Page 20 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Soolantra

Quote Originally Posted by danpower84 View Post
    Hello everyone… My name is Dan and I’m a 31 year old doctor. I just wanted to share my experience with Soolantra with you all.

I will preface this by saying I am not a dermatologist. I am training in orthopaedic surgery, and so my dermatology knowledge is pretty much limited to the minimum amount required to pass finals at medical school. Only 6 months ago, I knew virtually nothing about rosacea, other than it existed. And no, I also do not have any pecuniary interest in Soolantra either.

Now I have never suffered with bad skin. Aside from a few pubescent pimples which nearly all teenagers suffer from, my skin has been clear. Inexplicably 6 months ago, my whole face broke out into horrible blotches and pimples. But they were not your typical spots: they didn't come to a head, just raised red lumps which took a long time to go (2-3 weeks). I even attempted to ‘pop’ a few- which released nothing but clear, oedematous fluid. There were also red, scaly patches of skin. These were not raised at all, but looked just as unsightly. At first I thought it was just stress, and they would soon go. But more and more began to crop up. What was most distressing to me was that they often left a brownish discolouration of my skin once they had gone. I also began noticing telangiectasia on my cheeks and bridge of my nose.

I felt miserable- I avoided looking in the mirror, and my self esteem began to suffer. I hated it when talking to someone and I could see them talking directly to the breakout on my cheek. So I ran a google search and pretty quickly reached the conclusion that it was type 2 rosacea. So I took myself off to the GP- who diligently gave the ‘incurable but how to avoid breakouts’ spiel. He also prescribed topical metronidazole and oral doxycycline.

At first this seemed to control some of the redness, but it still seemed that every week there would be a new cluster of pimples. My skin also continued to look bumpy and uneven, particularly when stood directly under a light source. But I persevered for upwards of 6 weeks, to little improvement. I also tried countless other avenues: stopping drinking alcohol, stopping smoking, going gluten free, using hypo-allergenic surgical face masks- all really to no avail.

It was during this time that I found this site, and began reading about the demodex theory and Soolantra. To my mind it made perfect sense. The theory that it is in fact the enteric bacteria released when the mite dies which causes the intense inflammatory reaction could well explain doxycycline’s ability to reduce redness, as the enteric bacteria are sensitive to this antibiotic. But doxycycline would have limited activity against the underlying cause: the mite. My parents’ pet dog had also been suffering from an odd skin condition over the same time frame: his fur was falling out in clumps, leaving him bald over his back and legs. I did wonder if this was in fact demodetic mange. I also had noticed that the breakouts were all in very close proximity to each other- and predominated over the right side of my face. I have since learned that predominantly unilateral rosacea necessitates looking for alternate diagnosis. Such as demodex dermatitis.

So I returned to the GP, and asked for a prescription for the Soolantra. Frustratingly, he refused. Obviously I was really irritated by this, and, as self-prescribing is frowned upon, instead visited a dermatologist working in my hospital. She had no problems with prescribing it for me. I excitedly rushed home to try it that evening. I had read that this was the time when the mites were most active, and so applied it every evening around 6 o’clock.

I did not experience the cooling sensation others have detailed. But I will say the cream itself has a very neutral smell- I was half expecting it to smell like a chemical insecticide. It also works well as a moisturiser. I have been taking it together with the doxycyline- my theory is the Soolantra will kill the mite, and the doxycycline will take care of the enteric bacteria which are released when they die off. This is not evidence based in any way.

As others have seen, after about 5 days I did get a flare up- but this rather encouraged me as I was sure this meant that the critters were dying. Then again at around 3 weeks the same thing happened. Given the gestation period of a demodex egg is around this time, I expect this was a the next generation of mites dying off. Gradually I noticed my skin clearing up.

At the same time, I purchased some topical ivermectin from the local pet store for my parents’ dog. They applied this every morning and night to the bald spots on his back and legs.

I’ve now been on Soolantra for about three months. And my skin is approaching looking normal again. As others have seen, the texture is once again smooth. No new pimples have appeared for nearly a two months, and I feel so relieved in myself.

I don’t know what everyone else’s experience is of getting Soolantra from their GP, but I was fairly shocked when he wouldn't prescribe it, especially given how its clinical effectiveness is fairly well documented. I certainly would have no qualms in prescribing it for anyone suffering from this condition.

Anyway thanks for reading- it was quite cathartic writing this and hope it contains some information which may help others. Dan
    Congrats! It's always encouraging to read a success story! Glad the puppy is feeling better, too.

Use Nu-stock on the puppy,even humans used it diluted on themselves before Soolantra was released. I am glad you made it. The GP wasn't sufficiently informed about it,Soolantra is a new medication. Collegiality is vanishing,sadly.

Default In LOVE with Soolantra!

I had a prescription of soolantra filled for two months before I finally took the plunge and decided to try it. My skin was doing well and I really didn't want to cause a flareup. My dermatologist has been very excited by the results he's seen with his patients so far so that's what made me finally break down and try it.

4 weeks in and I can't stop touching my skin because it is so silky and smooth. I've had quite a bit of red wine over the past week and didn't flare up at all. The dry patches I had before have disappeared and the redness on my face has greatly diminished. I didn't have any issues with soolantra - there was a little flareup a week into using it but that lasted a day and other than that, it has only been a positive experience.

I had type two rosacea but sometimes would have no pustules, just redness and other times I would struggle with multiple pustules on my face (that took forever to heal). I've had redness on my cheeks for 15 years and only had pustules for the past 5.

I'll keep updating with my progress but I must say, I am so excited and at this rate, feel like this might put my rosacea into remission. I love going out and not thinking about my face at all. Also, I did stop using financea and other than that, I am using Cerave hydrating cleanser, Clinique Moisturesurge, La Roche Posey tinted sunscreen and this combo seems to be working extremely well for me.

That's great, Ellie!

Did you have flushing, too? Did you use the Soolantra at night? With a moisturizer over it?

Hi hg24,

Yes I do have flushing - especially with hot drinks, temperature extremes and usually alcohol with red wine being the worst. I use soolantra every night on a clean face and usually just use it alone or add cream 20 mins later if my skin is dry. I'm not sure if you have to wait to add cream though because soolantra comes mixed with cetaphil. I actually had ridiculously dry skin with my rosacea and was using so much cream before but I'm finding that soolantra is correcting that as well so I often just use it alone now and then apply a bit of cream with my tinted sunscreen in the morning.

The only other detail I can think to add is that when I first started using soolantra, it made my face a bit more red after application for about 10 mins and it felt itchy but that could have just been my dry skin. I don't find it does that anymore though, it just feels soothing on my skin now.

Quote Originally Posted by danpower84 View Post
    [...]released nothing but clear, oedematous fluid
    Hi Dan, you mentioned some words in your posts that are similar to the *unknown* disease described here: http://oozingyellowcrusts.com/t/welc...crusts-forum/8
    Can you look at the photos to see whether you have the same condition?

I've found Soolantra so incredibly helpful that I'm changing insurance companies just to ensure that I get continue to get it. Cigna is removing Soolantra from its formulary, and when I called, I was told that I have to show that I used both metrogel and Finacea before they will approve Soolantra. So, good-bye Cigna and hello Blue Cross Blue Shield!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
    I've found Soolantra so incredibly helpful that I'm changing insurance companies just to ensure that I get continue to get it. Cigna is removing Soolantra from its formulary, and when I called, I was told that I have to show that I used both metrogel and Finacea before they will approve Soolantra. So, good-bye Cigna and hello Blue Cross Blue Shield!
    Hi Fantine, That's curious. Did Cigna tell you why they weren't covering it? I thought it was fairly in line costwise with Finacea. What is with these crazy insurers?!

Do you have subtype 2 rosacea - papules and pustules?

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    Hi Fantine, That's curious. Did Cigna tell you why they weren't covering it? I thought it was fairly in line costwise with Finacea. What is with these crazy insurers?!

Do you have subtype 2 rosacea - papules and pustules?
    No, Cigna didn't provide an explanation, and I didn't bother asking. I was actually very surprised that they even covered it initially.

As long as I use Soolantra, I only have subtype 1. Soolantra completely eliminated the P&Ps I had. That's why I'm so desperate to keep it.

Do state workers with insurance get Soolantra for $25 with the maximum savings card on the Soolantra website? The details were confusing..

Also, is this even worth using to eliminate or greatly reduce redness? I have some bumps but I don't have what I see in most pictures as far as P&P are concerned. Mainly I'm concerned about the texture of my skin lately and the semi-permanent redness in my cheeks. Today has been a bad face day for me and I still can't pinpoint any specific triggers.
    Last edited by aafdup; 2nd December 2015 at 04:56 PM.