Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden negative reaction to IPL

Good that you tolerating sun, moderation important as you say. I think your sebum production will improve, doesn't sound like you have serious thermal damage like me. As for exercising, I do weights, body resistance training and some swimming in early mornings during summer to avoid sun exposure for obvious reasons as well as pre cancer spots I have, never ending skin issues such a pain. I don't run long distances due to serious knee injuries from sport. I'm trying to increase my training sessions slowly but surely. Struggling with mixed oiliness and dryness this humid summer which I'm trying to deal with. When I moisturize I can only use a glycerin free lotion from galderma, everything else causes problems in damaged area. You don't seem to have any serious damage so I think you'll recover just fine if you patient, follow a good diet, drink good quality water and continue being gentle on your skin. I had a total of about 10-12 ipl treatments over a prolonged period, last one about 2 years ago. Needless to say I'll never do it again and hopefully you won't either, not soon at least. You should recover much quicker because of less damage.

[QUShaun,haunD;304563]Good that you tolerating sun, moderation important as you say. I think your sebum production will improve, doesn't sound like you have serious thermal damage like me. As for exercising, I do weights, body resistance training and some swimming in early mornings during summer to avoid sun exposure for obvious reasons as well as pre cancer spots I have, never ending skin issues such a pain. I don't run long distances due to serious knee injuries from sport. I'm trying to increase my training sessions slowly but surely. Struggling with mixed oiliness and dryness this humid summer which I'm trying to deal with. When I moisturize I can only use a glycerin free lotion from galderma, everything else causes problems in damaged area. You don't seem to have any serious damage so I think you'll recover just fine if you patient, follow a good diet, drink good quality water and continue being gentle on your skin. I had a total of about 10-12 ipl treatments over a prolonged period, last one about 2 years ago. Needless to say I'll never do it again and hopefully you won't either, not soon at least. You should recover much quicker because of less damage.[/QUOTE]

Hi shaun, I'm so sorry to hear about your skin problems, your perseverance is amazing. Tell me, after ipl, have you tried anything else for your skin? When I researched your sweating problems, ít seemed like you would have had to have been seriously burned for that to happen, is that the case? Also, do you still have oil production, just no sweat? the oil thing seemed more common, but not the sweating. Have dermattologists or any manner of doctor loooked at this? Maybe there's something to be done, just trying to help. I don't understand how some people get hurt so bad but others go on with the ipls forever. I also can't figure out if the damage is cumulative or because of one bad experience. Some people report bad experiences and have another just fine, others have one and are never the same. I wonder if there are lots of people having these long term with no problems so they never find their way on to any forum.

Appreciate your help rosacea27. I haven't tried any other procedures since ipl, I've had other things like pdt suggested to improve texture and tone but that's a scary procedure that could cause redness. Derms confuse me, a few would endorse that while another said my skin wouldn't recover from it. Another even suggested to have more ipl after pdt to take away any redness caused, I explained to him that ipl has caused problems so why would I want more, I'm trying to steer clear of their advice now. I don't have a lot of oil, it looks like it's struggling to break through and thus causing congested skin with spots and irritation. I'm too nervous to go for any kind of facial so just trying to manage along the way. I think the damage was slow and cumulative and I didn't experience a bad burning experience. Was just so desperate to sort redness at the time (it helped a bit) that I didn't take note of side effects from treatment. I should've just been patient with my skin and I might not have even needed ipl. Too late for that now but I'll keep looking at options of repairing my skin. I suggest you be patient and gentle for the time being and hopefully you'll see the desired repair.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Appreciate your help rosacea27. I haven't tried any other procedures since ipl, I've had other things like pdt suggested to improve texture and tone but that's a scary procedure that could cause redness. Derms confuse me, a few would endorse that while another said my skin wouldn't recover from it. Another even suggested to have more ipl after pdt to take away any redness caused, I explained to him that ipl has caused problems so why would I want more, I'm trying to steer clear of their advice now. I don't have a lot of oil, it looks like it's struggling to break through and thus causing congested skin with spots and irritation. I'm too nervous to go for any kind of facial so just trying to manage along the way. I think the damage was slow and cumulative and I didn't experience a bad burning experience. Was just so desperate to sort redness at the time (it helped a bit) that I didn't take note of side effects from treatment. I should've just been patient with my skin and I might not have even needed ipl. Too late for that now but I'll keep looking at options of repairing my skin. I suggest you be patient and gentle for the time being and hopefully you'll see the desired repair.
    Hi Shaun,

Doing some more digging, it seems that IowaDavid has a website actually selling RLT lights. From what I've read, it seems pretty impressive, is that something you would be willing to try? Also, when i go through iowadavid's forum posts, he seems pretty optimistic about the use of diet, rlt, and occassional ipl as needed. For me, Ive just bought the flax seed and the grape seed extract in addition to Filorga sensitive skin moisturizing cream--it really seems to calm things down. Anyway, I'm just trying to think of things we can do to take action.

Hi rosacea27, IowaDavid's device and advice is impressive, you should consider it as an option for sure. I will definitely consider purchasing one because my skin felt relatively good even after the limited use of my own small device. I haven't pursued it fully yet because I've been trying to sort out the clogged pores I'm struggling with first and I don't seem to find a suitable solution for our more sensitive skins, afraid to try any invasive facial treatments. I'm pretty sure the grape seed extract will help strengthen your skin, it helped me when my skin was extra sensitive and inflammed. Good to hear you taking positive steps in repairing your skin, it's good to combine an inside and outside approach.

Hi rosacea27, IowaDavid's device and advice is impressive, you should consider it as an option for sure. I will definitely consider purchasing one because my skin felt relatively good even after the limited use of my own small device. I haven't pursued it fully yet because I've been trying to sort out the clogged pores I'm struggling with first and I don't seem to find a suitable solution for our more sensitive skins, afraid to try any invasive facial treatments. I'm pretty sure the grape seed extract will help strengthen your skin, it helped me when my skin was extra sensitive and inflammed. Good to hear you taking positive steps in repairing your skin, it's good to combine an inside and outside approach.
    Hi Shaun,

I think that being proactive and doing as much as you can to take care of your skin is important. To be honest, I've done a lot of reading on here and it seems that having a hiccup with an IPL is not the end of the world; the key is giving your skin time to heal. Of course, the worst thing you could do after having one is to go out and have another in hopes of getting everything back at once, but I think its still a viable option for just about everyone. I think I am going to go ahead and give my skin a couple more weeks to calm down, and then try out this rlt thing. One question though, how long did it take your skin to calm down from from the ipls? Right now, I can see that mine is making improvements; its definitely less red than it was and I dont flush nearly as much. Also, when I touch it, it doesn't get red so easily as also most of the pain has gone away--I'm now at day 22. But back to my question, how long does it take for that? I dont want to put a number on it because everyone is different. Not to worry, I'm not in a rush to go out and have another IPL any time soon. I think that I will try and wait about a year to have one more and see how it goes. If we're looking for positives, I'm definitely going to try and take better care of myself. It still drives me mad though how my skin was not affected over the entire face, even I haven't read about anyone else who had a similar experience like that. In any case, if you have any other pieces of knowledge about healing and controlling rosacea, by all means, I'm listening.

Agree, good to be proactive. As I mentioned, IPL action works by causing controlled damage and forcing our systems into repair, it's not a natural process and maybe it catches up with our systems ability to repair that controlled damage, hence eventual bad reaction. Derms and other practitioners protocols don't always know how to deal with the unpredictability of our skin. That's why instead of always targeting the skin directly, we should also concentrate on the inside by creating a favourable enviroment to heal and stop overwhelming ourselves with excess treatments like ipl. The one specific session that caused the most inflammation took a few weeks to settle down to normal, well my version of normal that is. The gentle approach you taking is the correct way to go, so hard to be patient but hang in there. I'm still struggling along to treat my skin, trying to listen to my gut, literally and figuratively. I know I might need some outside intervention with my clogged pores problem but I'm approaching that cautiously. I don't think anything I do on the inside will help that unfortunately. Avoiding cold and hot hard running shower water on my skin really helped my sensitivity. I stopped drinking warm drinks to avoid flushing but eventually found that slowly introducing warm lemon water, gradually increasing the temperature helped my threshold to flushing from warm things and the drink helps cleanse the body as well. I know before that I used to be left with a flushed face, especially bright nose during a warm meal but that has really helped. The things that have helped me the most are diet, water and gentle skin care. I'm not 100% sure wether all supplements work, only the grape seed has been really effective. Hand full of blue berries has helped me with flushing now and then believe it or not, strange but it has. I do wish there was a natural supplement that could control p&p's so I could relax on diet now and then. It's a constant struggle but I guess we stronger for enduring it.

Forgot to mention, for anxious flushing, zopax helped on occasions but have tried to avoid using it. Nothing great but theanine has helped moderately as a natural approach.

Forgot to mention, for anxious flushing, zopax helped on occasions but have tried to avoid using it. Nothing great but theanine has helped moderately as a natural approach.
    Shaun,

Just thought you might want to know, I emailed IowaDavid about his product and here is what he said:

Yes, I do believe rosacea can be managed long term with use of my light device and IPL treatments. My light interrupts the chronic inflammation response that's responsible for causing flushing and helps the cells do their work better by stimulating their mitochondria to work more efficiently. It also helps build up your skin and make it stronger by stimulating collagen and elastic fiber production.

There's only one setting for use, and yes, it comes with instructions.

In terms of safety, the light produced by my device is very gentle--this is not a thermal treatment like IPL. It doesn't injure skin to make it heal faster, it stimulates the cells because the light wavelength used is photoaccepted by the cells' mitochondria and it induces healing in this way. The light panels are cool to the touch.

My light hasn't been FDA approved, mainly because it's a lengthy process to do this. However, it's quite safe and is similar to other approved light devices.

Compared to other devices, my light provides full face coverage so you don't miss spots and your treatments go faster and are actually efficacious (handheld units or smaller units you might have seen just aren't well designed or suited to effective treatments).

Some of the medspa units are larger, but some are equivalent to my light. The other issue with medspa lights is they often incorporate infrared light or other light wavelengths which aren't helpful for rosacea or might be harmful (like infrared). Of course, the main reason why you'd want to use my light rather than get medspa treatments is you pay only once and you get to use your light as often as you like, at your convenience. LED/low-level light therapy isn't really suited for in-office visits because you do need to use it everyday or several days a week, and this just isn't practical for an in-office treatment.

I'm not a doctor, but I believe that this is something worth trying. As you can see, theres nothing destructive going on, which was my biggest concern. Previously, he told me to start with like just doing it for a minute, and then slowly building up to longer and longer. Other people have compared this to as brushing your teeth; something that you do everyday as part of your normal routine.

With some patience I think you'll see good results from this. We want everything to happen quickly but I think gradual, safer repairing is a better solution in the long run.