Thread: Do I have early stages of Rhinopyhma?

Default Do I have early stages of Rhinopyhma?

Hello,

Since i was 13 i have suffered with really bad skin. A lot of spots and redness that was only really around my nose area. They were so big they have been described as boils. I have always known that my skin on my nose is really bad and so has everyone else (People have asked what is wrong with me, a psoriasis sufferer pulled me to the side and asked me the question "Do you have psoriasis?" etc. I have known myself that i have the worst skin on the nose area I have ever seen so when i found out about large red noses and rosacea.. Rhinopyhma just seems inevitable to happen.

From this image, do you think i have it?

rosacea.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AW9405 View Post
    Hello,

Since i was 13 i have suffered with really bad skin. A lot of spots and redness that was only really around my nose area. They were so big they have been described as boils. I have always known that my skin on my nose is really bad and so has everyone else (People have asked what is wrong with me, a psoriasis sufferer pulled me to the side and asked me the question "Do you have psoriasis?" etc. I have known myself that i have the worst skin on the nose area I have ever seen so when i found out about large red noses and rosacea.. Rhinopyhma just seems inevitable to happen.

From this image, do you think i have it?

rosacea.jpg
    What were the first symptoms with your nose, did it start with bad flushing on the nose?
    Your nose does look swollen from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mknlvi View Post
    What were the first symptoms with your nose, did it start with bad flushing on the nose?
    Your nose does look swollen from the pictures.
    I'm just so confused, I think they are just big spots that completely disfigure my nose. After they burst it goes back to normal. Is this just spots or is THAT condition what rhinophyma is?

Quote Originally Posted by AW9405 View Post
    I'm just so confused, I think they are just big spots that completely disfigure my nose. After they burst it goes back to normal. Is this just spots or is THAT condition what rhinophyma is?
    It's difficult to say as the research to poor to know how Rhinophyma starts.
    Have you ever had any severe flushing on your nose where it turns bright red?.

Default Was the first swelling only able to be felt not really seen? Or not?

I have a lump same place as that but I think it is recent, it's not yet really visible but I think it's new

I'm worried that I have the early stages of rhinophyma. I've had bad acne for 10 years now, but most of it is controlled through a strict regimen. However, the skin on my nose remains ultra oily, with enlarged pores and redness (nothing too jarring). I always assumed my nose was red because of the ultra oily skin, plethora of blackheads and pores. I naturally have a thick nose, but I'm getting worried now.

Does having an oily nose, with enlarged red pores automatically mean you have rhinophyma? I don't have any rough texture or anything.

I'm worried. I do not have rosacea on my face either.

Hi there, Can you go to a dermatologist for a diagnosis? That's the best thing to do. Having an oily nose and redness does not indicate rhinophyma. Not even sure that it could be rosacea. You may just have inflammation extending from acne. Even a sinus issue/allergy could cause that. I would go to a dermatologist to ease your mind. Even if it were rhinophyma, which it isn't, it's highly treatable these days. Don't be scared by the Internet photos. But get thee to a doctor so you can knock it out, whatever it is!

Quote Originally Posted by hg24 View Post
    Hi there, Can you go to a dermatologist for a diagnosis? That's the best thing to do. Having an oily nose and redness does not indicate rhinophyma. Not even sure that it could be rosacea. You may just have inflammation extending from acne. Even a sinus issue/allergy could cause that. I would go to a dermatologist to ease your mind. Even if it were rhinophyma, which it isn't, it's highly treatable these days. Don't be scared by the Internet photos. But get thee to a doctor so you can knock it out, whatever it is!
    Thank you so much for your reply. I've been worrying a lot all day, but reading your response made me feel better. My dermatologist is currently on vacation, he'll back on the 8th of September. I plan on giving his office a call and see if I can see him (though that won't be for awhile since he's really busy).

I'm not too sure if I have rosacea. Aside from the enlarged pores that are a bit red, I do not have any of the other symptoms (no flushing, patches of red skin, swelling etc.) I think I'm going to stop trying to self diagnosis via the internet. It's a bad idea, and it's negatively affecting my health. I'll try not to fixate on it too much and just wait until I see the dermatologist for a proper assessment.

Totally understand. We all do the self diagnosing thing. Hope you enjoy the rest of the summer and can see the doc next month.