Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden negative reaction to IPL

Default Sudden negative reaction to IPL

Hey there,

I've been getting IPL treatments for years. I originally got about 9 or 10 to get control of my rosacea (seems to be subtype 1) and have since gotten maintenance treatments 1-2/year for several years. However, this time, things were different: I went in for my treatment as usual--even the level was lower than other times--and I've since experienced painful flushing and burning and redness on my forehead that I did not have before. To this point, this was the only treatment I was using because IPLs were so successful for me. Anyway, I'm 9 days post treatment and the burning in my face has started to calm down (I think, could just be getting used to it).

Anyway, I'm really really upset--crashing in to a deep depression would be a better way to put it. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or outlook on this situation for me? Does this just sometimes happen and then it works its self or did I permanently damage my skin. I'm scared sh*tless.

By the way, I went back to the dermatologist who performed the procedure and he seemed to think it looked fine, I disagreed, that's all he had to say. As it is now, my flushing blows up on my forehead almost instantaneously whereas before it did not. When I look in the mirror, I see that there is some irritation/redness that covers generally the entire area I received the treatment.

This morning I went to a dermatologist that has expertise in both the medicinal as well as the cosmetic side of rosacea and he said that it didn't look that bad, but that there's evidence of some kind of "thermal damage". He said to give it a month and then see how it goes.

Does anyone have a similar experience like this? This was in no way my first treatment, so it really threw me for a loop to react like this. I used the same machine with the same doctor.

The only thing that I can figure is that the day before this, I went to a hot yoga class and had a terrible flareup of rosacea like i hadn't had since i was first diagnosed and this may have screwed up my skin/increased its sensitivity temporarily.

Hi rosacea 26,

I am sorry to hear your having problems with your treatment, did you have any indicators of rosacea spreading to your forehead before the treatment? This condition is so unpredictable that maybe it did take an adverse reaction to the treatment or may just be healing slowly. Laser treatments can take a long time to heal and it maybe a month before you see results, I hate the excuse just wait because when your having bad flair ups a month feels like a year. Did the Derm give you anything to ease the symptoms you described? Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by rosacea26 View Post
    Hey there,

I've been getting IPL treatments for years. I originally got about 9 or 10 to get control of my rosacea (seems to be subtype 1) and have since gotten maintenance treatments 1-2/year for several years. However, this time, things were different: I went in for my treatment as usual--even the level was lower than other times--and I've since experienced painful flushing and burning and redness on my forehead that I did not have before. To this point, this was the only treatment I was using because IPLs were so successful for me. Anyway, I'm 9 days post treatment and the burning in my face has started to calm down (I think, could just be getting used to it).

Anyway, I'm really really upset--crashing in to a deep depression would be a better way to put it. I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or outlook on this situation for me? Does this just sometimes happen and then it works its self or did I permanently damage my skin. I'm scared sh*tless.

By the way, I went back to the dermatologist who performed the procedure and he seemed to think it looked fine, I disagreed, that's all he had to say. As it is now, my flushing blows up on my forehead almost instantaneously whereas before it did not. When I look in the mirror, I see that there is some irritation/redness that covers generally the entire area I received the treatment.

This morning I went to a dermatologist that has expertise in both the medicinal as well as the cosmetic side of rosacea and he said that it didn't look that bad, but that there's evidence of some kind of "thermal damage". He said to give it a month and then see how it goes.

Does anyone have a similar experience like this? This was in no way my first treatment, so it really threw me for a loop to react like this. I used the same machine with the same doctor.

The only thing that I can figure is that the day before this, I went to a hot yoga class and had a terrible flareup of rosacea like i hadn't had since i was first diagnosed and this may have screwed up my skin/increased its sensitivity temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan81 View Post
    Hi rosacea 26,

I am sorry to hear your having problems with your treatment, did you have any indicators of rosacea spreading to your forehead before the treatment? This condition is so unpredictable that maybe it did take an adverse reaction to the treatment or may just be healing slowly. Laser treatments can take a long time to heal and it maybe a month before you see results, I hate the excuse just wait because when your having bad flair ups a month feels like a year. Did the Derm give you anything to ease the symptoms you described? Keep us updated.
    Hey sportsfan 81,

I've always had rosacea on my forehead and it's never been an issue. In fact, that was the area that was most responsive to ipl in treatments passed. It's been 16 days since now and I can see that it has settled down a bit, but not entirely. It's still very tender feeling and easily sensitive to touch--it's making me insane with worry.

A lot of people have posted that ipls have made their rosacea worse, but in this case, I don't think it applies: I've gotten probably more than 15 treatments will no ill effects and in its current state, this doesn't really seem like the kind of irritation you would have from rosacea--the area that is in question is the exact same area of treatment, not just the areas that were affected by rosacea. Also, the other areas of my face were also done and they had no problems at all. So what gives?

In terms of your question, my dermotologist that did the procedure gave me a highend moisturizer with a special ingredient (hydro acid something) that is meant to calm down the skin--he says it's sensitive to the treatment this time and has some irritation (this was after my second visit wtih him) and that I shouldn't worry.

My other dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline for inflammation (because that is what it seems like, even I can agree to that).

So I'm left wondering, is this a complication from the procedure? Logically and based on inspection from the doctor, the answer is unequivocally NO. So then, is this an issue with rosacea? If that was true, I would have other symptoms and it wouldn't be showing signs of improvement. So I'm left waiting.

After thinking though, I do think that maybe the hot yoga really aggravated my skin. I've gone so long without experiencing a trigger, so I believe that this one was bigger than most and it might have disrupted the blood vessels and did some things in there.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by rosacea27 View Post
    Hey sportsfan 81,

I've always had rosacea on my forehead and it's never been an issue. In fact, that was the area that was most responsive to ipl in treatments passed. It's been 16 days since now and I can see that it has settled down a bit, but not entirely. It's still very tender feeling and easily sensitive to touch--it's making me insane with worry.

A lot of people have posted that ipls have made their rosacea worse, but in this case, I don't think it applies: I've gotten probably more than 15 treatments will no ill effects and in its current state, this doesn't really seem like the kind of irritation you would have from rosacea--the area that is in question is the exact same area of treatment, not just the areas that were affected by rosacea. Also, the other areas of my face were also done and they had no problems at all. So what gives?

In terms of your question, my dermotologist that did the procedure gave me a highend moisturizer with a special ingredient (hydro acid something) that is meant to calm down the skin--he says it's sensitive to the treatment this time and has some irritation (this was after my second visit wtih him) and that I shouldn't worry.

My other dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline for inflammation (because that is what it seems like, even I can agree to that).

So I'm left wondering, is this a complication from the procedure? Logically and based on inspection from the doctor, the answer is unequivocally NO. So then, is this an issue with rosacea? If that was true, I would have other symptoms and it wouldn't be showing signs of improvement. So I'm left waiting.

After thinking though, I do think that maybe the hot yoga really aggravated my skin. I've gone so long without experiencing a trigger, so I believe that this one was bigger than most and it might have disrupted the blood vessels and did some things in there.

Any thoughts?
    Maybe it is a case of no pain no gain. I certainly hope so. Frankly IPL scares the days out of me. I think you very brave to try for resolution. I would do cold green tea compresses and take anti inflammatory meds for a while if it were me. Try not to get depressed. It is a sad fact that the more we worry the more we aggravate our condition. This is generally a rough time of year for rosaceans anyway.
    I will send good vibes for your healing for a few weeks I will pray on it.
    Please do give us all an update.

Quote Originally Posted by rosacea26 View Post
    Hey there,

Hi rosacea26, sorry to read about your problem. I've had inflamed skin from ipl and a grape seed extract supplement helped to reduce (not take away completely) redness and inflammation. You could try pycnogenol as well, read it might be even better. Both strengthens veins and capillaries as an added bonus. Pity it doesn't do much for my texture damage from ipl but it's still a good supplement. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Hi rosacea26, sorry to read about your problem. I've had inflamed skin from ipl and a grape seed extract supplement helped to reduce (not take away completely) redness and inflammation. You could try pycnogenol as well, read it might be even better. Both strengthens veins and capillaries as an added bonus. Pity it doesn't do much for my texture damage from ipl but it's still a good supplement. Take care
    Hey there (I'm both rosacea 26 and rosacea 27),

So that is what this is? Inflamed skin? Is that something that eventually goes away. What is weird is that it only affected my forehead, but not anywhere else on my face--this leads me to believe that the skin was just sensitive to it at the time. My dermatologist offerred me filorga skin cream for sensitive skin to try and calm down the reaction and another one has given me doxycycline for the inflammation. After 16 days now, what I'm seeing is that when the weather is cool and not hot, my skin looks almost normal; some slightly elevated pigmentation on the forehead (like a suntan) and that's it. However, when it's hot outside or I feel stressed, the skin is easily irritated by moving my face or by simply touching it. Also, there are areas of redness that just randomly appear when hot.

Further adding to this weirdness is that my flushing otherwise is basically normal. Sunlight will give it some reaction and exercise will make it red, but once I get out of the shower it's totally normal.

I'm currently living in Vietnam so a lot of products aren't really available to me either because they are unavailable or they won't be allowed due to customs restrictions.

Should I add in a supplement for collagen to help with things? I'm just flailing at this point to try and do anything to help. I've read that some people have had success with using some hydrocortizone short-term, how does that sound? Otherwise, my diet has been perfect (greens greens greens) and no alcohol and definitely no sunshine.

But seriously, is this something permanent? You mentioned that you had texture issues, what do you mean by that? To this point I haven't identified any scarring, indentations, fat loss, or any other issues like that. I get these things like 1/year, so I can't imagine that I've done so much damage here. I'm trying to look for practical reasons for this and for others to share with me about their similar experiences.

Hey there (I'm both rosacea 26 and rosacea 27),

So that is what this is? Inflamed skin? Is that something that eventually goes away. What is weird is that it only affected my forehead, but not anywhere else on my face--this leads me to believe that the skin was just sensitive to it at the time. My dermatologist offerred me filorga skin cream for sensitive skin to try and calm down the reaction and another one has given me doxycycline for the inflammation. After 16 days now, what I'm seeing is that when the weather is cool and not hot, my skin looks almost normal; some slightly elevated pigmentation on the forehead (like a suntan) and that's it. However, when it's hot outside or I feel stressed, the skin is easily irritated by moving my face or by simply touching it. Also, there are areas of redness that just randomly appear when hot.

Further adding to this weirdness is that my flushing otherwise is basically normal. Sunlight will give it some reaction and exercise will make it red, but once I get out of the shower it's totally normal.

I'm currently living in Vietnam so a lot of products aren't really available to me either because they are unavailable or they won't be allowed due to customs restrictions.

Should I add in a supplement for collagen to help with things? I'm just flailing at this point to try and do anything to help. I've read that some people have had success with using some hydrocortizone short-term, how does that sound? Otherwise, my diet has been perfect (greens greens greens) and no alcohol and definitely no sunshine.

But seriously, is this something permanent? You mentioned that you had texture issues, what do you mean by that? To this point I haven't identified any scarring, indentations, fat loss, or any other issues like that. I get these things like 1/year, so I can't imagine that I've done so much damage here. I'm trying to look for practical reasons for this and for others to share with me about their similar experiences.
    I'm sure inflammation will settle if you treat your skin gently and avoid sun as you doing. Don't hydrocortizone, just thins the skin and was part of what caused my problem in the beginning. Skin cream is not a bad idea provided it doesn't cause any irritation. I've struggled with moisturizers as most seem to clog my pores since ipl caused thermal damage to my sweat glands on my forehead. My texture damage is bumpy skin, looks worse in certain light. Have bumps that surface as spots, others that don't surface at all. Inflammation is generally gone provided I'm gentle on skin and avoid heat. It's a problem since I can't sweat anymore and have had heat rash issues in hot weather and sometimes after training. You might have had similar damage to sweat glands under skin, not sure but that could explain the worsening of symptoms when it's hot. I tried a collagen supplement but unfortunately it didn't agree with me, pity because I was hoping it would help. You could try it, maybe it helps you. Even though showers help, go easy there as well. No hard direct water and luke warm temperature works best for me. Cold water is counter productive to what I thought it would be. The grape seed supplement has been good for me, not fantastic but better than other things. I really messed my system up with continued antibiotics and ultimately it always made my skin worse. Would have considered trying oracea which they say is more gut friendly but unfortunately we don't get it here. The derms I've seen (many) have just suggested more invasive procedures so I'm done with them. Diet and drinking good quality water definitely helps the skin. I'm constantly trying to find new treatment options and will keep all updated. I certainly hope you find relief.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    I'm sure inflammation will settle if you treat your skin gently and avoid sun as you doing. Don't hydrocortizone, just thins the skin and was part of what caused my problem in the beginning. Skin cream is not a bad idea provided it doesn't cause any irritation. I've struggled with moisturizers as most seem to clog my pores since ipl caused thermal damage to my sweat glands on my forehead. My texture damage is bumpy skin, looks worse in certain light. Have bumps that surface as spots, others that don't surface at all. Inflammation is generally gone provided I'm gentle on skin and avoid heat. It's a problem since I can't sweat anymore and have had heat rash issues in hot weather and sometimes after training. You might have had similar damage to sweat glands under skin, not sure but that could explain the worsening of symptoms when it's hot. I tried a collagen supplement but unfortunately it didn't agree with me, pity because I was hoping it would help. You could try it, maybe it helps you. Even though showers help, go easy there as well. No hard direct water and luke warm temperature works best for me. Cold water is counter productive to what I thought it would be. The grape seed supplement has been good for me, not fantastic but better than other things. I really messed my system up with continued antibiotics and ultimately it always made my skin worse. Would have considered trying oracea which they say is more gut friendly but unfortunately we don't get it here. The derms I've seen (many) have just suggested more invasive procedures so I'm done with them. Diet and drinking good quality water definitely helps the skin. I'm constantly trying to find new treatment options and will keep all updated. I certainly hope you find relief.
    Hey Shaun,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. To tell you the truth, I have some weird textural issues too, but it seems like something that will pass--some bumps and uneven skin that come up when I'm hot. At any rate, my only concern is with controlling my rosacea, appearance is very second. When you say that you can't sweat anymore, do you mean literally? For me, I have no issues with sweating, are you sure that the IPL did this to you? All the research I've read shows that to be almost impossible. I'm not questioning you, just sharing what I've read. Can I ask you how long it took your skin to settle down? My redness and irritation can only be seen in certain lights--when I initially went to a dermatologist, he had trouble even seeing it.

One big question I have is what do you think about using Finacea or Metro getl to help with the inflammation? Do you think that will help? Also, I've been presribed doycycline for the inflammation, but just for 6 weeks. You think that is ok? After that I plan to start on the Oracea.

Finally, all that I've read, there are several people who go on to do ipls again after an episode like this, what are your thoughts? Given that I have the type 1 rosacea, I need something for the flushing, so i need some kind of light treatment. I've read that Mirvaso has been helpful to some and I've considered going that route, but given that I've had such great success wtih ipls to this point, I hesistate to walk away from it.

Hey Shaun,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. To tell you the truth, I have some weird textural issues too, but it seems like something that will pass--some bumps and uneven skin that come up when I'm hot. At any rate, my only concern is with controlling my rosacea, appearance is very second. When you say that you can't sweat anymore, do you mean literally? For me, I have no issues with sweating, are you sure that the IPL did this to you? All the research I've read shows that to be almost impossible. I'm not questioning you, just sharing what I've read. Can I ask you how long it took your skin to settle down? My redness and irritation can only be seen in certain lights--when I initially went to a dermatologist, he had trouble even seeing it.

One big question I have is what do you think about using Finacea or Metro getl to help with the inflammation? Do you think that will help? Also, I've been presribed doycycline for the inflammation, but just for 6 weeks. You think that is ok? After that I plan to start on the Oracea.

Finally, all that I've read, there are several people who go on to do ipls again after an episode like this, what are your thoughts? Given that I have the type 1 rosacea, I need something for the flushing, so i need some kind of light treatment. I've read that Mirvaso has been helpful to some and I've considered going that route, but given that I've had such great success wtih ipls to this point, I hesistate to walk away from it.

Hi. The reality is IPL can damage skin permanently after one session or ten. The more you
    Research, it's a very risky procedure that derms do not inform the patient very well or at all.
    There is an IPL and laser damage forum. I suggest you get on and read there before you
    Proceed. In my own case, the damage occurred after 10 or 12 sessions. Time does and can heal.
    Unlike others here, I'm not a big fan of sunscreen only big hats. Aquaphor in tiny bits patted
    On skin will protect and sooth. Good luck.

Hey Shaun,