Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have this?

Quote Originally Posted by adent3742 View Post
    I've been looking for months trying to find out what I have, and I finally came across this thread. It looks like we have a similar problem.

In my case, I've had clear skin since my teenage acne went away. Then last year I started getting occasional zits that didn't act like zits--they couldn't be popped, and it took nothing for the top layer of skin to come off. Now they're getting worse. I'll get a tiny little bump that starts weeping a light-honey-coloured fluid. No matter how much I dab it, it keeps weeping all day unless I leave it alone. If I leave it alone, it forms a large ball of fluid that gradually hardens into a yellow crust. If I remove the yellow crust, it seems to take off a lot of the surrounding skin, making it worse. Then the whole skinless area weeps a fluid, which crusts over, and the cycle begins again.

I've been using a styptic pencil on the bumps as soon as they start weeping, which probably isn't great for my skin. It stops the weeping, but then scabs over with a dark scab that's probably more noticeable than the honey-coloured ones.

I'm getting more and more of these, and I haven't found a diet yet that reduces them. Saw a doctor who tried me on Fucidin in case it was impetigo. Saw a derm who put me on doxycycline, metrogel, and now apo-minocycline, but nothing's worked. I keep getting breakouts almost daily.

How's your TTO/coconut oil been working lately? Which TTO and coconut oil did you use? I've heard some good things about TTO. Is is supposed to kill demodex mites, or is there another reason to use it? I'm supposed to try ivermectin next in case it's mites, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Thanks,

Chris
    The way you described how these pustules weep constantly and form a large crust is exactly what happens to me. It starts out as something relatively minor and ends up a mess. Sometimes I get inflammation as well but often the swelling comes after the weeping starts. What happens if you try dabbing a bit of TTO on the spot straight away witha q tip? Sometimes for me this causes the weeping to stop.

By the way, the TTO I use comes from Saje (if you're in Canada then you should be able to get it http://saje.ca/). The coconut oil is unrefined, organic, virgin coconut oil from Nutiva (Cosco sells it quite cheaply and you could also try the Canadian Superstore). I think we paid $27 from Cosco for 14 fl oz (2.3l). We cook with it as well. That is a pretty good price as you'll pay nearly double online.

Diet, yoga, sleep and positive mental attitude have all helped as well. I think I need to take this thing on holistically. Personally I would like a cure rather than a managed condition. However, first off I need to get things under control. Whilst things are manageable I can work on the full body transformation.

I might get a prescription for ivermectin when I next see my derm on Tuesday. We have already talked about this and she thinks I am a good candidate. She said that they are not clear on why it works - might be because it reduces inflammation rather than because it kills demodex. But I am becoming more and more convinced that it is demodex and my does inflammatory response to it that is the issue for me.

Lol. Thanks, Col. I nominate you as prez of Rosiland. Or you could be king?

a good laugh definitely helps matters considerably

Thanks, Col.

I've been in contact with Mesh138, and it sounds like all three of us have something very similar. The part that I find really odd is how easily the skin comes off under (around?) the yellow crusts. Not much fun having an open pinkish/reddish patch of missing skin on your face when you're working with the public every day.

I've never had seb derm but have pretty oily skin, so I'm looking forward to trying out the TTO. A little drying might not be a bad thing. But I've picked up some coconut oil and (on Mesh138's advice) some jojoba oil to help dilute the TTO and moisturize my skin.

Like you, I want a cure, not a management strategy, but I guess we have to start somewhere. I have a horrible diet now, so I'm going to try eating nothing but boring food for a while and see if I can stabilize the problem. Chicken, some rice, cauliflower, broccoli... hopefully nothing that can cause a flare-up. Then throw every kind of meds I can at it until it goes away. At that point I'll stop the meds one at a time and see if it stays gone. Ideally I'd like to get to a point where I can control it naturally with diet and relaxation, and no meds. But if I can't eat anything interesting, I may be willing to compromise with some meds and a more carb-alicious diet.

Thanks, Col.

I've been in contact with Mesh138, and it sounds like all three of us have something very similar. The part that I find really odd is how easily the skin comes off under (around?) the yellow crusts. Not much fun having an open pinkish/reddish patch of missing skin on your face when you're working with the public every day.

I've never had seb derm but have pretty oily skin, so I'm looking forward to trying out the TTO. A little drying might not be a bad thing. But I've picked up some coconut oil and (on Mesh138's advice) some jojoba oil to help dilute the TTO and moisturize my skin.

Like you, I want a cure, not a management strategy, but I guess we have to start somewhere. I have a horrible diet now, so I'm going to try eating nothing but boring food for a while and see if I can stabilize the problem. Chicken, some rice, cauliflower, broccoli... hopefully nothing that can cause a flare-up. Then throw every kind of meds I can at it until it goes away. At that point I'll stop the meds one at a time and see if it stays gone. Ideally I'd like to get to a point where I can control it naturally with diet and relaxation, and no meds. But if I can't eat anything interesting, I may be willing to compromise with some meds and a more carb-alicious diet.
    I get that. Right now, I am enjoying my diet. It's doesn't feel that restrictive actually now that the sugar withdrawal symptoms have gone. I still eat some cheese now and again (I do like some cheese) but no other diary, no coffee, no fried food and generally try to eat balanced. An awesome smoothie I started having occasionally is 2 dates, almond butter, hemp seed, almond milk and rice milk with a small amount of banana and/or raspberries. I know there's some natural sugar in the dates, banana and berries but these also provide some pretty good nutrients. I blend the whole lot up and it tastes like heaven. It doesn't have to be boring. I think variety and balance is good. And it should taste good.

Saw the derm today. She said whatever I'm doing seems to be working so to carry on. She was pleasantly surprised by my progress. She prescribed Rosiver (the brand name for ivermectin in Canada) as a plan B. The pharmacies are not stocking it yet so I'm going to persevere with the TTO until it comes in.

Col,

That's great that it's going well. I was told by one pharmacy that ivermectin wasn't available yet, but Shopper's Drug Mart (after 10 minutes on the computer) told me they could get it for me tomorrow if I wanted. So if you want it, ask around and someone might be able to get it for you.

I heard back from my derm today about some skin scraping tests. Apparently I have a few different types of bacteria kicking around that she thinks might be causing this. I'm pretty sure she said Pantoea agglomerans and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, as well as the bacteria that causes strep throat. She gave me two sets of antibiotics to take (penicillin VK 300mg and ciprofloxacin HCL 500mg). She's learned not to say that this should wipe it out, but she's cautiously optimistic. I'll know in 10 days if it's done anything or not. If not, probably ivermectin is my next step too.

Default Me too 6 yrs plus

I have been suffering with these for over six years, I have tried many antibiotic, and even more creams for all kinds of diagnosis. It is very frustrating, mine appear to be larger than the ones you have...I have had some temporary relief with laser treatments...but like you as soon as I timk I'm on the road to recovery, a new one breaks out...image.jpg

Unfortunately this is not the worst example....

Quote Originally Posted by Trimblm3 View Post
    I have been suffering with these for over six years, I have tried many antibiotic, and even more creams for all kinds of diagnosis. It is very frustrating, mine appear to be larger than the ones you have...I have had some temporary relief with laser treatments...but like you as soon as I timk I'm on the road to recovery, a new one breaks out...image.jpg

Unfortunately this is not the worst example....
    Hi Trimblm. Thanks for the post. Sorry that you are suffering. There's a few of us in the same boat here so I think that together we will find a way to deal with this - both mentally and physically. What diagnosis have you been given? You don't look like you have rosacea. Your skin on the whole looks quite clear and healthy. But that spot does look quite inflamed and painful. Do you get any other signs of infection like swollen glands or do you feel unwell? Have you had a skin scraping like adent3742? How about bleach baths and antibacterial washes? Have you tried cutting out sugar, dairy, coffee, processed foods, fried foods, clogging oils (I tend to only use coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil for cooking)? I would be interested to know what you've tried and if you've made any progress with any approach. Are your lesions always on your cheeks or do you get them elsewhere?

I found I was managing things quite well with an ayurvedic treatment program last year - diet, postive thinking, a topical, yin yoga and increasing my sleep. But I let things slide and things regressed with my skin so in April this year I used a lotion that the derm prescribed and all hell broke loose on my face. I stopped the lotion and have been treating with TTO/coconut oil for 5 weeks now. Things have been going really well although I started to break out a bit today (day 37 of treatment). I have about 25 active spots on my face. But the oozing is much less and the pustules are smaller. I also noticed a few on my chest where I'm also applying the oil. I think that the breakout is caused by die off of the newly hatched demodex mites. I am hoping I can kill these new mites before they lay eggs and continue the cycle. I have also been doing bleach baths twice a week and using Trisan, an antibacterial wash, twice a day to kill any bacteria that may be exacerbating things. I think these horrible things originally started when I stopped taking tetracycline and started applying ketoconozale/hydrocortisone and metronidazole in 2013. I think it's either the ketoconozale or the metronidazole that causes me problems because the lotion that I used in April had both of these in it

Mesh has had some success with sea buckthorn supplements. I believe he's taking 2x500mg twice a day and has noticed a reduction in symptoms.

That's about where we are at the moment. I hope that it gives you some solace to know that you are not alone here and we are all trying to find a solution. Keep positive and keep the focus on smooth, even skin because we will get there. Please keep us informed of developments. Hope that you see some improvement soon.

Col,

That's great that it's going well. I was told by one pharmacy that ivermectin wasn't available yet, but Shopper's Drug Mart (after 10 minutes on the computer) told me they could get it for me tomorrow if I wanted. So if you want it, ask around and someone might be able to get it for you.

I heard back from my derm today about some skin scraping tests. Apparently I have a few different types of bacteria kicking around that she thinks might be causing this. I'm pretty sure she said Pantoea agglomerans and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, as well as the bacteria that causes strep throat. She gave me two sets of antibiotics to take (penicillin VK 300mg and ciprofloxacin HCL 500mg). She's learned not to say that this should wipe it out, but she's cautiously optimistic. I'll know in 10 days if it's done anything or not. If not, probably ivermectin is my next step too.
    Good luck with the antibiotics adent. Let us know how you get on. And thanks for the info about Rosiver.