Thread: Ivermectin Cream or Metronidazole? (Trial)

Default Ivermectin Cream or Metronidazole? (Trial)

"Results: A total of 962 subjects were randomized to receive IVM 1% (n = 478) or MTZ 0·75% (n = 484). At week 16, IVM 1% was significantly superior to MTZ 0·75% in terms of reduction from baseline in inflammatory lesions (83·0% vs. 73·7%; P < 0.001), observed as early as week 3 (Last Observation Carried Forward, LOCF). IGA results (subjects 'clear' or 'almost clear') also favoured IVM 1%: 84·9% vs. 75·4%, respectively (P < 0.001). Incidence of AEs was comparable between groups and local tolerability was better for IVM 1%. More subjects receiving IVM rated their global improvement as 'excellent' or 'good.'

Conclusions: Ivermectin 1% cream was significantly superior to MTZ 0·75% cream and achieved high patient satisfaction."

Here's the article if you'd like to read it all; you may need to create an account to access it.

Thanks Kimber. This is great news! I used Metronidazole for about a year and it did nothing for me. I would love to give Ivermectin a try but not sure it has been approved for use in Canada yet. I'll mention it to my derm when I see her in a few weeks. Right now I'm willing to try anything to get some relief from the P&Ps. I'm just recovering from a skin infection and it scared the life out of me so I really don't want a repeat of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Thanks Kimber. This is great news! I used Metronidazole for about a year and it did nothing for me. I would love to give Ivermectin a try but not sure it has been approved for use in Canada yet. I'll mention it to my derm when I see her in a few weeks. Right now I'm willing to try anything to get some relief from the P&Ps. I'm just recovering from a skin infection and it scared the life out of me so I really don't want a repeat of that.
    Update on this is that ivermectin has been approved for use in Canada and dermatologists are starting to prescribe it. In Canada this treatment will be marketed under the trade name of Rosiver®.