Thread: Diet Issues

Default Diet Issues

Okay, over the course of about 3 months I've been changing my diet for the better. Now, I'm not saying I've gone completely paleo, or vegetarian, but I cut out all sugary drinks, fried foods, fast food, all junk food in general. I have limited my dairy, sugars, carbs, breads; not eliminating them, but being conscious of not consuming an abundance of any. I've been having freshfruit for breakfast, and usually have a chicken salad of some sort for lunch/dinner. When I do have a regular meal, I am sure to include a salad before the meal, and make sure the meal isn't too junky. I've always been skinny, but I can feel myself loosing weight; I always ate a ton of everything, and never gained a pound; just another downfall of this dieting stuff.

I never flush, so how can I gauge if my diet is working? Nothing really makes my redness flare regardless of what I eat..

Honestly, since I've began my "improved" diet, my condition has progressed, as well as additional acne!! Backwards right? So frustrated .
    What to do.

I think first step would be to completely eliminate those foods that you still haven't and test for 2 months or so and see if anything changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ropecore View Post
    I think first step would be to completely eliminate those foods that you still haven't and test for 2 months or so and see if anything changes.
    Don't you think reducing my intake of these foods, like I have been, would at least show some signs of improvement if my problem was in my gut?
    That seems to be the consensus on here. Many say to start slow, eliminating crappy foods, limiting potentially threatening ones and see if there's improvement...

I'm hesitant to begin a complete paleo diet because I'm already loosing weight, that can't be healthy either.

Quote Originally Posted by key69 View Post
    Don't you think reducing my intake of these foods, like I have been, would at least show some signs of improvement if my problem was in my gut?
    That seems to be the consensus on here. Many say to start slow, eliminating crappy foods, limiting potentially threatening ones and see if there's improvement...

I'm hesitant to begin a complete paleo diet because I'm already loosing weight, that can't be healthy either.
    I don't think I would have seen any improvement taking the route you have because one of my biggest triggers is eggs. Once I recognized and got rid of eggs, which don't happen to be a common rosacea trigger from what I have read, my flushing and redness reduced enough to identify other foods as triggers. I think carbs and sugar probably are triggers but I can eat some without having problems whereas there are other triggers like the eggs that really get me red right away after a small amount. I might have concluded diet wasn't a cause if I hadn't figured out that trigger first. You might try to keep a food diary and see if you see any patterns in when your redness or acne is worse. Or just completely eliminate one thing at a time. If you don't have any improvement after 3 weeks and no worsening after adding it back in, keep eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by lwemm View Post
    I don't think I would have seen any improvement taking the route you have because one of my biggest triggers is eggs. Once I recognized and got rid of eggs, which don't happen to be a common rosacea trigger from what I have read, my flushing and redness reduced enough to identify other foods as triggers. I think carbs and sugar probably are triggers but I can eat some without having problems whereas there are other triggers like the eggs that really get me red right away after a small amount. I might have concluded diet wasn't a cause if I hadn't figured out that trigger first. You might try to keep a food diary and see if you see any patterns in when your redness or acne is worse. Or just completely eliminate one thing at a time. If you don't have any improvement after 3 weeks and no worsening after adding it back in, keep eating it.
    Thanks for the info Iwemm. Eggs is a pretty different trigger, that's for sure. Like I said, I don't flush, and my redness never really flares, sometimes it looks a bit worse than others, but those times are random, so it's likely that the food journal would not be useful.
    Eliminating a food, or couple of foods completely for 3 weeks would be best for me.

So, you have any suggestions on as too which foods I should start cutting first? I'm open to dropping more than one to speed the elimination process.
    Thanks.

There are so many elimination type diets to choose from, it's really confusing and difficult to choose one, I know. Maybe in your case, eliminating high histamine foods might be something to consider. You would not be too severely limited in your choices so would not have to worry about losing too much weight. Or try eliminating sugar if you want to start with one thing. I think you have to go with your gut instincts on this and try it if it feels like it might be helpful. I've actually had a good bit of success following my instincts about what to eat or eliminate as well as what sort of products to put on my face.

I suggest that you consult an allergist to be tested for exactly what you have an allergy or sensitivity to.
    I suggest that you also do not consume anything that you have a mild reaction where you get a numbness in your throat or lips. You never know then your throat will close up and you can not breathe. Not worth taking a chance on that.