Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remission of rosacea induced by reduction of gut transit time

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post
    I think subtype is a false approach to rosacea. For me, there is:

1. Rosacea caused by demodex mites
    2. Rosacea caused by the gut

We can have either one or the other, or both. And so the patients develop different symptoms and the doctors categorize them into subtypes.

But the question you should ask yourself is: do I have digestive problems? Flush after meals? Bloating? Other symptoms like fatigue, hormonal problems, bad sleep?

If so, there is a good chance that you have SIBO and not only demodex mites
    I have SIBO, I tested positive last month. However, I donít have any stomach symptoms, just rosacea which consists of constant warmth on face, with mild redness and severe burning and hypersensitivity. Will treat SIBO to see whether my skin improves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryohiku View Post
    I think subtype is a false approach to rosacea. For me, there is:

1. Rosacea caused by demodex mites
    2. Rosacea caused by the gut

We can have either one or the other, or both.
    Ryohiku, have you solved your rosacea then? If you're able to localize it to these issues, there are already known solutions which should work. I'm skeptical those are the only causes.

I have subtype 1 (persistent redness + flushing) and I'm not convinced either of those are issues for me.

Quote Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
    Ryohiku, have you solved your rosacea then? If you're able to localize it to these issues, there are already known solutions which should work. I'm skeptical those are the only causes.
    I have subtype 1 (persistent redness + flushing) and I'm not convinced either of those are issues for me.
    Just curious, what do you think subtype 1 is? Have you learned that subtypes are an old school approach to rosacea and the phenotype classification improved the diagnosis of rosacea?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Seb91 View Post
    Do you think SIBO can contribute to subtype 1 rosacea? I tested positive for high hydrogen levels but assumed that SIBO was more linked to subtype 2? What are your thoughts?
    I will be honest I havenít a clue how SIBO is involved in rosacea, although interestingly a lot of medical literature is pointing to systemic inflammation along the IL 17 pathway for rosacea and perhaps this is where SIBO might be contributing to rosacea. Iím seeing SIBO more as a potential trigger than a cause of rosacea, as a lot of people have sibo and donít have rosacea. So perhaps our skin is genetically programmed to react in that way. I will say a GI doc I spoke to said that lactolose breath tests give a lot of false positives for SIBO, hence why I was also tested with a Glucose test which is more accurate.

I think it is not a bad idea to try a pro-kinetic if you do suspect SIBO. Also itís worth following dr mark Pimentel on Twitter and Facebook as he is really advancing the science in the area of SIBO, apparently they have isolated the bacteria that causes SIBO and are working on new treatments etc.

I linked this on another thread but again gut inflammation is implicated again in this recent study, its not terribly new news, but it in my case it is interesting that people with Crohnís disease have a higher incidence of SIBO.

https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/...y_bowel.1.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hi Seb

How are you treating your SIBO?

Did you ever take Rifraxam?

If so, was there any flushing from die off?

Many thanks,
    Bluedog
    Hi Bluedog,

I was going the natural route with treating my SIBO using Candibactin. However, I think the issue was that I didn't know how effective it was so decided to take Rifraxam as my brother used this to treat his SIBO and it worked. I have no doubt the Candibactin would work just as, if not more effectively, as I have read literature about its effectiveness, but I liked that Rifraxam was a set 2-week course followed by a 6-week low FODMAP diet.

I only started the treatment on Friday so hard to say whether there is any die off yet. My skin is definitely more inflamed today, but luckily I have Wednesday - Sunday off work, so hoping if there is any significant die off, I can manage it better being at home.

Will keep you updated on progress.