Thread: Oral Ivermectin

Default Oral Ivermectin

So I was thinking about trying Ivermectin, although I'm afraid of putting anything on my skin so I thought I'd try to take it orally. I've read about people using the 1.87% equine paste and was curious if people on here would recommend doing that or if that's a terrible idea. I'm not entirely sure, so yeah. Any input on this would be welcome.

I would want to know what all the ingredients are and what they do.

Dumb question alert: why are you afraid to put anything on your skin? Are you not even able to do a discrete patch test (or a couple of patches) over a few days without widespread flushing?

Well I just bought a tube of Ivermectin equine paste from a nearby feed store but I haven't opened it yet because I'm still pretty hesitant about taking it. To answer your question firefox, there doesn't seem to be any ingredients list on the packaging or the actual syringe itself. There are an abundant amount of warnings all over the box though that say it shouldn't be ingested by humans or other animals. And to answer your other question about why I'm afraid to try it topically, every topical product I've tried on my skin seems to increase flushing and burning by a huge amount. It's just that I can see a ton of rice grain sebum plugs all on my cheeks and it seems like they might be demodex related, so yeah. I think I might try to take a dose of it at the recommended weight setting, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

So I just looked up the MSDS on the company website, and it says that the paste is composed of: Ivermectin, Corn Oil, Polysorbate 80, Apple Flavor, and Aerosil.

The only one I'm concerned about is the Aerosil, because I'm not entirely sure what that is. But besides that it seems like it would be fine to orally ingest.

Perhaps you could first apply half of it topically, which is logical because you're treating the surface of the skin. If that has no effect, then 2-3 days later you could take the remaining half systemically. Not that I know the result, but this would be a method of investigation.

Aerosil is commercial name what is known as "fumed silica" or "colloidal silica" which is a very, very light form of the material. In this product it is used to thicken and stablise the corn oil/ivermectin mixture to form the paste consistency.

Aerosil and similar materials are very widely used in many product areas for multiple functions - one example is in indigestion mixtures to help dispel gases.

Aerosil is quite harmless when ingested and when applied topically.

https://www.aerosil.com/lpa-productf...d=1856&lang=en

zmarc,

This sounds similar to what I tried for my subtype 2 rosacea. It was a syringe-like tube with apple flavored ivermectin. When I started it I also had problems putting ANYTHING on my skin without making it more irritated. Such was the case with the ivermectin. I would feel my skin instantly warm up and feel slightly irritated for a few minutes. This subsided however. And after using it for a few weeks it happened less and less.

Ultimately, I feel it did reduce my symptoms. However I don't think the form of what I took was sufficient enough to really get the full effect of ivermectin. It seemed to plateau after about 2 weeks and I moved on to another product that worked better (at least for a little while). Perhaps with more persistence it may work, but I felt like I wanted to find a more direct source of ivermectin for topical purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by flurb View Post
    zmarc,

This sounds similar to what I tried for my subtype 2 rosacea. It was a syringe-like tube with apple flavored ivermectin. When I started it I also had problems putting ANYTHING on my skin without making it more irritated. Such was the case with the ivermectin. I would feel my skin instantly warm up and feel slightly irritated for a few minutes. This subsided however. And after using it for a few weeks it happened less and less.

Ultimately, I feel it did reduce my symptoms. However I don't think the form of what I took was sufficient enough to really get the full effect of ivermectin. It seemed to plateau after about 2 weeks and I moved on to another product that worked better (at least for a little while). Perhaps with more persistence it may work, but I felt like I wanted to find a more direct source of ivermectin for topical purposes.
    I also experienced this when experimenting with the vetinary ivomec solution.

At this point, I think that anyone considering ivermectin use would be best served to wait for Galderma's official, licensed topical. It's almost here, by all accounts. Back 3-5 years ago, when the product still seemed a long way off, it was perhaps worth experimenting off-label. As at right now, I'm not sure its worth it. I think that the accepted wisdom on here is that oral administration is unlikely to be as effective as topical, when targetting demodex mites.

See other posts on (I think) 'Soolantra' for more info.