Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clearance of severe adolescent rosacea types I & II with Accutane (w/ photos)

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I had the exact same problem with doxycycline. My entire face and head would flush. My derm thought I was crazy. After stopping doxy the flushing stopped. Weird.
    Hi Weezer,

It's interesting, isn't it? I actually have a couple amateur theories re: flushing on Doxycycline and Accutane that I'd like to share here based on research I've found. They center on PGE-2 production by Doxycycline and Minocycline and the upregulation of serotonin--or 5-HT--by Accutane and 5-HT1A receptors by Doxcycline and Minocycline. That said, I'm pretty exhausted right now. I'll save that post for tomorrow or Sunday sometime. I got caught in a snow storm, and then an ice storm that left my house without power . . . so I'm cold and don't have a lot of energy today!

Best,
    Spicey

Accutane - never heard of it. What is it. If it's prescription then I won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiceyGiraffe View Post
    Hi Greener,

I will try to respond to replies more promptly. I agree with you that many of those who improve likely leave the forums without posting their success story.

The research on isotretinoin (Accutane) is sound and vast. It's probably one of the most investigated medications out there. And yet I see so many people attribute every health problem they've ever experienced (real or imagined) to Accutane, even though there's no clinical evidence to support the majority of those claims. I think this scares away some potential Accutane patients, and they end up struggling with less effective medicines. Furthermore, many doctors are convinced that high-dose, short-term regimens are superior, when in fact longer-term, low-dose (or tapered-dose) regiments may be better for those with rosacea and related disorders, like perioral dermatitis.

Best,
    Spicey
    Spicey,
    I have a colleague who takes 40 mg per week. He says he'll do so until he dies or grows a third arm ! I honestly think it very low doses Accutane can be a miracle for a lot of people and can be taken long term.