Thread: Sulfur Kills Demodex

Default Sulfur Kills Demodex

Just wanted to mention sulfur, since I haven't seen it on this board for a long time.

For those who can't tolerate tea tree oil, who don't have access to RX meds, or want to try something really inexpensive and time-tested, sulfur is another OTC treatment for demodex; it's also used to kill scabies.

Evidence:

http://www.obgynnews.com/fileadmin/q.../076050321.pdf

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/arti...ticleid=530150

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22183101

There are other clinical studies and reports if you use Google's Scholar, PubMed, or have access to an institution's databases.

Topical Solutions:

What I've read states that 10% is a good solution. Some people use sulfur preparations for animals, such as nu-stock, and dilute them with their preferred lotion/moisturizer. I've used Clearasil's Adult Acne, which has 8%, but I put a good layer of shea butter under it. Sulfur is really drying, so even 8% can be irritating, and I have super oily skin.

I've seen that most use a lotion for about 12 hours/day, so putting on before bed should suffice.

Shampoos: Look specifically for selenium sulfide if you want to give this treatment a try.

Selsun Blue Medicated contains 2.5% selenium sulfide, and
    Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength has 1%, I believe.

Soaps: I've read that soaps are okay for the body, but we should avoid real soaps on the face:

Braunfels Labs makes a 10% sulfur soap bar
    Dr. Kaufman's has 2% sulfur and zinc oxide

Overall Success:

I've read posts in the past that say this is a great total-body treatment for success because you can use the product on all parts of the body to avoid their migrating tendencies.

During Initial Treatment: Other precautions I've read with this treatment
    Dry on highest dryer setting all bedding that can't be washed, as often as possible
    Wash linens in borax and dry on high
    Change pillow cases nightly
    Freeze facial powders, hair brushes, etc. overnight
    Clean brushes daily
    Don't double dip into ANY makeup or cosmetic products, to prevent recontaminating
    Don't forget, if you have a significant other: s/he could be sharing mites with you!

Treatment Time:
    I've read that you should try for a three-day all-over treatment, then break for a day or two if skin is dry or irritated, although I don't know about this approach for sure. From what I've read, you can keep going, but I'd caution against that because of bad initial reactions, which make us abandon treatments.

I've read that demodex are impossible to kill forever. We are constantly recolonized, so maintaining the treatment plan is important. Once you feel it's under control, these products can be used 1-2x/week.

Kimber, I have to agree with you. I have been using Prosacea now since early Nov, and it has been very successful in keeping my p&ps away, and it's only 1%. I wash my face, put on my metrogel, wait 5 mins, then put the Prosacea on. I then wait until everything dries and then put my moisturizer on. And when I do get the occasional bump the Prosacea dries it up quick. So it's been a Godsend for me.

Default Neutralize redness & absorb oil

Hi Beelover,

I'm glad you've found this too. There's also a great option for those who don't want to add another cream to their arsenal. It's a sulfur powder that I use to neutralize redness. I just dust it on after my sunscreen, which is very creamy.

This is the one I use. A tub of it's only $4, and it's lasted me nearly two years. I think it's also great for absorbing oil for those of us with oily skin; I think those with dry skin would need a moisturizer with it.

Default Tea Tree Oil Vs. Sulfur.

Which would you recommend trying first - tea tree oil or sulfur?

just want to add my $.02.

i have been PP/rosacea/SB clear for 2 years now. I used Nu-Stock.

it was a struggle.

Kimber mentioned that you should abandon if symptoms worsen, however I have to disagree. When treating for demodex mites a sign that the treatment is effective is if your condition seems to worsen. you have to push through this.

My basic understanding is that the redness/PP's/acne is brought on by the mites leaving waste products and dying in your skin. your skin obviously doesn't like this and gets irritated. This can cause lots of bacteria which also can cause acne. So if you use Nu-Stock or some other product that targets the mites, you will expect even more waste/dead bodies. Which means things will appear to be worse before they get better.

For me, it took me around 2 months of using Nu-stock. First they were on my face. I got rid of them there and they ran to my neck. So I applied to my neck and they ran to the other side of my neck.

Keep in mind that I was NOT washing my sheets or anything like that. I was putting on Nu-Stock/Cetaphil mix and living normally. This could be a cause for the move to my neck (move from the pillow).

So again, I was able to clear up the problem with a VERY AGGRESSIVE use of sulfur. Its not for everyone, but if you are gonna do it, I recommend you commit.

Maybe I am lucky, but I no longer need to use sulfur. I seem to be in full remission. Sometimes i'll see some redness before I sleep, but by morning it is usually gone. I think my sulfur attack has thinned the number of mites on my face to numbers that are manageable by my immune system. If you do choose to do this method and find that they return, I suggest taking something to boost your immune system. raw garlic would be ideal. I can't prove this, just thinking that since our bodies are supposed to be the ones fighting these mites, perhaps people who can't seem to keep their mites from overpopulating could supplement with immunoboosters. perhaps this could help keep them off without having to keep reapplying the smelly sulfur.

Hello just a quick question about sulfur soap,im currently using metrosa gel on its own but wanted to try sulfur soap too.Can i use both together?

Quote Originally Posted by it_burns View Post
    just want to add my $.02.

Kimber mentioned that you should abandon if symptoms worsen, however I have to disagree. When treating for demodex mites a sign that the treatment is effective is if your condition seems to worsen. you have to push through this.
    No, I didn't suggest that we SHOULD abandon! Just the opposite: I'm suggesting that's the problem when we overdo it, so my suggestion is to progress and use cautiously.

Quote Originally Posted by acalnan View Post
    Which would you recommend trying first - tea tree oil or sulfur?
    Acalnan, I react badly to TTO, although I can use the active ingredient in it, terpenin-4-ol, which I used during an ocular rosacea problem, so I'd say to start with sulfur, but it's dependent upon your skin. I personally like adding sulfur to my products instead of buying pre-made because I can use products I know don't cause flares, and I can control the amount. I use this sulfur to add to my cleanser and shampoo.