Thread: Histamine and Rosacea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Histamine and Rosacea

I stumbled upon the link between Rosacea and Histamine intolerance few years ago, after getting histamine test done it came back low so lost interest in that hypothesis, but recently doing more research on the subject, this histamine theory makes so much sense, has anyone tried eliminatiing high histamine foods from diet and if so did it makes a huge difference. stress, exercise, heat, cold, diet etc releases histamine and if "we" are lacking that enzyme (DAO) which some of us are then we, we cannot break it down it causes flushing, rapid heart beat, hives, digestive issues etc. it does make a lot of sense. I think afew folks here have gotten relief by cutting out histamine foods and suppplementing with the essential enzyme.

Quote Originally Posted by kundalini View Post
    I stumbled upon the link between Rosacea and Histamine intolerance few years ago, after getting histamine test done it came back low so lost interest in that hypothesis, but recently doing more research on the subject, this histamine theory makes so much sense, has anyone tried eliminatiing high histamine foods from diet and if so did it makes a huge difference. stress, exercise, heat, cold, diet etc releases histamine and if "we" are lacking that enzyme (DAO) which some of us are then we, we cannot break it down it causes flushing, rapid heart beat, hives, digestive issues etc. it does make a lot of sense. I think afew folks here have gotten relief by cutting out histamine foods and suppplementing with the essential enzyme.

I haven't done much in research on that aspect of figuring out Rosacea but I do know that I started taking an antihistamine (Zyrtec) every morning and I had some reddish rash looking pimples on my left cheek near my nose and about a couple days of taking the Zyrtec, they went away completely. So Zyrtec once a day is on my daily regime.

I don't know. I eat a lot of fish and don't seem to flush from them but do from other foods. I never have had hay fever or other allergies to speak of. Right now fish is a major protein source for me so I do not wish to try to cut it out to experiment.

Default Histamine and Rosacea

I believe there is a link. Look at this article: http://thelowhistaminechef.com/the-r...ll-connection/

Also, if you cross reference the list of triggers on the Rosacea Website (http://www.rosacea.org/patients/mate...triggers.php); many are high histamine.

I have found the only cookbooks I am able to use which do not have "Rosacea Triggers" are the ones from the Low Histamine Chef http://shop.thelowhistaminechef.com/

@ terrieb zyrtec is a medication, it could probably cause side effects as well as it being a chemical hard on the liver. try daosin it's the enzyme needed to metabolise the histamine worth a shot, i've heard of a lot of very good success stories with that, i never tried it myself but definitely will soon.

@ lvemmm fish can be high in histamine, canned fish smoked fish etc, if it's canned it will eventually be high histamine the onger it;s there, fresh fish is different low histamine, i stay well away from fish in general as some can be high in mercury, i used always eat sardines daily until i foind out it's high histamine. look up the higjh andlow histamne foods you'll be surprised on what you see.

@ lvemmm fish can be high in histamine, canned fish smoked fish etc, if it's canned it will eventually be high histamine the onger it;s there, fresh fish is different low histamine, i stay well away from fish in general as some can be high in mercury, i used always eat sardines daily until i foind out it's high histamine. look up the higjh andlow histamne foods you'll be surprised on what you see.
    Yes, I know it is high in histamine but I don't flush after eating it--even the smoked sardines which I just had a couple of days ago. I looked up one list of high histamine foods and I have flushing reactions to about half of the things on there and no reaction to other half plus I react to cooked eggs which are supposed to be OK on a low histamine diet. I just avoid what makes me flush because that is less limiting. I also question why these things would never cause me to react before but suddenly they do. What has changed? certainly not that I am suddenly lacking an enzyme. It would seem it has to be more complex than that-- at least in my case.

I take Xyzal, one of the very newest antihistamines out there, double dose, 10 mg a day. It helps me a lot. Not just for seasonal allergy related flushing (I am not even allergic according to IgE blood tests but I very clearly flush from pollen, animal dander etc), but also when I eat histamine related foods.

This is super interesting to me! I was getting a ton of mouth sores a few years back, and came across articles related to high levels of histamine, and what it could cause. I would love to know if anyone has had success with a low histamine diet. I did find an article at http://www.histamine-intolerance.info/ which shows symptoms of high levels. There are so many ways to go with diet: high fat/low carb, anti-inflammatory, etc. I just don't know which way to start. I think I would like to try a low histamine diet first, and see if it does anything. I am not sure how long it would take to really get an idea if it is working though.

This is just amazing to me! Awhile ago I had looked up histamine issues, and found that I had most of the symptoms listed there. I actually didn't relate it to Rosacea though, I was looking at it more for the anxiety part. Anyway, so it kind of seems like it may not necessarily be rosacea, and instead just could be a flushing- which seems to be common with high levels of histamine. I also cannot sweat on my face- just gets hot and red. Which has always bothered me. My last derm, did a really quick-like 2 minute exam, and said yup rosacea. Never asked any other questions, and this was few years ago. I am going to a new derm on Wednesday, and am going to ask about her thoughts on this, and what she think about a low histamine diet.

There are so many diet plans to try: low carb/high fat, low histamine, anti-inflammatory. It is just so overwhelming. Anyway, I am going to see what she has to say, but I think I am going to try and start the low histamine diet- maybe Thursday- the day after my appointment, and it says do it for 30 days. So will keep you posted and let you know how I am doing.

Thank you for bringing this up!