Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do about the itchy flare ups??

Quote Originally Posted by Amboy View Post
    I have been dealing with rosacea for almost a year. In addition, I have seb derm, flakes and dry skin.I went to 3 derms and still cannot find much relief. Any kind of anxiety, even talking on the phone gives me burning ears a few times a day. My biggest issue is the itchiness I get throughout the day. It starts off with a red patch and then an horrible itch like a mosquito bite and then I get either a papules or pusteles in the same area where the red patch was. I've tried using dandruff shampoo on my face for a few weeks but I still get these flare ups. I am doing low carb and sugar diet, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The itchiness is really bothersome, even more so because I won't scratch it. Does anyone have a similar situation?
    The first thing I think when reading this is address the issues with stress/ anxiety. The combination of diet, daily physical activity and relaxation techniques can be very effective.

IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) low carbohydrate diets are far more often badly done and poorly balanced than properly varied and nutrient dense. If you remove one or more food groups it is critical to substantially increase other foods to compensate for the lost nutrients. Unfortunately most people combine the restrictions of the diet with restrictions of personal taste and food availability or budget. They get serving sizes all wrong.

Are you eating plenty of oily fish, other seafood such as molluscs, seeds such as pumpkin and chia, walnuts, plain live yoghurt, whole eggs, low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of bright and dark colours? Also small servings of organ meats and unprocessed land animal muscle meats (size and thickness of the palm only)?

Nutrients of particular relevance in stress/ anxiety include magnesium, long chain omega-3s, various B vitamins. Pills and potions do not substitute for real food. Magnesium may be linked to rosacea via histamine intolerance.

Use cold compresses to relive any itching, obviously not icy cold if you flare from changes in temperature too.

I've been using nizoral cream once a day and today is my fourthday. my skin feels inflamed dry and a bit more rashy. is this supposed to happen? like get worse before gets better. I'm really confused and down if someone could guide me on how antifungals work and how to use them. every time i apply the cream it gets really red but doesn sting or burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    The first thing I think when reading this is address the issues with stress/ anxiety. The combination of diet, daily physical activity and relaxation techniques can be very effective.

IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) low carbohydrate diets are far more often badly done and poorly balanced than properly varied and nutrient dense. If you remove one or more food groups it is critical to substantially increase other foods to compensate for the lost nutrients. Unfortunately most people combine the restrictions of the diet with restrictions of personal taste and food availability or budget. They get serving sizes all wrong.

Are you eating plenty of oily fish, other seafood such as molluscs, seeds such as pumpkin and chia, walnuts, plain live yoghurt, whole eggs, low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of bright and dark colours? Also small servings of organ meats and unprocessed land animal muscle meats (size and thickness of the palm only)?

Nutrients of particular relevance in stress/ anxiety include magnesium, long chain omega-3s, various B vitamins. Pills and potions do not substitute for real food. Magnesium may be linked to rosacea via histamine intolerance.

Use cold compresses to relive any itching, obviously not icy cold if you flare from changes in temperature too.
    Hi,

Ever since being diagnosed with rosacea, my diet been pretty well balanced. I mainly gave up mostly all white carbs and sugar. From time to time I do eat sushi rice that comes with my tuna roll.

Breakfast-Veggie Omelette and Almond Meal bread that I make myself. Sometimes a little bit of bacon with my omelette

Lunch - I do grill or steam chicken with all types of veggies, mainly spinach and Kale, cumcumbers and red peppers.

Dinner- Sometimes steak/chicken/fish and always a veggie with it.

Snack - I eat dried seaweed, gluten free low carb soy crips chips

Fruits- blueberries/apples/Oranges (2 servings a day)

vitamins- D, Zinc.

Seeds- Pumpkin, Chia

Drinks - Water all day long/ decaf coffee in the morning.

Does this sound like well balanced?

Sorry to have posted my own whole menu online for those who didnt care to read it!

Hi,

Ever since being diagnosed with rosacea, my diet been pretty well balanced. I mainly gave up mostly all white carbs and sugar. From time to time I do eat sushi rice that comes with my tuna roll.

Breakfast-Veggie Omelette and Almond Meal bread that I make myself. Sometimes a little bit of bacon with my omelette

Lunch - I do grill or steam chicken with all types of veggies, mainly spinach and Kale, cumcumbers and red peppers.

Dinner- Sometimes steak/chicken/fish and always a veggie with it.

Snack - I eat dried seaweed, gluten free low carb soy crips chips

Fruits- blueberries/apples/Oranges (2 servings a day)

vitamins- D, Zinc.

Seeds- Pumpkin, Chia

Drinks - Water all day long/ decaf coffee in the morning.

Does this sound like well balanced?

Sorry to have posted my own whole menu online for those who didnt care to read it!
    No it doesn't sound balanced, varied or nutrient dense TBH, check out Self Nutrition Data.

Almost all your animal protein in the sample day is muscle meat and eggs: no plain dairy (cheese and live yoghurt are low carb), little fish, no other seafood, no organ meats. Chicken (breast especially) is shockingly low in nutrients it is not even a decent source of vitamin B12 unless you are eating way too large servings. Unless you are eating large servings I am struggling to see where your calories are coming from.

What weight of seeds/ how often? You need PLENTY to replace the minerals in grains and pulses and dairy, and also to offset the omega-6s in the almond meal. Add in walnuts as much for variety as specific nutrients.

How many servings of produce each day, and is that the full rainbow of colours (blue/ purple, dark green, red, yellow/ orange)? Is the variety as limited as it sounds, if so why?

Why have you chosen to supplement just vitamin D and zinc, is this on the recommendation of a medical professional who has looked at your diet? If you were eating oily fish and other seafood you would get plenty of both, as well as long chain omega-3s, B vitamins and various other minerals.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by simantha View Post
    I've been using nizoral cream once a day and today is my fourthday. my skin feels inflamed dry and a bit more rashy. is this supposed to happen? like get worse before gets better. I'm really confused and down if someone could guide me on how antifungals work and how to use them. every time i apply the cream it gets really red but doesn sting or burn.
    The best person to discuss that with would be your dermatologist, family doctor or a pharmacist - they can look at your skin and see if the reaction is normal or denotes an adverse reaction to something in the product.

Hi simantha, I find that I cannot tolerate any topical meds whatsoever so my dermatologist prescribes oral meds for me. I agree with Firefox in that you should consult with your dermatologist to see if there are other options available to you or even if your reaction to the topical is OK. Personally, anytime I introduce anything to my face that causes a reaction it is never helpful and it never gets better so I do not subscribe to the school of thought that it gets worse before it gets better. If it exacerbates whatever my current condition is it is never a good thing (for me). Of course YMMV and this is my experience only.

I have been dealing with rosacea for almost a year. In addition, I have seb derm, flakes and dry skin.I went to 3 derms and still cannot find much relief. Any kind of anxiety, even talking on the phone gives me burning ears a few times a day. My biggest issue is the itchiness I get throughout the day. It starts off with a red patch and then an horrible itch like a mosquito bite and then I get either a papules or pusteles in the same area where the red patch was. I've tried using dandruff shampoo on my face for a few weeks but I still get these flare ups. I am doing low carb and sugar diet, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The itchiness is really bothersome, even more so because I won't scratch it. Does anyone have a similar situation?
    Hi Amboy, have you tried any antihistamine to see if that relieves some of the itching? I have a similar itchy hive reaction and I find that antihistamines help somewhat. Also, I would caution you in using dandruff shampoo on your face as there may be some iffy ingredients in that such as sulfates, parabens etc. I would think it too harsh for most of us. I also find moisturizing with something that I can tolerate helps soothe the itch. Lately I have been using cold pressed unrefined hemp oil and finding some relief. Sorry you are experiencing this and hope you find relief soon.

Hi melissa, I am actually crying while typing this, today was the fifth day but i have to stop using ketoconazole. my skin rash became so hard and painful (sort of like welts) that even my mum who normally advises me to stick with something asked me to stop, it's so bad. I hope it calms a bit down in a few days

i just don't understand what to do anymore. honey, acv, creams shampoos all make me so bad. how do i even control this. maybe i should just give in to the steroids these derms prescribe

does anyone know what to do if you have horrible sensitive eczema prone skin in combination with seb derm?

Quote Originally Posted by simantha View Post
    Hi melissa, I am actually crying while typing this, today was the fifth day but i have to stop using ketoconazole. my skin rash became so hard and painful (sort of like welts) that even my mum who normally advises me to stick with something asked me to stop, it's so bad. I hope it calms a bit down in a few days

i just don't understand what to do anymore. honey, acv, creams shampoos all make me so bad. how do i even control this. maybe i should just give in to the steroids these derms prescribe

does anyone know what to do if you have horrible sensitive eczema prone skin in combination with seb derm?
    Simantha, I feel for you and know what you are going through. Listen, do not use topical steroids. I understand the temptation and it will only make the situation worse in the long run. I also have seborrheic dermatitis in conjunction with rosacea and perioral dermatitis and eczema too so perhaps I can offer some advice.

I also did not fare well with the honey masks or any of the topical meds prescribed by my dermatologist. I am learning as I go and so far this is how I am dealing with it. I am using only bottled water to wash or Avene thermal spray. I find it soothing and tap water has too many things in it that I feel can exacerbate our skin issues. Not for everyone of course as there is no one size fits all unfortunately but it couldn't hurt for you to try bottled water for a while. Also avoid any parabens, sulfates, fragrances etc. I have to find the list of ingredients to avoid. Here's one list.
    http://fiddlebumps.com/ingredients/i...ents-to-avoid/

Right now I am using hemp oil (unrefined cold pressed) to moisturize and cleanse and so far so good. I am also gently cleansing with the "magic mitt" from Jane Iredale but just started using that so don't want to recommend it till I see how it goes. Tom Busby has some excellent suggestions as well so not sure if you read everything he recommends but worth considering.

And don't use anything that irritates as I wrote before getting worse before it gets better doesn't work for me and might not work for you. I find if something irritates it always irritates and gets worse with repeated use.

I am short on time right now and have to go but please post with what you have tried and what your symptoms are as I have just returned here and not familiar with your history. Hang in there. You will find relief. It will just take time but you will be OK. (((HUG)).

Amboy, some of what you say is very familiar to me.

1. Talking on phone I've discovered landline or cell emits heat. My
    " talking ear" can get very red/ flushed. In addition, the skin
    Where the phone makes contact causes areas to redden, itch
    And a sudden red bump will appear from the heat.

Solution: Bluetooth and cool pack or ice cube or tiny dot of
    Sulphur on spot. It's gone in 10 minutes.

Consideration: demodex mites. You might want to read these threads.
    I have rosacea and SDerm too and I had to figure out
    The mite connection. There are treatments specifically
    For mites.

2. Antihistamine : Melissa mentioned this and it works GREAT for me. For
    My redness and itchiness.

3. Food Allergy/sensitivity: try deleting seaweed. Like you years ago I thought
    I was boosting my body immune system with it only to find out it made my
    Thyroid go hypo and skin rashes.

4. Read: all of Tom Busby's info on seb derm in seb derm forum.
    5. Face cleanser: tough subject but OTC shampoo is rough on
    Skin. I firmly believe the people who have success with this
    Method will end up with more problems down the road.

6. Derms: get a new one?

birdie