Thread: Severe flare-up recovery tips (swelling, red, flaking)

Default Severe flare-up recovery tips (swelling, red, flaking)

Hello Forum

I've come to Australia to visit my son, and unluckily there have been a few very very very hot sunny days. It has brought on the worst episode I've had since my first flare up about 7 years ago.

I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone has any similar experiences with their rosacea and how they handle it.

My flare-ups have a distinct pattern. I get a tingly sensation, particularly in my lips and the creases that run from my nose to the corners of my mouth. Then the flushing starts and spreads over the course of a couple of days over the typical areas: right across both cheeks, chin, forehead. The tingling spreads deep into the flesh, and then the burning starts and then the swelling. The swelling progresses over a couple of days, then the flesh seems to get hard. Then it gradually turns a corner, and the swelling and redness subside very gradually, and the top layer of skin starts to flake like crazy. This whole process can take up to 10 days to work itself through if the flare up is severe.

I have not had a full blown flare up for some years. But this time I have. Of course, I used plenty of 50+ sunsreen etc, but I think maybe the long journey from the UK, combined with the extreme temperature change and very very strong sunlight have proved a bit too much.

What I'm hoping for is that maybe someone has some advice on managing my poor devastated skin through the post swelling and skin sloughing process. My face is still quite swollen, but I am using anti-inflammatories, anti-histamines and cool compresses to get by and things are easing off. Not going out in the sun (and the very hot weather seems to have eased off as well thank goodness).

The top layer of my skin though is ruined - just like a dreadful sunburn in-fact though it really isn't that. It's hard, almost plasticky feeling, and tight even though I am putting on some Hope's Relief occasionally. I know it'll all clear eventually and settle to an almost normal colour and texture...I just guess I'm looking for some moral support and if I'm really honest maybe some kind of miracle??? (Lol, I can't help being optimistic..better than being miserable which is what I was before...).

Fingers crossed!

Default Here's what my flare up looks like...(it ain't pretty)

You can see how swollen my cheeks are, and they are hot and quite hard to the touch. It's very painful and distressing. If anyone has had similar issues and found a treatment that helps ease this I'd be so grateful. At the moment all I can really do is wait it out, which is frustrating to say the least.

I am treating - cool compresses, aspirin and ibuprofen, anti-histamine, and (a new thing for me) I am using cocoa butter vaseline in an attempt to keep the skin supple. As far as putting anything on my skin when it's like this there is one criteria only - does it sting? Most things sting like crazy. The cocoa butter vaseline actually feels soothing which is amazing.

It may seem like a crazy choice, and it does mean not only is my face bright burning red and swollen, but also shiny..not a great look I guess, but I am truly beyond caring what I look like at this stage. I just want relief.

At this point, the top layer of my skin gives up the ghost, and sort of cracks and flakes off. Like peeling sunburn really I suppose, except that it's got too hot from the inside and not from too much sunshine.

On the plus side, it does mean I'm on the home straight with this particular flare-up, though how long it will take is anyone's guess. At least another two days I reckon before I begin to look normal.

So...anything you've got by way of advice or tips..I'm listening.

Fingers crossed.
    Attached Images

it may be a bad allergic reaction to the different microorganisms from where you are in Australia, you changed the climate, you also changed the microbes. Should be fine in a few days if optimist!
    Also consider what you have been eating recently and go with something that you KNOW will not make you flush.. or not that much. Try to avoid dusty places over there and air conditioning, better get a hand fan or something if it is too hot
    I hope you get well!

Have you tried putting on pure aloe vera on your face? Birdie has told me before that she keeps a bottle in her fridge to keep it cold and then puts some on her skin to soothe and cool it. I'm so sorry you're going through this, it looks so very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaK View Post
    You can see how swollen my cheeks are, and they are hot and quite hard to the touch. It's very painful and distressing. If anyone has had similar issues and found a treatment that helps ease this I'd be so grateful. At the moment all I can really do is wait it out, which is frustrating to say the least.

I am treating - cool compresses, aspirin and ibuprofen, anti-histamine, and (a new thing for me) I am using cocoa butter vaseline in an attempt to keep the skin supple. As far as putting anything on my skin when it's like this there is one criteria only - does it sting? Most things sting like crazy. The cocoa butter vaseline actually feels soothing which is amazing.

It may seem like a crazy choice, and it does mean not only is my face bright burning red and swollen, but also shiny..not a great look I guess, but I am truly beyond caring what I look like at this stage. I just want relief.

At this point, the top layer of my skin gives up the ghost, and sort of cracks and flakes off. Like peeling sunburn really I suppose, except that it's got too hot from the inside and not from too much sunshine.

On the plus side, it does mean I'm on the home straight with this particular flare-up, though how long it will take is anyone's guess. At least another two days I reckon before I begin to look normal.

So...anything you've got by way of advice or tips..I'm listening.

Fingers crossed.
    Dear Gina,
    I had a flare last year, I drank lots of iced cucumber water and would brew green tea, let it cool and put in a jar in the fridge to be applied topically on a compress. The cold green tea compress provided instant relief from the burning. Make a new batch every other day. It is a bit of a bother, but worth it. I just would use a paper towel for the compresses. Apparently the tea is anti-inflammatory, w.o. putting your stomach through hell with pills. Sending healing vibes your way. Do take care and good luck. Will be praying for your recovery.
    Last edited by KRC; 12th March 2015 at 05:49 AM.

Default Frozen wash cloths?

Gina, I imagine you have tried about everything, so please forgive me for mentioning something we use often for swelling. Have you tried wetting some soft washing cloths and freezing them to drape over your face to reduce swelling? Also, large frozen bags of peas and drape those over with a thin, protective cloth between may help.

Default Feel your pain

Hi
    I have had about four flares exactly like what you've been dealing with. My derm says mine is a rare, progressive form that could become permanent. Here's what I'm using:
    metradinazole, both gel and cream (for when it's very dry), plus doxcycline twice a day. So important that you stay out of the sun and use a zinc-based sunscreen. In the US the great one is Vanicream, not sure if it's sold in the UK. The good news is at least you've got the great climate back home to work for you (I lived in the UK for ten years and ironically desperately miss the weather as I'm not subjected to extreme cold in winter and humid hot in summer).
    I know what you mean about the time it takes to pull out of a flare. So frustrating. I also use Sarna for face lotion and Vanicream soap for washing.
    Don't know if any of that will help, but I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Last edited by jeninMadison; 30th March 2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: didn't include my message

Default Gel mask

I know this thread is a few months old now, but someone will come across it when theyíre looking for advice about how to deal with a major flush so it thought itís still worth my saying that the best thing Iíve found to get a flush down quick is a gel mask. I keep one in the fridge all the time, so itís ready for me if ever I need it. Hereís the best one Iíve found so far..

Note.. itís not stored in the freezer... this particular gel mask would burst in the freezer.. some donít, but anyway a really really ice cold mask on the face isnít good for the skin either.

I love my mask... sometime I just put it on for a treat, even if Iím not flushing!