Thread: New to forum , my skin is a mess haven't been diagnosed yet . Pictures included

Default New to forum , my skin is a mess haven't been diagnosed yet . Pictures included

So some background info on me, I am age 30 and have always had some issues with some acne and cysts on my jaw . Just in the last few months all of a sudden I started to get tiny pin sized white heads not like normal white heads on my nose, cheeks and forehead . My skin then feels bumpy and gets really red and dry. It seems to be only getting worse, Last night I went and put some benzoyl peroxide 10% desperate to get it under control before the holidays and it made it way worse. Can't see a dermatologist till February and now I'm lost as what to do. Seems to be like Rosacea , but unsure and I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you
    Attached Images

Hi there and welcome to the RF. I am so sorry you are dealing with this and would suggest to do as little as possible to your face for now as perhaps the Benzoyl Peroxide irritated your face even more. I cannot say what is going on (why do you feel like it might be rosacea?) but my advice would be to treat your skin very gently and apply a minimum of products to your face and to try to move up your dermatologist appointment. Can you try calling them every day for a cancellation perhaps?

Also what have you done in the past that has helped your skin? Any prescribed medical treatments or OTC topicals that have helped you? Sometimes just giving your face a break from everything can be helpful as well.

Good luck and I hope you get relief very soon!

Thanks for the reply I got into my regular dr yesterday and she wasn't sure what was going on. She prescribed me doxycycline just to get me started on something till I can see the dermatologist . I'm not sure if I should take it or not I like avoid antibiotics as much as possible. I was thinking I'm dealing with rosacea because it's the only thing I can find that's close to my symtoms.

Quote Originally Posted by starrss444 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I got into my regular dr yesterday and she wasn't sure what was going on. She prescribed me doxycycline just to get me started on something till I can see the dermatologist . I'm not sure if I should take it or not I like avoid antibiotics as much as possible. I was thinking I'm dealing with rosacea because it's the only thing I can find that's close to my symtoms.
    Acne vulgaris on the chin and jaw can be linked to hormonal imbalances, and cystic acne responds very poorly to topical treatments. If your family doctor thinks your skin issues are too severe for topicals it is likely the dermatologist will too. There are only a limited number of options for papulopustular rosacea or regular acne vulgaris, and many of those are antibiotics. You might also end up with something to balance hormones (spironolactone or birth control) if that is found to be a contributory factor.

If you have been prescribed the low dose doxycycline licensed for rosacea it doesn't act as an antibiotic anyway, it is thought to be effective due to the 'side effect' of reducing inflammation. With rosacea research suggests early diagnosis and early treatment reduces the severity over the long term.

The benzoyl peroxide you tried is horrible for skin. It is very drying and basically bleaches your face, decimating the acid mantle and beneficial flora (bacteria and yeasts). Work on skin barrier repair, anti inflammatory and soothing/ calming ingredients.

Also spend the time reviewing your diet and lifestyle choices, ensure you consistently meet or exceed ALL your government's recommendations for healthy eating and lifestyle. Worst case scenario you get healthier on the inside, best case scenario your skin improves too.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; 27th December 2014 at 02:02 AM.

Hi,
    I would try tea tree oil before any antibiotics. Or something with sulphur.