Thread: rhinophyma diagnosis

Default rhinophyma diagnosis

Hi all, I'm 42, live in the UK and I've recently been diagnosed with moderate rhinophyma - I've had a tendency towards fat, oily nasal skin since my teens, but have experienced increased thickening in the skin recent years (bulbous nose) and the appearance of larger pores. I have never experienced other symptoms of rosacea - ie no conspicuous redness, papules, flushing, eruptions etc.

What is proving frustrating is the inability of my dermatologist to come up with a clear treatment plan. I've been prescribed oral antibiotics (Minocycline), but it's had next to no effect. I've discussed Roaccutane, but he feels it's too early to consider this treatment given its possible side effects (depression, liver complications etc.). I've asked him about laser / resurfacing treatment but he said the condition is not severe enough. This has infuriated me because the symptoms are causing me some distress and proving disruptive to life at home and work.

I've made an appointment to see another dermatologist next week, but I'd like to hear about other people's experiences in trying to find a dermatologist who can offer a sympathetic ear and a clear results-focussed treatment plan (+ advice on any good dermas in London!!)

thx

I was put on Accutane a month ago and its been almost a miracle cure so far. 20 mg a day for the last month, If it is swelling I wouldn't mess around any longer as the distortion to some degree wi become permanent but the Accutane will virtually stop it in its tracks and reverse 80 percent of the damage, at least it has so far for me.

Quote Originally Posted by g3006 View Post
    I was put on Accutane a month ago and its been almost a miracle cure so far. 20 mg a day for the last month, If it is swelling I wouldn't mess around any longer as the distortion to some degree wi become permanent but the Accutane will virtually stop it in its tracks and reverse 80 percent of the damage, at least it has so far for me.
    Hi, it would be helpful if you could answer some questions about nose swelling.

How did your Rosacea first start, was there any flushing and redness, any sensation or feeling when the swelling would start or just no redness and a swollen nose. I get a swollen nose from a flare up going to sleep every night and when waking up it is still swollen.

How many years did you have swelling before you started the Accutane, Did your nose look enlarged and skin thicker to the point you thought it was permanent?

How many days after taking Accutane did the swelling stop? I ask as I could have taken Accutane around 2 years ago but the dermatologist would only give a dose of 10mg a day for 2 months max. I was put off by the results of others who said it made the flushing part of Rosacea even worse.

I keep hearing so many different results with accutane for nose swelling, for some it seems to make the redness worse,

How many years did you have swelling before you started the Accutane.
    How many days did it take the for the Accutane to stop the swelling?

Default Swollen nose

I too would be quite interested in hearing more about your nose swelling and Accutane.

I have quite a swollen nose that goes from bad to worse depending on my what I put in my system (although I am on an allergy free diet currently).

I am not clear on whether my swelling will be permanent or not. At this point I can only accept that it will not be permanent.

When I receive IPL on my nose it seems to shrink it back down to size, however I don't believe this to be a permanent resolution.

My derm tells me she does not see a difference in my nose. A consult with a plastic surgeon tells me he sees no evidence of rhinophyma. However, the second plastic surgeon, who administer my IPL tells me that if I do not continue to treat my nose it will become worse and worse.

At this point I am not sure who to believe.

How do you differentiate rosacea nose, nose swelling and rhinophyma? I do not get p&p's on my nose. Only swelling. I am finding it quite confusing and a little concerned that perhaps I am not taking a right medication...if there is one.

Many thanks.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post

How did your Rosacea first start, was there any flushing and redness, any sensation or feeling when the swelling would start or just no redness and a swollen nose. I get a swollen nose from a flare up going to sleep every night and when waking up it is still swollen.

How many years did you have swelling before you started the Accutane, Did your nose look enlarged and skin thicker to the point you thought it was permanent?

How many days after taking Accutane did the swelling stop? I ask as I could have taken Accutane around 2 years ago but the dermatologist would only give a dose of 10mg a day for 2 months max. I was put off by the results of others who said it made the flushing part of Rosacea even worse.

I keep hearing so many different results with accutane for nose swelling, for some it seems to make the redness worse,

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post

yeah for me the benefit of Accutane was dramatic for the nose swelling and overactive pores(which compounds the condition) the problem is that Accutane can aggrevate overall rosacea symtoms (which it did for me). Everyone is different and reacts differently. No dermatologist will tell you what effect Accutane will have on your condition because its so unpredictable. For me it was within days that my nose looked almost normal for the first time in like 6 months and that was after 2 years of slow development. You can not stay on Accutane at any kind of daily dose for very long, I was on 20 mg a day for 45 days and the effect was dramatic. I an currently going back to every other day(which is standard procedure) and it seems to be holding out. The goal is to get back to 20mg twice a week(which is a safe dose for long term maintnence)

Quote Originally Posted by Bagshot View Post
    Hi all, I'm 42, live in the UK and I've recently been diagnosed with moderate rhinophyma - I've had a tendency towards fat, oily nasal skin since my teens, but have experienced increased thickening in the skin recent years (bulbous nose) and the appearance of larger pores. I have never experienced other symptoms of rosacea - ie no conspicuous redness, papules, flushing, eruptions etc.

What is proving frustrating is the inability of my dermatologist to come up with a clear treatment plan. I've been prescribed oral antibiotics (Minocycline), but it's had next to no effect. I've discussed Roaccutane, but he feels it's too early to consider this treatment given its possible side effects (depression, liver complications etc.). I've asked him about laser / resurfacing treatment but he said the condition is not severe enough. This has infuriated me because the symptoms are causing me some distress and proving disruptive to life at home and work.

I've made an appointment to see another dermatologist next week, but I'd like to hear about other people's experiences in trying to find a dermatologist who can offer a sympathetic ear and a clear results-focussed treatment plan (+ advice on any good dermas in London!!)

thx
    don't scare me dude.
    I have been having oily and slightly pink nose since 15 years old.
    Do I have a very high chance that I develop that kind of nose in my later life?

While it may appear to be a tumor since the tip of the nose seems to enlarge uncontrollably, rhinophyma is benign condition. It presents as a pink, lobulated mass over the nose with superficial vascular dilation; it mostly affects men past middle age.