Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help desperately with Seborrheic Dermatitis hairloss, body, scalp, eyebrows, ect

Eunmi:Normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day. Depends on the person. More than 100 might indicate a problem. I think you are OK at 15-20.

Samar: Interesting you ask the question about Seb Derm and hair loss and Seb Derm without. For ages I have been going to GP and derms who say oh you must have seb derm, wash with these shampoos. Yet I keep saying my hair is falling out and they say seb derm doesn't cause hair loss! I have also read in reputable sites like the American Hair Loss society website, which describes seb derm as causing hair loss. So yeah....frustrating! I have mild scaling but always white and never thick yellow plaques like the seb derm I have seen in photos.

Also, I quit the head and shoulders and Nizoral because I thought they made it worse after a time. New shampoos on rotation are Revita, Alterna Caviar, and Aveda Scalp Benefits.

S

Yeah, I really don't get why derms always say that SD doesn't cause hair loss. There's plenty of information online that does show a link between the two.
    This is why I'm afraid of even bothering to seek a dermatologist to begin with.
    I've stopped using the nizoral.I think i might try and find some more natural shampoos to alternate between using the Aveeno/H&S shampoo.
    I've considered trying Giovanni's triple threat tea tree shampoo, but I've seen mixed reviews online. But at this rate I'm willing to try anything to help it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eunmi View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get why derms always say that SD doesn't cause hair loss. There's plenty of information online that does show a link between the two.
    This is why I'm afraid of even bothering to seek a dermatologist to begin with.
    I've stopped using the nizoral.I think i might try and find some more natural shampoos to alternate between using the Aveeno/H&S shampoo.
    I've considered trying Giovanni's triple threat tea tree shampoo, but I've seen mixed reviews online. But at this rate I'm willing to try anything to help it lol
    I'm staying away from shampoos containing sodium sulfate, which I've been using for a while. Sometimes shampoos claim to be sulfate free, but 90 % of shampoos contain sulfate. They can cause hairloss.
    http://bestsaloninfredericksburgva.c...-your-shampoo/

I've found it's expensive and complicated to make a shampoo/shower gel that is completely sulfate-free. I believe it's impossible to find a commercial shampoo/shower gel without some form of sulfates. Manufacturers are working hard to hide their use sulfates, because no one wants to buy a product with SLS or SLES anymore.

Manufacturers use sulfates because they thicken easily and cheaply with the use of a-chloride compound, like sodium chloride or magnesium chloride. If you see a -chloride ingredient in the list, one or more of the surfactants is always a sulfate-. Just because it isn't SLES or SLS, doesn't mean the product has the kind of mildness that is helpful for treating seb derm or rosacea.

Does anyone know of a commercial shampoo/shower gel that has zero sulfates-? When I googled this I found only pretenders. I looked for one of these to try to imitate the ingredient list, and when I couldn't, I had to figure it out for myself, which was not easy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    I've found it's expensive and complicated to make a shampoo/shower gel that is completely sulfate-free. I believe it's impossible to find a commercial shampoo/shower gel without some form of sulfates. Manufacturers are working hard to hide their use sulfates, because no one wants to buy a product with SLS or SLES anymore.

Manufacturers use sulfates because they thicken easily and cheaply with the use of a-chloride compound, like sodium chloride or magnesium chloride. If you see a -chloride ingredient in the list, one or more of the surfactants is always a sulfate-. Just because it isn't SLES or SLS, doesn't mean the product has the kind of mildness that is helpful for treating seb derm or rosacea.

Does anyone know of a commercial shampoo/shower gel that has zero sulfates-? When I googled this I found only pretenders. I looked for one of these to try to imitate the ingredient list, and when I couldn't, I had to figure it out for myself, which was not easy at all.
    You're right, I tried to look for some sulfate free shampoos, and although they claimed to be sulfate free after looking at the ingredients they're not. Even my eyelid babyshampoo cleanser contains sulfate, lol.

Forum member birdsing cured Herself from the plugs and her eyebrows grew back. I have tried contacting her but she hasn't responded. If anyone figures out something,or Finds a cure, please contact me from Either here or from My email: edward_k@hotmail.se I am from Sweden so we have .se instead of .com .

Here’s recent research article that includes a discussion about increased hair shedding and malassezia: http://www.icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2014/march/0313.pdf I think if you googled for “increased hair shedding” instead of hair loss you might find some useful medical research.

Here’s a brief article that provides a list of the usual suspects: http://www.americanhairloss.org/type...ous_agents.asp
    It states: “Thus seborrheic dermatitis may non-specifically cause diffuse hair loss. This hair loss should be reversible with reduction of the inflammation intensity.”

Sulfate-surfactants used in commercial anti-fungal shampoos cause irritation and undo the benefits of active anti-fungals. One step forward and two steps backward.

Has anyone tried piroctone olamine as a treatment for the hair loss described in this thread? It's not approved in the US but it's been approved by the EU for about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Here’s recent research article that includes a discussion about increased hair shedding and malassezia: http://www.icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2014/march/0313.pdf I think if you googled for “increased hair shedding” instead of hair loss you might find some useful medical research.

Here’s a brief article that provides a list of the usual suspects: http://www.americanhairloss.org/type...ous_agents.asp
    It states: “Thus seborrheic dermatitis may non-specifically cause diffuse hair loss. This hair loss should be reversible with reduction of the inflammation intensity.”

Sulfate-surfactants used in commercial anti-fungal shampoos cause irritation and undo the benefits of active anti-fungals. One step forward and two steps backward.

Has anyone tried piroctone olamine as a treatment for the hair loss described in this thread? It's not approved in the US but it's been approved by the EU for about 15 years.
    Thank you, that explains our mystery. And then you have derms that claim that it has nothing to do with SD.

I've used T gel before, which contains piroctone olamine. I remember it got rid of the dandruff really well. I'm not sure why I quit using it, I think it was because of the smell. Right know I don't mind if shampoo smells like cowpoop, as long as it works , it will go on my head! Are you sure they don't sell it in the states anymore, why not?
    Ps. I've a question, maybe a dumb one (sorry if so ) why is it that all those anti-dandruff shampoos are also highly effective in the hairloss world, and I mean the irreversible hairloss kind, AGA? What's the connection?

Appreciate your input Tom, as always.

I used ciclopirox olamine as Stieprox shampoo. Is this the same? I used in my brows for weeks and no results. Never properly tried it on the scalp.

I think Dr. Bronner's magic soap is sulphate free and -chloride free. It is just saponified oils. Doesn't leave the hair feeling amazing but certainly has minimal irritants. Rated pretty safe on the Skin Deep site:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/...oap_Baby_Mild/

S

Ah, I've come across that AHL website plenty of times while researching. Same with the increased hair shedding and malassezia scenario.
    I'm about 80% positive that my problem is a fungal infection. I have a naturally oily scalp, and going a certain amount of days a week caused dandruff, then eventually started the inflammation. I first played it off as if it were nothing, at least until I noticed that it drastically slowed down my hair growth, or stopped it completely. I haven't noticed any irritation from the sulphates in my current shampoos, it was just the nizoral that irritated my scalp after using it.
    I have PCOS, but I don't think my scalp has been affected by DHT. I'm not too sure yet until I get in to see my new pcp on the 25th, and have blood work done again (completely dreading a derm visit if she finds it necessary). I'm just bouncing back and forth trying to make sense of this situation. Maybe I should trying getting ahold of some tea tree oil and acv. Since it's basically the last 2 things on my list of experimenting with treatments.