecting our skin problem.

^ I think so too. Although, I did have my hormones checked the very first time I went to my doctor about flushing, and everything came back 'normal'. That was about 4 years ago though.

However, here I am again, just about to get my period, and my skin looks pretty great and feels much calmer and less reactive! I was even able to use my laptop in bed for a short time with no real problems.(usually this would be a huge trigger thanks to the screen being too close to my face)

I'm sure that hormones affect severity of rosacea symptoms for many women. I've suffered from hormonal acne for many years, which has wreaked its own form of havoc on my face (pit scars during my 30s-40s). I developed rosacea at age 45 and am now 47, though I do not think peri-menopause was the cause, only a factor.

What I have read is that hormonal acne comes from a dominance of testosterone, such as in the case of PCOS, or a dominance of estrogen compared to progesterone (menopause) which will be affected by LSH and FH levels, and the body's inability to eliminate the excess hormones in the blood. The problem with getting your hormones tested is that there is such a wide range of normal levels, you are unlikely to find out anything. It's the balance of hormones and their fluctuations that affects what is going on more so than the specific levels. I'm in peri-menopause and might be getting close the end. The doctor just checked my levels and they came back normal, but it's clear I'm going through the change from my symptoms and my age. This link explains hormones with regards to perimenopause/menopause well. http://drsaulmarcus.com/hormone/natu...enopause.htmls

If you have a hormonal imbalance, you will have other symptoms such as PMS, breast tenderness, irregular periods, cramping, regularly-occurring acne usually the week before your period, etc. The acne tends to be on the lower part of your face (chin, cheek folds, around the mouth) and of the deep cystic type. I had all this. I read an article that suggested if acne is worsened or made better by birth control pills then it is likely hormonal in origin.

The natural treatments for addressing hormone imbalance are the same sorts of things that generally help rosacea-- clean eating, no junk, improve liver function, reduce stress (which reduces cortisol), etc. Personally, I won't consider any kind of hormone therapy because hormones in a delicate balance in the body and affect so many other systems. I think we are better served by trying to improve how our bodies eliminate the excess hormones. There are a number of herbs that help some people. I've tried a Chinese Medicine Formula but it did not work for me. I've had the best success with nettles for irregular periods, cramping and most PMS symptoms, which seem to be possibly linked to low iron and magnesium. It's possible it has helped my face as well as I have been seeing steady improvement since I started taking it. I've also tried milk thistle (a liver cleanser/tonic) for a few weeks but can't say that I noticed a marked difference. I stopped because I did not have clear information on how long it is safe to take milk thistle. After doing a little more reading this morning, I think I'm going to up my consumption of raw broccoli and see if it helps at all. After all, it has to be good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lwemm View Post
    I'm sure that hormones affect severity of rosacea symptoms for many women. I've suffered from hormonal acne for many years, which has wreaked its own form of havoc on my face (pit scars during my 30s-40s). I developed rosacea at age 45 and am now 47, though I do not think peri-menopause was the cause, only a factor.

What I have read is that hormonal acne comes from a dominance of testosterone, such as in the case of PCOS, or a dominance of estrogen compared to progesterone (menopause) which will be affected by LSH and FH levels, and the body's inability to eliminate the excess hormones in the blood. The problem with getting your hormones tested is that there is such a wide range of normal levels, you are unlikely to find out anything. It's the balance of hormones and their fluctuations that affects what is going on more so than the specific levels. I'm in peri-menopause and might be getting close the end. The doctor just checked my levels and they came back normal, but it's clear I'm going through the change from my symptoms and my age. This link explains hormones with regards to perimenopause/menopause well. http://drsaulmarcus.com/hormone/natu...enopause.htmls

If you have a hormonal imbalance, you will have other symptoms such as PMS, breast tenderness, irregular periods, cramping, regularly-occurring acne usually the week before your period, etc. The acne tends to be on the lower part of your face (chin, cheek folds, around the mouth) and of the deep cystic type. I had all this. I read an article that suggested if acne is worsened or made better by birth control pills then it is likely hormonal in origin.

The natural treatments for addressing hormone imbalance are the same sorts of things that generally help rosacea-- clean eating, no junk, improve liver function, reduce stress (which reduces cortisol), etc. Personally, I won't consider any kind of hormone therapy because hormones in a delicate balance in the body and affect so many other systems. I think we are better served by trying to improve how our bodies eliminate the excess hormones. There are a number of herbs that help some people. I've tried a Chinese Medicine Formula but it did not work for me. I've had the best success with nettles for irregular periods, cramping and most PMS symptoms, which seem to be possibly linked to low iron and magnesium. It's possible it has helped my face as well as I have been seeing steady improvement since I started taking it. I've also tried milk thistle (a liver cleanser/tonic) for a few weeks but can't say that I noticed a marked difference. I stopped because I did not have clear information on how long it is safe to take milk thistle. After doing a little more reading this morning, I think I'm going to up my consumption of raw broccoli and see if it helps at all. After all, it has to be good for you.
    Thanks for the info lwemm. You backed up what I already suspected about hormone tests. I had to really push even to get those tests done because the doctor just wanted to get me out the door with the generic 'avoid red wine and keep out of the sun' advice. I was even a bit disappointed when I got the results, as I was hoping to finally find a clear cut reason behind all my skin troubles, but like you said, they probably wouldn't reveal any more subtle imbalances and fluctuations that may be going on beneath the surface anyway.

I too, suffered hormonal acne for many years. Dianette (hormonal treatment with an androgen blocker) was the only thing that cleared it up, but that wasn't safe to stay on long term so I ended up on accutane, and that's when my flushing and redness problems really began. Nowadays I don't really get spots on my face, but I have a permanent cluster of mild acne on each side of my neck, just below the jaw. That's got to be hormonal, right? It never clears up. I get pretty crazy hormonal mood swings too, so I do think something is up with my balance, although it may not be the total explanation of my rosacea problems.

I'm going to look into cleaning up my diet some more and maybe into the chinese herbs side of things too. Which ones did you find helpful for PMS?

Default Vitex for hormone balance

I've been dealing with a hormone imbalance issue for a few years now. I'd been spotting in between periods and towards the end of last year, it had gotten significantly worse! I was taking DIM for a while, and it was mostly working. However, around the end of last year I started to spot constantly! A natural food store here in town started putting our newsletters, and that's when I learned about Vitex. It's a natural herbal supplement that comes from the berries of the Chaste Tree. Since taking it, I've been spot free! I haven't found this to be helpful with flushing. I know we're talking about rosacea in this forum, but I thought since there was discussion about hormone imbalances, that maybe this could help some people out.
    Last edited by ElenoreMaple; 21st June 2015 at 09:25 PM.