Thread: Rosacea getting better on a low carb diet

Default Rosacea getting better on a low carb diet

Hey Everyone

I am starting to have a little success on a low carb/anti candida protocol. My redness started after taking a course of antibiotics for a sinus infection. I first started with ocular symptoms then flushing but nothing major. I am now really fighting the candida as I have been taking antibiotics ever since. No one in my family has rosacea (I know this doesnt exactly matter) but I thought I'd throw that in there. My skin and eyes were completely fine before I took this course of antibiotics a few years ago.

Has anyone gotten their rosacea after a course of antibiotics taken for another reason? I have heard of one other person who has.

I developed rosacea after several courses of antibiotics and prednisone that did not defeat the cpn I had. (During the 10 years prior I had antibiotics approximately annually for sinus infections). I spent 4 months in bed fighting the cpn and when I was finally able to get up and around, rosacea set in. Was it the antibiotics, the prednisone, the cpn, my weakened immunity or the lack of digestive motility due to being immobile or all or some of the above? I cannot say for sure but am pretty sure the antibiotics did not help matters. It is pretty clear to me that rosacea is related to digestive problems, and antibiotics are notorious for causing those. I am currently working on trying to strengthen my digestion and see if I can fix the problems that have arisen.

Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure that is what's going on with me. I was fine until I took that one course of antibiotics. I really notice being bothered by sugar and grains and caffeine. Lol all the good stuff. I haven't cut out coffee yet but I plan to eventually. I don't touch grains or sugar. So hard to figure out how to go back to normal.

I'm scared to stop the antibiotics.

Are the antibiotics for the rosacea or the sinuses? I have had some improvement with my sinuses by using sinus rinsing and putting goldenseal in the saline solution when I start feeling like my sinus is getting blocked (also really babying myself if I felt any kind of sinus junk coming on).

What is your anti-Candida protocol and wouldn't you have more success without the antibiotics since they allow Candida to take hold? Not saying you should stop but rather questioning if there may be ways to ease your fears and find an alternate treatment that will work just as well for you. I understand where you are coming from-- I suffer bouts of fear that if I don't submit to the aggressive antibiotic treatments that are suggested to eradicate cpn that I will get worse, but right now my fear of what taking more strong antibiotics will do to me is greater and keeping me from going that route.

The only sugar I have been eating is berries in the evening. I always was one to eat lots of fruits, and the high sugar ones too. Ever since I've been using probiotics, antifungals and low sugar everything has gotten better. My skin has been clearing up, looking pale, my eyes have been less red and dry, my mood has lifted, and I'm slowly starting to feel hopeful that maybe I can go back to even close to normal. I'm not expecting this to cure me but even an improvement is great. When something is ruining your life, even minor improvements feel amazing. I think to myself "is this how I used to feel?"

I'll provide updates.

Living with rosacea is about educating yourself, learning & understanding your own personal triggers, and adjusting your lifestyle accordingly.
    Basically an alkaline diet is best for most people dealing with rosacea. Understand that certain things MAY increase flare-ups and visible symptoms for some people and not for others.

Find out what your own personal food & environmental "triggers" are and avoid them so you can avoid flare-ups of redness and acne.
    Many people find food with histamines aggravate their redness (eg. eggs, shellfish, pineapple, tomatoes, etc...)
    Extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, wind) can cause flare-ups, especially with unprotected skin or over extended periods.

- eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits (determine which ones your body tolerates best)

- avoid spicy foods, greasy foods, and foods with a high refined-sugar content. (these foods disrupt the natural digestive processes of the body)

- avoid extremely hot foods and drinks. (the heat will dilate blood vessels causing more redness and possible flare-ups)

- eat foods high in anti-oxidants; such as blueberries, cranberries, purple grapes, broccoli, etc..

Hi guys,

This is interesting that you both developed rosacea after a course of antibiotics. I never had any problems with my skin before I moved into a new flat. I moved into a new flat and 4 days in I woke up with red burning cheeks. Ever since then I have had rosacea, which comes and goes months at a time. The reason I touched on your point about antibiotics is because I probably had a course of antibiotics about once every two months. This was for tonsillitis, which I have now had removed. First I thought it must have been the environmental trigger which caused my rosacea, but now after reading your posts, thinking it could have been the antibiotics and weakened immune system? It is incredibly frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Hi guys,

This is interesting that you both developed rosacea after a course of antibiotics. I never had any problems with my skin before I moved into a new flat. I moved into a new flat and 4 days in I woke up with red burning cheeks. Ever since then I have had rosacea, which comes and goes months at a time. The reason I touched on your point about antibiotics is because I probably had a course of antibiotics about once every two months. This was for tonsillitis, which I have now had removed. First I thought it must have been the environmental trigger which caused my rosacea, but now after reading your posts, thinking it could have been the antibiotics and weakened immune system? It is incredibly frustrating.
    The antibiotics sound likely in your case. Some folks on here have had good luck with taking a probiotic. I think it is important to find a reputable brand and research the type before you try it. But they are readily available and if you couple that with a clean diet, perhaps you will see improvement. It is worth a try, IMO. Good luck.