Thread: Seb derm sufferers: anyone else lose ability to sweat completely from face?

Question Seb derm sufferers: anyone else lose ability to sweat completely from face?

Hello everyone,

Just registered. 33-year-old fair-skinned male. Recently diagnosed with seb derm, but have had it for just under a year. Fairly mild so far. Also a lifelong Rosacea sufferer, which I've kept mild/moderate through controlled diet and IPL treatments.

My question for you fellow seb derm sufferers is...has anyone else lost the ability to sweat from the face? Until I got seb derm, my face used to be oily and used to sweat a lot when I exercised. Now, while my face does get warm, it stays dry--with the exception of my forehead, which seems to sweat more now--but it feels like my face can't "breathe", like it has a film over it, and it's somewhat uncomfortable. The problem with not being able to sweat from my face is that now I overheat too easily, so there are certain clothes I can't wear now (long-sleeve shirts and ties for work, unless the A/C is on high). Does anyone else have that? How are you managing?

-Alex

I can't respond directly but a forum member, Judworth, has described the same symptoms. You could look at his/her posts and see if there's a clue.

I have also lost the ability to sweat within the facial and scalp region and I have read similar complaints from many members here.

For me it is the opposite for the last 8 years been suffering from focal hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and 4 years seb derm I'm 48. I was on antidepressants 8 years ago and up to 20% of users suffer excessive sweating as a side effect which I did, but when I came off them still suffer. Little exertion like vacumning for 10 minutes and my face, scalp, upper chest and arms will be streaming. Did think that the hyperhidrosis and excess sebum (had acne on face (resulting in scarring) and now have cystic acne on back (bacne)) combination brought about seb derm. Like when people get fungal infections athletes foot and jock itch in sweaty moist areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    I can't respond directly but a forum member, Judworth, has described the same symptoms. You could look at his/her posts and see if there's a clue.
    Thanks. I will browse his/her posts and comments to see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I have also lost the ability to sweat within the facial and scalp region and I have read similar complaints from many members here.
    Out of curiosity, does your face ever look extra puffy because your face wants to sweat but the seborrhea clogging the pores won't let it? This seems to be the case with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag99 View Post
    For me it is the opposite for the last 8 years been suffering from focal hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and 4 years seb derm I'm 48. I was on antidepressants 8 years ago and up to 20% of users suffer excessive sweating as a side effect which I did, but when I came off them still suffer. Little exertion like vacumning for 10 minutes and my face, scalp, upper chest and arms will be streaming. Did think that the hyperhidrosis and excess sebum (had acne on face (resulting in scarring) and now have cystic acne on back (bacne)) combination brought about seb derm. Like when people get fungal infections athletes foot and jock itch in sweaty moist areas.
    Interesting. So you actually sweat more from the areas affected with seb derm? I'm really new to this condition, but it does seem strange to me that one would sweat more from areas where the skin's pores become clogged with seborrhea. Well, in any case, that's gotta be a nuisance. How do keep yourself from sweating during times that it would be inconvenient?
    Last edited by SebderMan; 5th February 2015 at 05:03 AM.

I have suffered from hyperseborrhea for years but no more since I started taking zinc gluconate. In fact recently I had to reduce the zinc cause my face was getting too dry. But the facial anhidrosis is still there so I dont believe that seborrhea is blocking the sweat ducts. Drexel University observed Malassezia blocking the sweat ducts in Seb derm patients but have not studied this further. Maybe there is a sweat secretion problem and the Malassezia just move in to the vacant ducts. I dont know. I also suffer from the puffy face you mentioned.

Default puffy from allergy?

my journey began a little over 2 years ago when i suddenly had a few spots show up on my face. they itched and were red and they protruded a bit (puffed out) from my face, especially on my cheeks. i'm still relatively new to the board so i can't show you a pic, but i have one of what it looked like.

i went to dermatologists and tried various things to help, but it spread instead of got better, to where both my cheeks and forehead were completely involved. then it started spreading to my chin and neck.
    i itched like crazy and my skin was so raw. it oozed and flaked. it would make a thin crust that could be washed away or scratched away with my fingernails very easily.

i finally got a dermatologist that wanted me to use VaniCream after i had biopsies done with him. i voluntarily also bought the body cream by the same name and Shampoo and Conditioner (called Free and Clear, but same company). i noticed some immediate relief the first day and it only got better every day. i was allergic to an ingredient in my Dove Shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1 i'd used for years and it was also in my face wash and body lotion (Aveeno).

i mainly had issue with the itching. it was driving me to madness. but now that my face is good, i realize just how much of my face was swollen.

before i ever had issue, years ago i noticed that when i would exercise (cardio), my face would get redder and redder and hotter and hotter and it would never sweat. but the rest of my body was kind of the same way. the longer i worked out, over a few months, i noticed a change in my sweating. first, my body was actually sweating. i could feel it running down my back as i jogged and i started seeing it on my arms and hands. and then my face finally got with it. and my comfort level during exercise went way up. i no longer felt like i was running around with a fishbowl of hot water on my head. my skin was breathing and letting the toxins go. it was wonderful.

i haven't been able to exercise in recent years and have again lost the ability to sweat on my face. it was very apparent at a football game i took my boyfriend and his family to. we had bad seats on a hot day. they were all sweating like crazy. i remember looking at my bf and asking him if i was sweating like crazy like they were and he told me no, that my face was totally dry but that it looked like a beet.
    my body doesn't really sweat much anymore either. i of course do stress sweat at work, but nothing that soaks my shirt or anything.

i think i just realized i can now do pics.

this was my face before i got the help of the VaniCream products.
    pic of face at worst.jpg

beyond the crust and oozing, do you see how swollen i am?

Quote Originally Posted by SebderMan View Post
    Interesting. So you actually sweat more from the areas affected with seb derm? I'm really new to this condition, but it does seem strange to me that one would sweat more from areas where the skin's pores become clogged with seborrhea. Well, in any case, that's gotta be a nuisance. How do keep yourself from sweating during times that it would be inconvenient?
    Yes I have focal hyperhidrosis and sweat more from the areas affected with seb derm. My core seb derm is eitherside of nose, chin, forehead and scalp. But can spread to neck, upper chest above and arms. I only sweat the last 8 years from above nipple line, so face, scalp, neck, upper chest, arms and some down my back. But never sweat lower chest, groin, legs and feet at all. It's activity and a little temperature related, so if I stay sedentary I don't sweat. But if I am say using a screwdriver for 10 mins or go for a walk for that time will stream and if I eat a hot meal can stream. I just try and hide the excess sweating from people don't walk, try not eat a meal in public etc. Also hide the seb derm (will put make up on face to hide the redness) and the acne and scarring on my back would never take off top in public e.g swimming etc. Have severe embarassment out of having all my skin issues.