Thread: Hydroxychloroquine

Default Hydroxychloroquine

Has anyone tried this recently? Ive read a few old threads on here about it and it's potential to cure some people's rosacea. I read it's a treatment for malaria and lupus but it can be effective on other skin conditions. Is it worth a shot?

Hi, I take it. Since last May. Am not sure if it works. I think it has helped. Weird because my doc has lowered my dose from 200 2x day to 200 mg 1x day and I'm flushing more. However, it never resolved my flushing completely and I started flushing again before she reduced the dose.

She put me on it because I had tested positive for ana then negative and finally lupus was ruled out. However I was having severe flushing. Colossal full face burgundy flushes. Scared my doc. I like taking it because I feel I have some level of protection with inflammation - but again, not sure it's working. I feel I've had more success from taking zoloft. I think that helped quiet things a little for me.

I'm actually trying to find something other than plaquenil to take as an anti-inflammatory. Like a supplement. Still experimenting.

If you have PnPs, I wouldn't mess with plaquenil. But if you have severe flushing, you might be able to convince your doctor. I had to tell mine about this forum and people here taking it. Then talk to a rheumy about it. He said it was worth a shot - takes 3-4 months to kick in at least.

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    Hi, I take it. Since last May. Am not sure if it works. I think it has helped. Weird because my doc has lowered my dose from 200 2x day to 200 mg 1x day and I'm flushing more. However, it never resolved my flushing completely and I started flushing again before she reduced the dose.

She put me on it because I had tested positive for ana then negative and finally lupus was ruled out. However I was having severe flushing. Colossal full face burgundy flushes. Scared my doc. I like taking it because I feel I have some level of protection with inflammation - but again, not sure it's working. I feel I've had more success from taking zoloft. I think that helped quiet things a little for me.

I'm actually trying to find something other than plaquenil to take as an anti-inflammatory. Like a supplement. Still experimenting.

If you have PnPs, I wouldn't mess with plaquenil. But if you have severe flushing, you might be able to convince your doctor. I had to tell mine about this forum and people here taking it. Then talk to a rheumy about it. He said it was worth a shot - takes 3-4 months to kick in at least.

I do have pimples so how would the plaquenil affect them?

I'm not certain, but am guessing the plaquenil would be overkill. The anti-nflammatory effect of the drug would probably help your inflammatory bumps. But I don't think a doc would want to prescribe it for that. I might be wrong, though.

I see one side effect listed is acne. Thats a big worry as my problem is redness and pimples. I suppose I will just trial and error it. Thanks for your quick response hg24

Anyone else have an input on this drug?

Anyone else have experience with plaquenil?

Two weeks in.. small improvement! I'll know if it's working by the End of the month according to my derm