Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden negative reaction to IPL

Quote Originally Posted by rosacea27 View Post
    Hey Shaun,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. To tell you the truth, I have some weird textural issues too, but it seems like something that will pass--some bumps and uneven skin that come up when I'm hot. At any rate, my only concern is with controlling my rosacea, appearance is very second. When you say that you can't sweat anymore, do you mean literally? For me, I have no issues with sweating, are you sure that the IPL did this to you? All the research I've read shows that to be almost impossible. I'm not questioning you, just sharing what I've read. Can I ask you how long it took your skin to settle down? My redness and irritation can only be seen in certain lights--when I initially went to a dermatologist, he had trouble even seeing it.

One big question I have is what do you think about using Finacea or Metro getl to help with the inflammation? Do you think that will help? Also, I've been presribed doycycline for the inflammation, but just for 6 weeks. You think that is ok? After that I plan to start on the Oracea.

Finally, all that I've read, there are several people who go on to do ipls again after an episode like this, what are your thoughts? Given that I have the type 1 rosacea, I need something for the flushing, so i need some kind of light treatment. I've read that Mirvaso has been helpful to some and I've considered going that route, but given that I've had such great success wtih ipls to this point, I hesistate to walk away from it.
    Not trying to scare you but I'd treat those weird textural issues very seriously if I was you, maybe look at other options that can help flushing, internally and externally. I had a healthy sweat before I started IPL, disappeared with the treatments. Was left with dry, thinned skin. I've treated it extremely gently and have seen improvements but even in our humid summer I'm still unable to sweat on my forehead, worse part is with the warmth now I have semi oily underskin patches trying to break through amongst dryness and it just can't and it's causing spots and irritation at times. Never had that before IPL. Just be very careful when considering more treatments. As for antibiotics, they work for me but only when on them and always have issues after a course of them. You lucky you don't have p&p's as well so I wouldn't even go the antibiotic route if I were you. I've never tried finacea, heard it's good for p&p's so don't think you need it. Metro gel just irritated my skin unfortunately and will never use it again. The less is more approach is the best option to take, be gentle on the inside and outside and inflammation issues should subside. Please be careful with the ipl, chat to the doctor and raise any concerns you have. Some docs and their assistants are like cowboys with those machines and unfortunately some of us suffer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Not trying to scare you but I'd treat those weird textural issues very seriously if I was you, maybe look at other options that can help flushing, internally and externally. I had a healthy sweat before I started IPL, disappeared with the treatments. Was left with dry, thinned skin. I've treated it extremely gently and have seen improvements but even in our humid summer I'm still unable to sweat on my forehead, worse part is with the warmth now I have semi oily underskin patches trying to break through amongst dryness and it just can't and it's causing spots and irritation at times. Never had that before IPL. Just be very careful when considering more treatments. As for antibiotics, they work for me but only when on them and always have issues after a course of them. You lucky you don't have p&p's as well so I wouldn't even go the antibiotic route if I were you. I've never tried finacea, heard it's good for p&p's so don't think you need it. Metro gel just irritated my skin unfortunately and will never use it again. The less is more approach is the best option to take, be gentle on the inside and outside and inflammation issues should subside. Please be careful with the ipl, chat to the doctor and raise any concerns you have. Some docs and their assistants are like cowboys with those machines and unfortunately some of us suffer as a result.
    Hi Shaun,

Yes I'm scared to death now. I did go to the page you mentioned, and it put me in to a panic. I wish someone had some kind of symptoms similar to mine, just so that I could know what I'm dealing with. My instincts tell me its an issue with the sebacous gland, but does that ever repair? Is there some way to undo this? All of my symptoms seems to revolve around heat aspects. I still sweat, even a lot, but when I get warm is when I sense the irritation.

So here I am 18 days out: wake up, face looks and feels normal. Get going to work: will feel a bit dry and tight on the face with some increased redness. Also, one thing I have noticed is this area of what seems like a sunburn across my forehead (basically the whole forehead). it's very subtle, but i can see that it's a combination of redness and darkened skin. Any clues here?

For now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with life day to day. Here's the weird thing: when i wake up my skin will look calm and normal and at night it does too, its only at home or eating hot meals or day to day that my forehead will almost feel crunchy and the skin get red just touching it . I've read from some people that IPL just made their rosacea worse, others talk about damage--in my case, im not sure what I'm dealing with. I really want to get a definitive answer from a doctor. All my friends thing I'm crazy cuz they can't see anything, BUT I CAN and do feel the discomfort.

I would literally travel to anywhere in the world to get help for this or someone who can speak intelligently on the issue. One doctor said thermal damage and give it a month, two dermatologists said it was just simply irritation and that it would pass. I'm already a wound up person anyway, so I tend to believe the worst.

You spoke of grape seed extract, that can be bought online I suppose? Also, how do I treat the textural issues? Like i said, i take very good care of my body and have been taking the lotion (which does seem to help with the calming).

And here's another problem too, my rosacea was basically cured with ipls and almost nothing worked besides that, so I feel really jammed up by this. I do get some P&Ps, but I know that finacea can handle that, but the real issue is the flushing. Working out is a part of my life, like, I can't NOT workout. I've given up everything except yoga at this point in my life, which may be a good thing anyway; however, this issue of the flushing that would last for hours after going to the gym is something I just can't handle.

I've been going to therapy and trying to focus on other things, but when you are getting feedback from your forehead, its very distracting. I can't even focus on my little 4 yr old son without wanting to run to the mirror.

I feel helpless.

Hi Shaun,

Yes I'm scared to death now. I did go to the page you mentioned, and it put me in to a panic. I wish someone had some kind of symptoms similar to mine, just so that I could know what I'm dealing with. My instincts tell me its an issue with the sebacous gland, but does that ever repair? Is there some way to undo this? All of my symptoms seems to revolve around heat aspects. I still sweat, even a lot, but when I get warm is when I sense the irritation.

So here I am 18 days out: wake up, face looks and feels normal. Get going to work: will feel a bit dry and tight on the face with some increased redness. Also, one thing I have noticed is this area of what seems like a sunburn across my forehead (basically the whole forehead). it's very subtle, but i can see that it's a combination of redness and darkened skin. Any clues here?

For now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with life day to day. Here's the weird thing: when i wake up my skin will look calm and normal and at night it does too, its only at home or eating hot meals or day to day that my forehead will almost feel crunchy and the skin get red just touching it . I've read from some people that IPL just made their rosacea worse, others talk about damage--in my case, im not sure what I'm dealing with. I really want to get a definitive answer from a doctor. All my friends thing I'm crazy cuz they can't see anything, BUT I CAN and do feel the discomfort.

I would literally travel to anywhere in the world to get help for this or someone who can speak intelligently on the issue. One doctor said thermal damage and give it a month, two dermatologists said it was just simply irritation and that it would pass. I'm already a wound up person anyway, so I tend to believe the worst.

You spoke of grape seed extract, that can be bought online I suppose? Also, how do I treat the textural issues? Like i said, i take very good care of my body and have been taking the lotion (which does seem to help with the calming).

And here's another problem too, my rosacea was basically cured with ipls and almost nothing worked besides that, so I feel really jammed up by this. I do get some P&Ps, but I know that finacea can handle that, but the real issue is the flushing. Working out is a part of my life, like, I can't NOT workout. I've given up everything except yoga at this point in my life, which may be a good thing anyway; however, this issue of the flushing that would last for hours after going to the gym is something I just can't handle.

I've been going to therapy and trying to focus on other things, but when you are getting feedback from your forehead, its very distracting. I can't even focus on my little 4 yr old son without wanting to run to the mirror.

I feel helpless.

Hi Shaun,

I feel helpless.
    rosacea27, I really understand your pain and fears, the frustration to find a solution can cause increased anxiety which can worsen the situation and although easier said than done, we have to try take a calm, non panic type approach. The problem with dermatologists is that if the problem doesn't fit in their protocol treatments and solutions, then they struggle to help with treatment and often go routes that make matters worse. Have you researched sebacous gland damage, would be a good start? Maybe an indirect approach helps, try and increase the bodies ability to heal and repair, again it's all easier said than done. There are many treatment options mentioned on this forum that have helped sufferers with flushing, internal and external options. Guess it's a trial and error process and I suppose you've tried some of them. Red light treatment has helped some members here, a lot safer than ipl, have you considered that? IowaDavid is an expert and has good advice on the matter. Says it really increases ones ability to not flush under certain circumstances and it can help for base redness as well if I'm not mistaken. You'll have to control the situations that aggravate your problem, slowly increase tolerance to certain things while your system repairs and gets stronger. I buy more grape seed extract at health stores but it can be bought online I'm sure. Really helped with skin inflammation. They say red light can help with texture problems as well, I experimented about with a small healing lamp with a red led bulb but it's not the correct setup so never done much but I would like to look more into the proper method as spoken about here. I know IPL helped before but give it a rest now. It works by doing so called controlled damage so your body can repair targeted areas, maybe your body not capable of doing that right now and is telling you to stop. I also feel helpless but try keep your chin up, we will do our best to find lasting solutions.

Hi Shaun,

You make an intelligent and logically based explanation. I was thinking that I probably did a number on my skin with the hot yoga (a no no for rosaeans) and that I have been under a ton of stress lately, so my skin must not been in the right place to receive the treatment. I will get on the Oracea and Metrogel right away. I have tolerated meds well in the past and I will get back on to it again. I have great medical coverage so tehre is no reason not to. Also, I will actively investigate red light therapy. Honestly, when you read about it, how bad could it be, particularly when you compare it against IPL.

I will step away from IPL for a bit. I've read a lot on this forum about taking a break from it helps many members. It doesn't mean that you can't go back to it, but just like anything else in life, you have to listen to your body. In any case, I've only been getting them once a year for some time now, so I believe that I've got some time to heal up.

I've read about sebacous gland damage, and this may be a possibility for me, but probably only minor at this point. This morning I didn't wash my face with a strong soap and all the crunchiness and irritation basically went away, not all but a lot. I'm left with persistent redness and irritation that is brought on my sun/heat.

One thing that is very interesting is that I easily get flushed when I look in the mirror. Somehow the anxiety of obsessing over my condition makes me focus the blood to my head, especially cuz I'm so worried about it.

Hi Shaun,

You make an intelligent and logically based explanation. I was thinking that I probably did a number on my skin with the hot yoga (a no no for rosaeans) and that I have been under a ton of stress lately, so my skin must not been in the right place to receive the treatment. I will get on the Oracea and Metrogel right away. I have tolerated meds well in the past and I will get back on to it again. I have great medical coverage so tehre is no reason not to. Also, I will actively investigate red light therapy. Honestly, when you read about it, how bad could it be, particularly when you compare it against IPL.

I will step away from IPL for a bit. I've read a lot on this forum about taking a break from it helps many members. It doesn't mean that you can't go back to it, but just like anything else in life, you have to listen to your body. In any case, I've only been getting them once a year for some time now, so I believe that I've got some time to heal up.

I've read about sebacous gland damage, and this may be a possibility for me, but probably only minor at this point. This morning I didn't wash my face with a strong soap and all the crunchiness and irritation basically went away, not all but a lot. I'm left with persistent redness and irritation that is brought on my sun/heat.

One thing that is very interesting is that I easily get flushed when I look in the mirror. Somehow the anxiety of obsessing over my condition makes me focus the blood to my head, especially cuz I'm so worried about it.

Anxiety is a big part of skin problems and can consume us if we don't take steps to fight it. I tend to over think things and I'm doing my best to avoid that with a positive approach, not an easy mindset to maintain, actually damn hard. Exercise does help anxiety but as you say, it can also be a trigger so I try make sure not to train too hard and do it in a cool comfortable enviroment. I more or less know my limits and when I flush badly or break out in heat rash I know I've pushed too hard. Would like to get to point where I can push harder but for now any kind of quality physical activity is good for our mind and bodies. Get to know your limits in the gym if another form of activity like hot yoga is too much of a trigger while still repairing skin. I've used medication on occasion for flushing caused by anxiety with good results but I try avoid it as much as possible. I use a theanine supplement now and then which gives more natural relief to anxiety. As for the sun and heat triggers, it's difficult to avoid that all the time so you will have to take any precautions you can while trying to increase your threshold to flushing from those triggers. I'm sure it will get better as your skin repairs and gets stronger, good that you taking a gentler approach. I really hope you find some welcome relief soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Anxiety is a big part of skin problems and can consume us if we don't take steps to fight it. I tend to over think things and I'm doing my best to avoid that with a positive approach, not an easy mindset to maintain, actually damn hard. Exercise does help anxiety but as you say, it can also be a trigger so I try make sure not to train too hard and do it in a cool comfortable enviroment. I more or less know my limits and when I flush badly or break out in heat rash I know I've pushed too hard. Would like to get to point where I can push harder but for now any kind of quality physical activity is good for our mind and bodies. Get to know your limits in the gym if another form of activity like hot yoga is too much of a trigger while still repairing skin. I've used medication on occasion for flushing caused by anxiety with good results but I try avoid it as much as possible. I use a theanine supplement now and then which gives more natural relief to anxiety. As for the sun and heat triggers, it's difficult to avoid that all the time so you will have to take any precautions you can while trying to increase your threshold to flushing from those triggers. I'm sure it will get better as your skin repairs and gets stronger, good that you taking a gentler approach. I really hope you find some welcome relief soon.
    Hi Shaun,

Just an update, at day 19 now, I see that I'm no longer sensitive to the sunlight. I had to drive my motorbike across the city today to get to work and had no flushing (that's about 30 mins). I'm not trying to push it, but I did want to see where things have progressed. The issue I'm dealing with now is the lack of oil in my face, does this ever come back? I still sweat when I work out and have a normal flush, but the dryness can only be fixed by putting copious amounts of moisturizer on. I did do the research on the sebum gland thing and you may have a point--actually they said that ipl specifically damaged these areas to do things like reduce acne. What kind of exercise are you doing now? Any kind of running? By the way, what else can you tell me about this lack of sebum production, its weird how it just suddenly makes everything stop in one fell swoop.

Hi Shaun,

Just an update, at day 19 now, I see that I'm no longer sensitive to the sunlight. I had to drive my motorbike across the city today to get to work and had no flushing (that's about 30 mins). I'm not trying to push it, but I did want to see where things have progressed. The issue I'm dealing with now is the lack of oil in my face, does this ever come back? I still sweat when I work out and have a normal flush, but the dryness can only be fixed by putting copious amounts of moisturizer on. I did do the research on the sebum gland thing and you may have a point--actually they said that ipl specifically damaged these areas to do things like reduce acne. What kind of exercise are you doing now? Any kind of running? By the way, what else can you tell me about this lack of sebum production, its weird how it just suddenly makes everything stop in one fell swoop.
    Oh, and Shaun, would you mind telling me a little about your dry skin. What do you do to take care of it? Mine is crazy now and I'm wondering how the hell this happened in one place I was ipled and not the others. the randomness does my head in. Also, do the seb. glands eventually repair? from what i've read, this is not a permanent situation in most cases. It's true that acne patients get them to reduce seb. gland activity, but its only temporary. How long have you had your problems by the way? How long were you receiving treatments before you had this issue? what were the results like before this? what does your skin look like now? when was your last ipl?

Oh, and Shaun, would you mind telling me a little about your dry skin. What do you do to take care of it? Mine is crazy now and I'm wondering how the hell this happened in one place I was ipled and not the others. the randomness does my head in. Also, do the seb. glands eventually repair? from what i've read, this is not a permanent situation in most cases. It's true that acne patients get them to reduce seb. gland activity, but its only temporary. How long have you had your problems by the way? How long were you receiving treatments before you had this issue? what were the results like before this? what does your skin look like now? when was your last ipl?