Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using ‎Terpinen-4-ol?

Default Anyone using ‎Terpinen-4-ol?

Hello all, I have P&P. Went off all grains/sugar three years ago and saw some improvements; I also use azeliac acid, but I still flare several times a month. I ordered ‎Terpinen-4-ol, the active ingredient in TTO, after reading this clinical study.

I used it on my lashes because I had a definite ocular infestation there; I could see them (as shown in the picture within this study). I actually never realized that's what it was until I'd read this. I diluted it with mineral oil to a 10% Terpinen-4-ol solution, and applied morning and night. Within three days, my lashes/lids were completely clear and the redness was also gone.

Anyway, I'm thinking of using this on the rest of my face and wondering if anyone has used this (not regular TTO). Without all the irritants of the other ingredients in TTO, I'm just about ready to try it. I ordered the Terpinen-4-ol isolate online for about $12 for 1oz.

Default Oops, meant 3-4 flares a year, not month.

Oops, meant 3-4 flares a year, not month.

Terpinen-4-ol is the active ingredient in Cliradex lid wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuan View Post
    Terpinen-4-ol is the active ingredient in Cliradex lid wipes.
    Yes, that's the study I linked in my post.

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Please do try it and post your results! I am very curious about this.

I am currently doing the TTO method that has been discussed a lot here. I recently bought a new bottle of TTO and noticed that its smell was not as strong as the old bottle I had. I was afraid it wouldn't work as well so I did some googling and read a bit about Terpinen and Cineole (not sure I spelled that right) and how the Cineole is what gives TTO that menthol-like quality but it's the Terpinen that does the work.

Anyway, like you, the Rosacea is affecting one of my eyes but I've found the TTO/carrier oil mix to be too irritating to put near my eyes. I have had very good luck though with Kiss My Face tea tree hand soap. It is ph-balanced and I haven't found it to be any more (or less) irritating than baby shampoo. My next step was to try the Cliradex wipes if the soap didn't help.

I would gladly give up the TTO in favor of the Terpinen oil if it works though.

I have it on my cheeks as well. I'm on my third week of the TTO/argan oil method and it's working pretty well. From past experience I know it takes a long time for the skin to heal, so for now it's mostly a waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
    This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a few weeks.

I am currently doing the TTO method that has been discussed a lot here. I recently bought a new bottle of TTO and noticed that its smell was not as strong as the old bottle I had. I was afraid it wouldn't work as well so I did some googling and read a bit about Terpinen and Cineole (not sure I spelled that right) and how the Cineole is what gives TTO that menthol-like quality but it's the Terpinen that does the work.

Anyway, like you, the Rosacea is affecting one of my eyes but I've found the TTO/carrier oil mix to be too irritating to put near my eyes. I have had very good luck though with Kiss My Face tea tree hand soap. It is ph-balanced and I haven't found it to be any more (or less) irritating than baby shampoo. My next step was to try the Cliradex wipes if the soap didn't help.

I would gladly give up the TTO in favor of the Terpinen oil if it works though.

I have it on my cheeks as well. I'm on my third week of the TTO/argan oil method and it's working pretty well. From past experience I know it takes a long time for the skin to heal, so for now it's mostly a waiting game.
    I've been using cliradex wipes on my eyes for a few weeks. I've made sure to be consistent and apply every night.

After 1 week I had a reduction in the gritty feeling like my eyelids had sand underneath them. I also had less crusty stuff build up over night. Finally, the white's of my eyes are slowly returning back to normal from being extremely bloodshot.

I had the same idea as OP and decided to start testing cliradex on a spot on my face. I'm only 3 days in, but so far no changes. To be clear, the spot I'm testing isn't normally prone to P&P's. It's a defined area of redness next to my nose that's an inch long and half an inch wide. It never responded to antifungals.

I had the same idea as OP and decided to start testing cliradex on a spot on my face. I'm only 3 days in, but so far no changes. To be clear, the spot I'm testing isn't normally prone to P&P's. It's a defined area of redness next to my nose that's an inch long and half an inch wide. It never responded to antifungals.
    Thanks Sanjuan for your post. I was hoping someone had tried this. Please update us with your progress. Many thanks

Default Waiting for a flare...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
    Hi Ellen, thanks for your reply. How's your progress with TTO going? I wish my skin could tolerate it.

I still haven't used the terpinen on my face because I'm waiting for a flare. I don't want to cause one with die-off. I will post if I do though.

I have to admit that I also have a batch of oral ivermectin that I ordered, but since this is not the RX board, I won't go into that except to say that I haven't decided which to try next time I flare.

Quote Originally Posted by kimber View Post
    Hi Ellen, thanks for your reply. How's your progress with TTO going? I wish my skin could tolerate it.

I still haven't used the terpinen on my face because I'm waiting for a flare. I don't want to cause one with die-off. I will post if I do though.

I have to admit that I also have a batch of oral ivermectin that I ordered, but since this is not the RX board, I won't go into that except to say that I haven't decided which to try next time I flare.
    Thanks for asking! I think the TTO thing is going pretty well. Progress is slow, so sometimes I'm not too sure. I'm trying to view the progress in terms of weeks rather than days. My left cheek is mostly clear, my right cheek still has quite a few red spots and redness in general, but it doesn't seem "active" (no new P&Ps). This flare has been a weird one for me to get a handle on. I've had rosacea for 4+ years, but all my past flares (except the first the one) were directly related to eating wheat. The connection was so simple and obvious, I had no clue how lucky I was in that regard. This flare started in early January and I don't know what caused it and it's the first flare I've had with eye involvement. Luckily, since I've been using the kiss my face TTO soap, my eye is much, much better. The gritty feeling is gone, although it's still a bit red and some days by evening it's irritated and tired feeling.

I've also cleaned up my diet and added some omega 3 and probiotic supplements. It's hard for me to tell if that's made any difference though. I think the TTO is the most beneficial.

Where did you get your terpinen oil? I googled, but most things that popped up were for TTO and the reference was just to the amount of terpinen in it. If I can find some I think I'd give it a go and could report back. Hopefully you won't have a flare and won't need it yourself! It's nice you've got a back up with the Ivermectin, I had never heard of it.

I've been using cliradex wipes on my eyes for a few weeks. I've made sure to be consistent and apply every night.

After 1 week I had a reduction in the gritty feeling like my eyelids had sand underneath them. I also had less crusty stuff build up over night. Finally, the white's of my eyes are slowly returning back to normal from being extremely bloodshot.
    Sanjuan - have you had flares with your eyes before? This is my first with eye involvement and am curious how long they last. If the soap I am using doesn't clear my eye completely within the next month I think I will try the Cliradex wipes. I'm not sure how much TTO is in the soap I'm using. I'm a little nervous it's just enough to knock back the mites, but not enough to fully eradicate them.