Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help desperately with Seborrheic Dermatitis hairloss, body, scalp, eyebrows, ect

I have had this same problem for over a year now and have been scouring this forum and the web for a year as well. I have tried nearly everything and have found no solution. I have been to two derms and my GP has run all sorts of bloodwork. Apart from a slightly low ferritin and vitamin d, my hormones and other vitamins are fine.

Mine started with eyebrow hair loss, then over time (a year), I gradually noticed overall scalp hair loss, diffuse.

Because the scalp hair loss is diffuse it took some time before I really convinced myself it was happening (read: denial), but now it is so noticeable by the size of my pony tail and just the general thinness of the hair along the sides and widow's peak of my scalp, where the loss is a bit worse.

My observations in both the eyebrows and scalp conditions are that they are THE SAME. So whatever afflicts the brows is also the same cause as the scalp as the symptoms are identical.

I have been obsessed with the noticeable increase in sebum production on my face, scalp, and chest/back. This is not normal for me and evolved over the past year. My history is of dry, eczemateous, irritated skin. It remains irritated, but now is often an oil slick on my forehead. The hairs of the eyebrows and scalp produce either white or yellowish sebum plugs at the root and when they come out or are removed, the hair comes out with it. The root-end of the hair tends to be without pigment, with the root on the end and often the root surrounded by a ball of sebum. Sometimes I can find sebum balls in the brows that are just on their own in the pore without a hair growing in them. There is also scale around the hairs that I remove with tweezers. So much oil!

On my scalp it often feels sandy or grainy and turns out this stuff is also sebum balls/grains. There is some white flaking but not a lot, and it's not thick yellow seb derm flakes.

I have experimented with many treatments, none stand out as particularly useful. For now I wash twice a day with cerave wash and once a day add a Ducray topical that has glycolic acid in it to help the scales come off a bit easier. However, it is by no means a solution. I have switched to Aveda's Scalp Benefits shampoo, which keeps the scalp clean and not irritated. The head and shoulders started to irritate after many months of use.

I have been on oral antifungals--itraconazole--twice, the most recent has me on a four week maintenance dose and I have about one more to go. Not noticing much of anything. Also tried all the topicals--ketoconazole, climbazole, steroids, tea tree, jojoba, etc. No luck.

My last unexplored area is diet. While I do eat a healthy diet, I have thought about trying to lower the fat in my diet and increase protein to see if this reduces skin oil production. I realize others are trying paleo, GF and DF, but I have tried a lot of these things and in a year no major changes have occurred.

There are so many people with this exact condition and yet I have not come across anyone on here who really found a workable solution. We need to keep this thread going and get to the bottom of this! And soon please, before I lose all my hair...

Thanks all,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    I have had this same problem for over a year now and have been scouring this forum and the web for a year as well. I have tried nearly everything and have found no solution. I have been to two derms and my GP has run all sorts of bloodwork. Apart from a slightly low ferritin and vitamin d, my hormones and other vitamins are fine.

Mine started with eyebrow hair loss, then over time (a year), I gradually noticed overall scalp hair loss, diffuse.

Because the scalp hair loss is diffuse it took some time before I really convinced myself it was happening (read: denial), but now it is so noticeable by the size of my pony tail and just the general thinness of the hair along the sides and widow's peak of my scalp, where the loss is a bit worse.

My observations in both the eyebrows and scalp conditions are that they are THE SAME. So whatever afflicts the brows is also the same cause as the scalp as the symptoms are identical.

I have been obsessed with the noticeable increase in sebum production on my face, scalp, and chest/back. This is not normal for me and evolved over the past year. My history is of dry, eczemateous, irritated skin. It remains irritated, but now is often an oil slick on my forehead. The hairs of the eyebrows and scalp produce either white or yellowish sebum plugs at the root and when they come out or are removed, the hair comes out with it. The root-end of the hair tends to be without pigment, with the root on the end and often the root surrounded by a ball of sebum. Sometimes I can find sebum balls in the brows that are just on their own in the pore without a hair growing in them. There is also scale around the hairs that I remove with tweezers. So much oil!

On my scalp it often feels sandy or grainy and turns out this stuff is also sebum balls/grains. There is some white flaking but not a lot, and it's not thick yellow seb derm flakes.

I have experimented with many treatments, none stand out as particularly useful. For now I wash twice a day with cerave wash and once a day add a Ducray topical that has glycolic acid in it to help the scales come off a bit easier. However, it is by no means a solution. I have switched to Aveda's Scalp Benefits shampoo, which keeps the scalp clean and not irritated. The head and shoulders started to irritate after many months of use.

I have been on oral antifungals--itraconazole--twice, the most recent has me on a four week maintenance dose and I have about one more to go. Not noticing much of anything. Also tried all the topicals--ketoconazole, climbazole, steroids, tea tree, jojoba, etc. No luck.

My last unexplored area is diet. While I do eat a healthy diet, I have thought about trying to lower the fat in my diet and increase protein to see if this reduces skin oil production. I realize others are trying paleo, GF and DF, but I have tried a lot of these things and in a year no major changes have occurred.

There are so many people with this exact condition and yet I have not come across anyone on here who really found a workable solution. We need to keep this thread going and get to the bottom of this! And soon please, before I lose all my hair...

Thanks all,
    S
    I agree with you Sarah, I'm in the same boat.

I haven't bothered seeing a dermatologist yet lol
    I honestly don't see a point, I'd just walk in, tell them what's going on, have them tell me what I already know and send me on my merry way with a prescription for an expensive steroid cream and shampoo, only to mask the problem. So far I've managed to get most of it under control inflammation wise. I do see a tiny bit of hair regrowth, I think. But I still have quite a bit of built-up flakes to get off of my scalp. That's the only irritating problem.
    It got so bad a few months ago that I've found myself meticulously counting each and every hair that falls out while I'm in the shower. With the nizoral 1% I'd see anywhere from 14-20 hairs. With other shampoos like the aveeno, and head and shoulders, I see anywhere from 5-11 hairs each time I shampoo and condition.
    From start to finish with washing and conditioning my hair, and detangling it with a wide toothed comb, I see anywhere from 20-40 hairs during that routine. Which I assume is normal? I'm not too sure. Throughout the day my hair sheds normally. So far it hasn't gotten any worse with what I'm doing. It's kind of funny how when you don't want your hair to grow, it grows faster than you want it to. But when you want it to grow, it feels like an eternity.
    Just trying to keep my chin up about this whole ordeal, but it's kind of hard sometimes, especially when you find yourself alone and have an extremely wandering mind that goes into overdrive when it comes to thinking lol

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Eunmi View Post
    I honestly don't see a point, I'd just walk in, tell them what's going on, have them tell me what I already know and send me on my merry way with a prescription for an expensive steroid cream and shampoo, only to mask the problem. So far I've managed to get most of it under control inflammation wise. I do see a tiny bit of hair regrowth, I think. But I still have quite a bit of built-up flakes to get off of my scalp. That's the only irritating problem.
    It got so bad a few months ago that I've found myself meticulously counting each and every hair that falls out while I'm in the shower. With the nizoral 1% I'd see anywhere from 14-20 hairs. With other shampoos like the aveeno, and head and shoulders, I see anywhere from 5-11 hairs each time I shampoo and condition.
    From start to finish with washing and conditioning my hair, and detangling it with a wide toothed comb, I see anywhere from 20-40 hairs during that routine. Which I assume is normal? I'm not too sure. Throughout the day my hair sheds normally. So far it hasn't gotten any worse with what I'm doing. It's kind of funny how when you don't want your hair to grow, it grows faster than you want it to. But when you want it to grow, it feels like an eternity.
    Just trying to keep my chin up about this whole ordeal, but it's kind of hard sometimes, especially when you find yourself alone and have an extremely wandering mind that goes into overdrive when it comes to thinking lol
    Aww, Eunni do continue to keep your chin up. If at all possible why not seek out a top knotch derm? You never know, they may have suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eunmi View Post
    I'm using Head and shoulders, but don't see any improvements in hairloss. I looked up sulfate a and hairloss and came across this. http://hairlosstreatmentreport.net/s...-to-hair-loss/. I didn't know some shampoos actually cause hairloss! Btw there are more articles about this.
    These are the ingredients in head and shoulders http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_%26_Shoulders
    Last edited by Samar2000; 9th November 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samar2000 View Post
    I'm using Head and shoulders, but don't see any improvements in hairloss. I looked up sulfate a and hairloss and came across this. http://hairlosstreatmentreport.net/s...-to-hair-loss/. I didn't know some shampoos actually cause hairloss! Btw there are more articles about this.
    These are the ingredients in head and shoulders http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_%26_Shoulders
    Nizoral 1 % is an anti-fungal and anti-androgen shampoo. It's listed as one of the best shampoos for SD and hairloss.

Nizoral 1 % is an anti-fungal and anti-androgen shampoo. It's listed as one of the best shampoos for SD and hairloss.
    Ok, who in this group has SD with hairloss, who has SD without hairloss? Seems like a lot of people with SD also suffer from hairloss.

I have SD with no hair-loss, but periodically my scalp gets really flaky, more so than just dandruff, and I use nizoral shampoo. Also have tried rubbing aloe vera gel into my scalp which doesn't seem to hurt.
    There's another thread about sinus problems. I have bad sinus's. My eyes have heavy bags under them which I've read is related to sinus problems. When I've taken antibiotics I've noticed that my seb derm vanishes and so do the bags under my eyes! Once I come off antibiotics the symptoms return.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the uses of the sulfates is adding onto it, but, I have a naturally oily scalp, so using sulfates on a day to day basis doesn't really mess with the oil production on my scalp. I'm still leery with what shampoos I use. The aveeno has the harshest sulfate in it (ammonium lauryl sulfate from what I can remember). I don't find it to be drying on my hair, only because I condition the length of my hair before shampooing to keep my hair from feeling like straw. But it still helps with the inflammation I've been trying to get rid of for nearly 2 years now. I think I may try to find a more natural shampoo and see how that goes. I haven't ventured off into using tea tree oil just yet for these issues, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'm just not sure on what to use. I'm limited with the money I spend. I came across giovanni triple threat tea tree shampoo and was wondering if that could maybe work. But I've read mixed reviews online.