Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moisturizing Seb Derm

Default Moisturizing Seb Derm

Quick Question: Should I be moisturizing the seborrheic dermatitis on my face? Does using a moisturizer make it worse or better? Am already using antifungals on it.

All (but two) commercial lotions and creams are made with oils that have a carbon chain length longer than 10, so malassezia can metabolize all commercial lotions (except two). Of course it can metabolize body sebum too, but adding more "food grade" oil is bad idea because it allows malassezia to flourish.

The "good" oils are carbon lengths 8 and 10. It is sold at Whole Foods and Hi-Health as "MCT Oil." You can drink it and cook with it if you like, but I use it to make my own lotion.

I think that CeraVe PM lotion has only C8 and C10 oils, which are called caprylic/capric oils on the label. Check the label to be sure. All the other CeraVe products have some "food grade" oil, if I remember correctly.

Another commercial lotion made with only C8 and C10 oils is from Dermalogica, called Active Moist Lotion, and is sold at Ulta stores -- $40 for 50 ml, so it's very pricey. Ulta has samplers, and you can try it out. It's an extremely nice lotion in my opinion, but it has a lot of botanical extracts so it has a sharp smell, and may not appeal to you.

You can buy MCT oil and use it neat (100%), but that will be super oily. I make my MCT lotion with about 15% MCT oil, and that's just right in my opinion. Active Moist Lotion has about the same percentage of oil, which I think is a much higher percentage of oil than CeraVe PM. A higher percentage of oil means you don't need to use very much to have it feel "moisturizing." Still, CeraVe PM is a decent lotion and you might try that.

Quote Originally Posted by alfred2 View Post
    Quick Question: Should I be moisturizing the seborrheic dermatitis on my face? Does using a moisturizer make it worse or better? Am already using antifungals on it.
    No, I don't think there's any 'should' about moisturising your face. From my own experience moisturising always made my skin a whole lot worse. But then, I have an oily skin to start with - which naturally the Malassezia simply adored.

Thankfully there is no pesky yeast apparent at the moment, thanks to the raw honey treatment.

But if your skin feels dry then please follow Tom's advice. And DON'T use any of that dreaded coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    No, I don't think there's any 'should' about moisturising your face. From my own experience moisturising always made my skin a whole lot worse. But then, I have an oily skin to start with - which naturally the Malassezia simply adored.

Thankfully there is no pesky yeast apparent at the moment, thanks to the raw honey treatment.

But if your skin feels dry then please follow Tom's advice. And DON'T use any of that dreaded coconut oil.
    That's funny you say to avoid coconut oil... It worked for me :-O
    But people have different experiences. Raw honey, I've heard, works very well so you could use that as a topical treatment + moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmangoboy View Post
    That's funny you say to avoid coconut oil... It worked for me :-O
    Are you saying that you were diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis and coconut oil cured it? Or that you used it as a moisturiser and it didn't make things worse?

Are you saying that you were diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis and coconut oil cured it? Or that you used it as a moisturiser and it didn't make things worse?
    Diagnosed with seb dermatitis and extra virgin raw coconut oil treats it completely. It also doubles up as a moisturizer for seb. Dermatitis areas, leaving skin soft. I don't recommend putting it on the rest of your face if you're acne prone as it does have a high comedogenic rating. I'm surprised that you're surprised. It's been the most calming thing to my face, lol.

These are all treatments, not cures unfortunately. Unless the honey permanently removes seb dermatitis without the need to reapply honey.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmangoboy View Post
    I'm surprised that you're surprised.
    Did I say I was surprised? No, I just wanted to clarify what it actually does for you, especially in the light of Tom's research regarding Malassezia yeast and it's preference for certain oils of different carbon lengths etc.

I'm glad to see you have found something that provides relief.

I have sd and rosacea. I have stopped using all moisturizer, sunscreen, makeup and it appears to be looking less flared up. I just try to stay awAy from the sun and wear a hat.

Did I say I was surprised? No, I just wanted to clarify what it actually does for you, especially in the light of Tom's research regarding Malassezia yeast and it's preference for certain oils of different carbon lengths etc.

I'm glad to see you have found something that provides relief.
    My comment wasn't meant to be an attack, lol. I simply thought you were surprised based on the follow up question.

Anyway, I'm sure it's the anti-fungal properties of coconut oil. It is one of the most potent anti-fungals as many people use it to treat candida. I always consider coconut oil, sea salt, and raw honey to be the top 3 treatments for seborrhea. They all have somewhat "moisturizing" properties to them but experiences can vary. My seb. derm looks worse on day 1 of using sea salt after a flare up. Then by day 2-3 everything calms down with continued use of sea salt.

Isn't there 2 kinds of facial yeast, one that subsides with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and one that doesn't?

I'm sure I read it somewhere on here, all I know is when I did the Raw Honey / Coconut Oil "experiment" it didn't really do much, I quit the Oil pretty much straight away and continued with the raw honey. Although it felt great, it had little impact.

Can someone find the Auburn / Legendsville posts, it was up to around 30 pages last time I saw it, but there were many highs and lows of this process, some work some don't but at least it was a detailed result process.

Trial and error people