Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do about the itchy flare ups??

Default What to do about the itchy flare ups??

I have been dealing with rosacea for almost a year. In addition, I have seb derm, flakes and dry skin.I went to 3 derms and still cannot find much relief. Any kind of anxiety, even talking on the phone gives me burning ears a few times a day. My biggest issue is the itchiness I get throughout the day. It starts off with a red patch and then an horrible itch like a mosquito bite and then I get either a papules or pusteles in the same area where the red patch was. I've tried using dandruff shampoo on my face for a few weeks but I still get these flare ups. I am doing low carb and sugar diet, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The itchiness is really bothersome, even more so because I won't scratch it. Does anyone have a similar situation?

A couple of weeks ago I had a slightly itchy patch on my lower right jaw area where I never had a flare before. I started applying my metrogel and some Prosacea on that spot right away. Never got any p.p.s there, fortunately, but it did feel a little weird and rough for about a week. I just kept on putting my ointments on and now it feels nice and smooth again. I think the sulfur in the prosacea dries up whatever irritations pop up on my face. Good luck!

I use finacea which does get rid of the p&ps once they come out. It's just that I get flare ups everyday and a few times a day. The itchiness is so unbearable I wIsh I can figure out a way to stop it from flaring up. One of my derm says rosacea doesn't itch, well mine does....

My rosacea was itching when I was first diagnosed back in October. I wanted to scratch the right side of my face off, so that doctor is wrong. Maybe you need to get a second opinion from another doctor to see if there is some other medication you can use to combat the itching. I was lucky, as soon as I got the metrogel my gp prescribed for me and put it on it was like putting out a fire with ice water. The prosacea helped me with the bumps and pimples. Hope you find some good relief and keep us posted!

Seb derm induced by malassezia is very itchy, and feels exactly like a lot of insect bites.

You could try Lotrimin Ultra (not the AF kind) and see if have any improvement. The company's website has a $2 off coupon. Lotrimin Ultra is more effective than prescription-only 2% Nizoral cream, but you might try that too, to see how it works for you. You'll need to use either of these every day, twice a day, for two weeks, minimum, to determine if you have a condition that includes a malassezia overload. More flaking skin at first is actually a sign of healing, that the biofilms are dissolving -- it's a positive diagnosis. Then overall seb derm redness takes about 8 months to become nearly unnoticeable.

All commercial antidandruff shampoos have SLS or some similar surfactant, which is often irritating to people with pre-existing skin conditions. Still, if you want to use an antidandruff shampoo to control malassezia overloads, an antidandruff shampoo with climbazole (Hegor 150, web order only) is more effective than a shampoo with ketoconazole (Nizoral 1%, web order only in the US), which is more effective than selenium disulfide (Selsun Blue). Shampoos with zinc pyrithione are a complete waste of time for itchy seb derm conditions.

Thanks Tom. I actually have lotrimin ultra and have yet to try it. It feels thick and I was worried it may clog my pores. I think I will that a try. Can that be used long term? I did try the keto shampoo and it irritated my skin and then I broke out with a rash.

Amboy, I'm sorry I couldn't help you more, I don't know much about seb derm as I don't have the condition. I'll do more research on it. I couldn't imagine itching like that everyday.

Hi Amboy, you can test for pore clogging by using for a week whatever product you want to test, and then applying 3% hydrogen peroxide (HP) and rubbing it lightly with your fingertips. If the HP shows a white gel-like material inside/around your pores, then switch and try something else. Most commercial lotions or creams have a far too occlusive base, but they're worth trying anyway.

Thanks for all the tips. So I tried the lotrimin ultra last night and this morning. And amazingly I didnt flare up with the red spot and the itch today. However my face ihas lots of flaking. So that's the sign of healing like you said. My face felt normal today. Of course that doesn't mean anything, because having rosacea my skin can be good one day, but 10 times worst tommorrow. So we will see how this goes

Keep us posted!