Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help desperately with Seborrheic Dermatitis hairloss, body, scalp, eyebrows, ect

Default Need help desperately with Seborrheic Dermatitis hairloss, body, scalp, eyebrows, ect

Hello, I hope to god, that someone with a good heart can help me with this problem.

Here is my brief history.

I am 29 years old. I took Accutane for a couple of months (approximately 5 months or so) about 13 years ago. I never had a severe acne problem, but the dermatologist recommended I take it, so I trusted the doctor.

During the "treatment" I noticed all the usual side effects that people get when they are on the drug. When I finally got off Accutane, I notice that as time when on my skin was a lot worse than before. I now had to deal with extremely dry skin, that would start out dry in the beginning of the day and then by midday was very oily.

As the years went by I had to deal with the extreme dry skin, not just on my face but all over my body. I notice that my face and scalp seem to be over producing oil. The hair on my scalp was thinning and falling out. But I learned to live with it.

About 6 years ago, I notice that the hair not only on my scalp but my entire body, including my eyebrows, and beard was thinning and falling out. Especially my scalp, eyebrows, beard, and the lower parts of my legs right above my ankles. The hair feels straw like.

My entire scalp, face(including my eyebrows and beard) gets covered in this yellow/white waxy residue looking stuff. When I come out of the shower you can see the white paste in my eyebrows/beard and scalp. About 3 years ago I had enough and made an appointment with a dermatologist(a different one), and he told me that I had seborrheic dermatitis.

I don't know what do to. I have tried many things and nothing has worked. I thought maybe this was a Candida problem, so I changed my diet and have seen no changes at all. I don't eat any foods with sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast, diary(only plain yogurt). Topically, I have tried using different dandruff shampoos like Head&Shoulders, Selsun Blue, DHS Zinc, DHS Clear, ect. When I wash my face (morning and night) I have to use a cotton pad to remove the stuff from my face. And I use a small pin to clear some of the residue from my eyebrows, but I loose many hairs in the process (about 6-10 hairs in the morning and at night).

My symptoms are:
    -Hair loss/thinning hair: eyebrows, scalp, beard, arms, legs, private area, pretty much the hair on my entire body is thinning and falling out.
    -White residue: on face, eyebrows, scalp, beard, ears.
    -Extreme dry skin: on face, arms, legs.
    -Oily skin by midday.
    -My feet get really hot at night.
    -Dandruff: Scalp, eyebrows, beard.

If anyone can help, or if anyone here has similar problems please reply.

Hi Jose77, I believe there's a clue where you wrote, "The hair feels straw like." The medical term for this plus hair loss is "doll hair." You might research this.

I'm assuming that you are not using a shampoo with salicylic acid -- not because it does any harm but it will make hair feel strawlike.

Hair loss is described by several people on this forum, but no one has ever described the causative agent or an effective treatment.

My opinion is that seb derm is much too general to be a proper diagnosis.

you can try an antifungal cream that stays on longer if you can tolerate it (if you suspect your problem is fungal) many people here have had success with lotramin ultra so you could give that a go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose77 View Post
    Hello, I hope to god, that someone with a good heart can help me with this problem.

Here is my brief history.

I am 29 years old. I took Accutane for a couple of months (approximately 5 months or so) about 13 years ago. I never had a severe acne problem, but the dermatologist recommended I take it, so I trusted the doctor.

During the "treatment" I noticed all the usual side effects that people get when they are on the drug. When I finally got off Accutane, I notice that as time when on my skin was a lot worse than before. I now had to deal with extremely dry skin, that would start out dry in the beginning of the day and then by midday was very oily.

As the years went by I had to deal with the extreme dry skin, not just on my face but all over my body. I notice that my face and scalp seem to be over producing oil. The hair on my scalp was thinning and falling out. But I learned to live with it.

About 6 years ago, I notice that the hair not only on my scalp but my entire body, including my eyebrows, and beard was thinning and falling out. Especially my scalp, eyebrows, beard, and the lower parts of my legs right above my ankles. The hair feels straw like.

My entire scalp, face(including my eyebrows and beard) gets covered in this yellow/white waxy residue looking stuff. When I come out of the shower you can see the white paste in my eyebrows/beard and scalp. About 3 years ago I had enough and made an appointment with a dermatologist(a different one), and he told me that I had seborrheic dermatitis.

I don't know what do to. I have tried many things and nothing has worked. I thought maybe this was a Candida problem, so I changed my diet and have seen no changes at all. I don't eat any foods with sugar, wheat, gluten, yeast, diary(only plain yogurt). Topically, I have tried using different dandruff shampoos like Head&Shoulders, Selsun Blue, DHS Zinc, DHS Clear, ect. When I wash my face (morning and night) I have to use a cotton pad to remove the stuff from my face. And I use a small pin to clear some of the residue from my eyebrows, but I loose many hairs in the process (about 6-10 hairs in the morning and at night).

My symptoms are:
    -Hair loss/thinning hair: eyebrows, scalp, beard, arms, legs, private area, pretty much the hair on my entire body is thinning and falling out.
    -White residue: on face, eyebrows, scalp, beard, ears.
    -Extreme dry skin: on face, arms, legs.
    -Oily skin by midday.
    -My feet get really hot at night.
    -Dandruff: Scalp, eyebrows, beard.

If anyone can help, or if anyone here has similar problems please reply.
    I'm having the same issue , lots of eyebrow loss caused by the inflamed hair follicles , after they are treated with the shampoos , the small red inflamed pimples that are surrounding the hairs dry up and when they are removed the hairs are removed with them. I honestly ran out of ideas . Im thinking about using water only and not rubbing the skin at all just splash water on it a few times than dubbing it dry with a tissue paper doing this regimen 6 times a day . maybe i should let these pimples heal on their own....
    Last edited by santa_3010; 31st October 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

I wanted to add some more information.

Each hair that falls out has a white tip at the end of the hair. The hair looks very weak.

I started taking MSM and this has helped regrow some hair on my eyebrows, beard, legs, ect, but the hair is still weak and falls out with the white tip. I still have all the other symptoms.

These are the supplements I take: Zinc 50 mg(am and pm), Cod Liver Oil (am & pm), Vit D(am & pm), Biotin 5000 (am & pm), Calcium and Magnesium(am & pm), MSM 1,800 mg, I take six 1/2 tbsp in the morning and six more at night.

I've been dealing with this crap for almost 3 years now.
    I've been doing a lot of research online for home remedies associated with this condition.
    This had all started over a depressive episode of self-neglect. Biggest regret of my life. Ever.
    Only 25 years old and dealing with hair loss. Ugh, so frustrating!
    I've been trying brand after brand of anti-fungals and anti-dandruff shampoos.
    The ones I have found that work the most, for myself, is Aveeno Active Naturals anti-dandruff shampoo, and regular head and shoulders. I tried using Nizoral, I went through an entire bottle before I started to flip out over the increase in hair shedding while washing my hair. So I haven't used it since. And using a few essential oils added into my shampoos. I've found myself mostly using peppermint/eucalyptus oils. I've tried hot oil treatments to help loosen the scales, and it only made my problems worse. And dealing with the hair fall associated with this condition just made it even more devastating. Over the last 3 years I've lost about 50% of my hair density, it's still not noticeable to others, but it's still a burden having to walk out and feeling insecure about yourself because of this. I don't have any bald patches or anything, my shedding has returned to normal (finally). It's just these annoying scales that need to be taken care of. I do have SOME hair regrowth, but it's almost as if my hair had just stopped growing. I've been told and looked up plenty of stuff associated with this. I've been told the hair loss is permanent, temporary, and that it can eventually stop hair growth all together because of sebum buildup. I'm at my wits end. Losing this much hair has taken its toll.

Sorry for the double post.
    But another thing I've added into aiding with this is the aveeno active naturals eczema therapy lotion. I just dab it onto my problem areas on my scalp and it's been helping somewhat. It's too soon to tell considering I've only been using it for about 2 days now, but it has helped a bit. I've also adjusted my diet a bit.
    I've been eating more leafy greens and fresh veggies lately. I TRY to avoid sugars and carbs but it's just so tempting. Although I can say that it hasn't caused any flareups as far as I can tell.
    Here's a list of vitamins I have been supplementing with for the last month:
    One a day multi-vitamin. (1x daily, in the morning).
    10,000 mcg's of biotin with 100mg of keratin ( I take 2 of these a day but it's not really necessary; one in the morning and one in the evening).
    fish,flax, and borage oil. Which also has: evening primrose oil, and black currant oil. (2x a day. One in the morning, one in evening)
    I know that a 3-6-9 supplement should be avoided, because of the whole omega 3: omega 6 ratio. But I try to avoid any oily foods like the plague, even then when it's consumed, it's barely any to make much of a difference. Imo.
    Again, sorry for the double post. it's been hard trying to cope with this hair loss issue associated with seborrheic dermatitis alone.
    As a female, it's just been ugh, so annoying and difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Eunmi View Post
    Sorry for the double post.
    But another thing I've added into aiding with this is the aveeno active naturals eczema therapy lotion. I just dab it onto my problem areas on my scalp and it's been helping somewhat. It's too soon to tell considering I've only been using it for about 2 days now, but it has helped a bit. I've also adjusted my diet a bit.
    I've been eating more leafy greens and fresh veggies lately. I TRY to avoid sugars and carbs but it's just so tempting. Although I can say that it hasn't caused any flareups as far as I can tell.
    Here's a list of vitamins I have been supplementing with for the last month:
    One a day multi-vitamin. (1x daily, in the morning).
    10,000 mcg's of biotin with 100mg of keratin ( I take 2 of these a day but it's not really necessary; one in the morning and one in the evening).
    fish,flax, and borage oil. Which also has: evening primrose oil, and black currant oil. (2x a day. One in the morning, one in evening)
    I know that a 3-6-9 supplement should be avoided, because of the whole omega 3: omega 6 ratio. But I try to avoid any oily foods like the plague, even then when it's consumed, it's barely any to make much of a difference. Imo.
    Again, sorry for the double post. it's been hard trying to cope with this hair loss issue associated with seborrheic dermatitis alone.
    As a female, it's just been ugh, so annoying and difficult.
    Hi. Have you read Tom Busby's sticky in seb derm forum? This will help. I'm older than you,
    And have experienced much of what you say. PM if you like. Birdie

I actually haven't ventured onto these forums enough to have seen it. I randomly came across this one while searching for solutions to combat this problem.
    And then decided "Why not? it's worth a shot."

Well, almost all of the inflammation has gone down since i started taking omega 3-6-9 supplements for the last 5 days. Finally.
    Hopefully now I can get rid of this crud on my scalp and pray my hair grows back.
    I think I may start taking MSM to help along with my hair growth. Assuming it works.