Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have Rosacea?

Default Do I have Rosacea?

Hi, Im new to the forums, and so far everyone seems very supportive.
    Iím 18, no derm problems except for angular cheilitis; no major health issues.
    About 4 and a half to 5 months ago my girlfriend noticed a strange rash on my left cheek and both jawlines, initially it was really inflamed. I had just eaten a bowl of cereal i had never tried before so i thought it could possibly be a allergic reaction so i just went to bed.
    When I woke up i had went away for the most part, but over the months it has grown more inflamed and spread. Now i have a couple dots of it on my right cheek.
    I went to the derm about 3 weeks ago & she said that it was NOT Rosacea. She diagnoses me with a fungal infection in the pours of my skin; which made sense at the time because the way it looked and is spreading kind of looks fungal. The condition she described was basically Seborrheic Dermatitis. She prescribed me 400mg oral Fluconozole (an antifungal) tablets to take them once, 1 weeks apart. She also gave me Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% face wash & lotion and Ketoconazole shampoo
    About 5 days into using the shampoo & face wash and lotion one of them seemed to be making inflammation worse & irritating my skin further; derm said to discontinue use. I took the last pill about 2 weeks ago and I had absolutely NO NOTICEABLE IMPROVEMENT. I have no other symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis except inflamation. I began asking around the internet and a practitioner suggested it could be Democodosis. I researched it, and also I had NO common symptoms except for the inflammation.
    So earlier this week I saw another derm, same company just a different branch office. She looks at it, and diagnoses me with Granlomatous Rosacea. She prescribed me low dose doxcycyclin to take for 2 months; she said I should see improvements within about a month or so, if no improvement, theyíll do a biopsy. That method seemed backwards to me. Beginning a pill schedule like that terrified me! So Iím going to fill the prescription, but hold taking them till I am more sure of my condition. I canít notice any blood vessels on the areas, and it has never burned or felt hot like Rosacea. I mentioned Democodosis to her and she didnít seem to think that was it, she said thatís usually affiliated with Rosacea. One or two of the google search images for Granlomatous Rosacea kind of resemble my condition, but it isnít at all as acne like. I have a skin biopsy scheduled for next week because im torn between different diagnosis.

These areas have NEVER felt hot, dry, itchy, flaky, oozed, the texture is slightly rough feeling, very slightly but only the areas around my sideburn. If you examine the side burn areas very closely, they look like thereís 10-15 tiny pimples in my pours. The redness isnít spread even, itís kind of blotchy and leaves uninflamed areas within some of it. I can kind of feel it on my cheek area. The areas that it effects arenít usually common with Rosacea... The ONLY relife i can get is sleep. When I wake in the nornings, the redness is down about 40% then over the course of about 30 mins, it comes back just as the day before. It dose NOT come and go, pretty consistent, slow spreading. Thatís the best I can describe it; itís quite strange.

So, does this sound like Rosacea? Will a biopsy be beneficial for diagnosis?
    Iím looking for is a more definite diagnosis before I begin treatment! ANY INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
    Thanks for reading![ATTACH=CONFIG]3050
    Attached Images
    Last edited by key69; 20th February 2015 at 12:02 AM.

P.s , i've tried hydrocortisone 1% and Benadryl a couple times throughout the time I've had it, no affect

Don't use anymore hydrocortisone and get a second opinion from another derm. Me trogel might be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by beelover1972 View Post
    Don't use anymore hydrocortisone and get a second opinion from another derm. Me trogel might be able to help you.
    Thanks, I have a appointment next week, as well as a skin scraping for a Biopsy. They said they were going to preform a "rule out"... Maybe that'll shed some light on what exactly is going on.

I wonder what they'll be ruling out exactly.. Any ideas ?

They might rule out demo dex mites or fungus, allergies, etc. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by beelover1972 View Post
    They might rule out demo dex mites or fungus, allergies, etc. Keep us posted!
    Hey Bee, I think I MAY have identified my condition... At least this one matches the symptoms. Keratosis Pilaris Rubra. Thinking back, I've never flushed easily, or much at all. I can't remember the last time my face has "flushed". I've never had any pain, burning, stinging, P&P's ( common with my previous diagnosis of Granulomatous rosacea) or peeling that are usually common with Rosacea and other conditions...
    Keratosis pilaris rubra only has an occasional itch, has small, tiny rough-feeling bumps. I've had it on my arms for years, but its cosmetically almost unnoticeable.
    maybe this could this be my problem...?

Derm appointment soon, no sure why they didn't at least mention it already.

Quote Originally Posted by key69 View Post
    Hey Bee, I think I MAY have identified my condition... At least this one matches the symptoms. Keratosis Pilaris Rubra. Thinking back, I've never flushed easily, or much at all. I can't remember the last time my face has "flushed". I've never had any pain, burning, stinging, P&P's ( common with my previous diagnosis of Granulomatous rosacea) or peeling that are usually common with Rosacea and other conditions...
    Keratosis pilaris rubra only has an occasional itch, has small, tiny rough-feeling bumps. I've had it on my arms for years, but its cosmetically almost unnoticeable.
    maybe this could this be my problem...?

Derm appointment soon, no sure why they didn't at least mention it already.
    Derms don't always know what they are looking for or what they should consider. It's very possible that's what you have. I definitely have the p&p type, but I don't flush a whole lot, fortunately. Let me know what derm says!

[QUOTE=beelover1972;306212]Derms don't always know what they are looking for or what they should consider. It's very possible that's what you have. I definitely have the p&p type, but I don't flush a whole lot, fortunately. Let me know what derm says![/QUO

Well, just got back from the derm and she said it was indeed Rosacea.
    I'm more confident about this diagnosis; the doctor and over-all service was much better then the previous derm, she did a skin scraping & ruled out fungus, scalp examination... the whole 9 yards.

Gossshh, what news ): I'm not sure why this is occurring to me at such a young age, I'm guessing stress. because I do deal with a lot of it... my diet & stomach aren't too bad.. I honestly don't know ):

Now I need to plan of action, preferably a natural way or as natural as possible. I'm uninsured & topical creams are unbelievably pricey (i'd rather stay away from them regardless).

any first step suggestions?

I know you want to stay away from topicals, but one that has really helped me and doesn't cost that much is Prosacea. A tube costs about 8 bucks at Walmart. It is homeopathic and has 1% sulfur in it. It really helps keep the p&ps away and I even use it on the occasional regular pimples I sometimes get. For cleansing I use Burt's Bees Sensitive skin cleanser and for moisturizing right now in the cold weather I use Albolene. I know it's a makeup remover mostly, but the petrolatum helps keep the moisture in my skin. And for sunscreen I use Burt's Bees Baby sunscreen stick. It's chemical free and doesn't irritate my skin or eyes. Other than that, as long as I stay away from really spicy foods, sodas and liquid dairy then I do fine. I get the usual hormonal time of the month pimple, but nothing major like when I was diagnosed in October. I can have a beer without incident and I still indulge in a little bit of sweet stuff like chocolate, but I just drink a lot more tea and water now than I used to. Let me know how it goes! Hope some of these tips help you, everyone is different and it's definitely not one size fits all with this condition.

Can't thank you enough for all the information!