Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Only Symptoms - Red Cheeks and Forehead

Default My Only Symptoms - Red Cheeks and Forehead

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have been reading this and other rosacea forums (such as Rosacea-Support) for close to 10 years now. I finally decided to join because I know there are many knowledgeable people here, and I wanted to give a quick background of my history with this condition to see if anyone can give me some helpful advice.

I am a 30 year old male from Pennsylvania. I first started to develop rosacea (or at least what I believe to be rosacea) right around my 16th birthday in July of 2000. I was formally diagnosed by a dermatologist a few years later, but I should note that I had to tell the doctor "I think I have rosacea" and he agreed with some hesitation. There seemed to be nothing very scientific about it. My mother has it and he said it was genetic and that I got it from her. Thanks doc.

Anyway, my symptoms are kind of unique, at least from what I've seen from other people on this forum. My cheeks and my forehead are red, bright red most of the time, and that's it. If I'm stressed, anxious, or in a hot room, my face will turn bright red and I can feel the heat in my face. Other than this I have no pain, burning, swelling, or any phyiscal pain or discomfort from this condition. It is purely cosmetic. Needless to say, this does cause pretty bad social anxiety, and when I can tell someone is really studying my face or if I'm just nervous or anxious about something, my rosacea flushing does get worse and this causes more social anxiety, which leads to a vicious cycle. My face is pretty much pink/light red in the morning for about 30 minutes, and it progressively gets worse as the day goes on. My skin is also oily and always has been. I had acne during my teen years but nothing significant since. Even though my skin is oily, my forehead near my hairline is often very flaky.

One difference I think that exists between myself and a lof of others here, besides never getting any papules and pustules, is that my face is ALWAYS red. I see others writing here that something caused them to flush, or this causes an outbreak or that caused them to get red. And I always wondered, what do they mean "caused them to flush?" I am always flushing. My cheeks and forehead are pemanently red. They have been for more than 14 years now. To me it looks awfully stupid and is embarrassing, which is why I'm here to seek help.

I have been a believer in natural medicine, alternative cures, vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, etc. for most of my life, but here's a shocker, nothing has even helped reduce symptoms so far, let alone been a cure. I have tried many different supplements from about 10 different companies over the years. I usually research a possible cause like a digestive enzyme deficiency, or vitamin/mineral deficiency, or a toxic buildup of heavy metals for instance, and then I am naive enough to buy supplements that supposedly will address the problem and believe my rosacea will be cured after taking them for a couple months. I'm not joking. I have been stupidly optimistic up to this point, but I've reached a point where I think it's pretty much all a scam because nothing even begins to work.

But my overall health is fantastic. I have no major ailments and I never have. I take no medications. I have approximately five percent body fat and I'm all lean muscle. I go out of my way to eat healthy all the time and I almost never miss a morning workout. Nutrition and fitness consume my life, which makes the fact that I have this condition even more frustrating. My diet is mostly vegetarian, 100% non-gmo, low gluten, low dairy, and I litetally haven't eaten a food you'd consider desert since I was about 12 or 13 years old. I rarely snack and mainly eat three meals a day. If I do snack it's a health food like raw almonds.

I do have to say, however, that I'm a person that requires a solid 8 hours of sleep per night and I almost never get that on weekdays. I probably average 5 and a half to 6 and then 10-11 on weekends. And I am VERY easily stressed out and flustered with a short temper, especially at work. I know for a fact that adds to my facial flushing. No matter what I tell myself I just can't seem to settle down. But despite all this, I still feel that rosacea in general has a root cause of either a nutritional deficiency or a toxicity. I believe it's gut related, and I do have occasional constipation, but nothing too severe.

I am open-minded and ready to hear any and all suggestions from anyone on this forum. I can provide a picture of myself if necessary as well. But I have no acne, or flushing on my nose or chin. I do have back acne, but I think it's unrelated. It's only the red cheeks and forehead, and really now that I think about it, the sides of my head are also red, but that's it. I think it's gotten a little worse in the past two years, mainly because people are surprisingly not bashful at all in commenting on my face or asking if I've been getting a lot of sun. Two years ago is when I started my current high-stress job, so even though I don't see my symptoms as a whole lot worse, maybe they are.

Sorry for the long first post, but I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any help based on my specific type of rosacea, especially if there's anyone else out there that has similar symptoms. Thank you in advance!

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum!

What did the doctor suggest after he diagnosed you? Did he provide a treatment regimen/plan for you?

Perhaps Vbeam laser could help you with the redness - though you want to be sure you've been diagnosed correctly.

Dealing with the anxiety will definitely help you. I know! It's so hard when we feel the stare from others or think we do. The fear of what our faces are doing or looking like is a drag! I've found that working on anxiety helps me a lot - takes down my anxiety facial combustions!

Perhaps an anti-inflammatory will help you. But again, I would make sure you've been properly diagnosed.

When you mentioned flakiness, it made me wonder if you have some degree of seb derm?

Hi Jeff. If you haven't recently, I would get a physical from
    Internist and consult a derm. It would be helpful to know
    If your red cheeks developed slowly or suddenly.

Recommend asking derm to to do skin scrapings for
    Yeast and mites.

You may also consider allergy testing.

Unless, you eliminate other possibilities for the skin
    Condition, you can't be sure. Birdie

Thanks for your advice hg24. Yes the anxiety is a tough one and very real. I believe I am making progress with it but it's a constant struggle. My dermatologist at the time just prescribed some metrogel which helps my mom but never did any good for me. He honestly didn't have much advice or a regimen for me. He seemed like he knew very little about rosacea other than that it was genetic and that there was no cure. Keep in mind this is probably around 2002-2004. It seems like we've made a lot of progress since then as far as studies and research goes.

I also believe I may have a mild case of seb derm like you mentioned but I guess I'd have to go back to a dermatologist to be diagnosed and know for sure.

Hi Birdie, thanks for your help as well. It seems like the redness did come on rather suddenly at age 16 but then again it could have been building up for years before that, and also, the severity of the redness has gotten a little worse over the years. The good thing is, like I said in my original post, I have no other symptoms, I rarely get pimples, and my skin, even where red, is usually rather smooth.

I really like your suggestions of having the derm do skin scrapings for yeast and mites and possibly allergy testing. My cheeks and forehead are sometimes a little itchy, although nothing too bad and it comes and goes.

This sounds just like my symptoms. I have mild redness on my forehead and cheeks all the time. I get even redder with embarrassment or after drinking alcohol or being in the wind or too hot... I don't have any pimples. My skin is smooth just blotchy and red most of the time. People also tell me all the time that it looks like I've had a sunburn. I've been prescribed Oracea and the metronidazole gel. I started this medicine last friday. Nothing noticeable so far. I also never have taken meds before this. I eat a pretty healthy diet (nothing like yours) but I mostly cook at home and never eat fast food. I do get exercise about 5 times a week. I am starting to have blurry vision at times but I don't know if it has anything to do with rosacea. I don't have any family that has this. I also had to tell my dermatologist I thought I had it before they confirmed it. Please tell me if you get any info on treatment for redness besides taking antibiotic for long periods of time. I really don't like to take oracea daily. The gel doesn't bother me.....I have more triggers to redness just too many to list here. To avoid all of them would be immposible. Thanks

Could you please post a picture of your condition? this sounds exactly like mine symptoms..

Quote Originally Posted by jeff311 View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and have been reading this and other rosacea forums (such as Rosacea-Support) for close to 10 years now. I finally decided to join because I know there are many knowledgeable people here, and I wanted to give a quick background of my history with this condition to see if anyone can give me some helpful advice.

I am a 30 year old male from Pennsylvania. I first started to develop rosacea (or at least what I believe to be rosacea) right around my 16th birthday in July of 2000. I was formally diagnosed by a dermatologist a few years later, but I should note that I had to tell the doctor "I think I have rosacea" and he agreed with some hesitation. There seemed to be nothing very scientific about it. My mother has it and he said it was genetic and that I got it from her. Thanks doc.

Anyway, my symptoms are kind of unique, at least from what I've seen from other people on this forum. My cheeks and my forehead are red, bright red most of the time, and that's it. If I'm stressed, anxious, or in a hot room, my face will turn bright red and I can feel the heat in my face. Other than this I have no pain, burning, swelling, or any phyiscal pain or discomfort from this condition. It is purely cosmetic. Needless to say, this does cause pretty bad social anxiety, and when I can tell someone is really studying my face or if I'm just nervous or anxious about something, my rosacea flushing does get worse and this causes more social anxiety, which leads to a vicious cycle. My face is pretty much pink/light red in the morning for about 30 minutes, and it progressively gets worse as the day goes on. My skin is also oily and always has been. I had acne during my teen years but nothing significant since. Even though my skin is oily, my forehead near my hairline is often very flaky.

One difference I think that exists between myself and a lof of others here, besides never getting any papules and pustules, is that my face is ALWAYS red. I see others writing here that something caused them to flush, or this causes an outbreak or that caused them to get red. And I always wondered, what do they mean "caused them to flush?" I am always flushing. My cheeks and forehead are pemanently red. They have been for more than 14 years now. To me it looks awfully stupid and is embarrassing, which is why I'm here to seek help.

I have been a believer in natural medicine, alternative cures, vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, etc. for most of my life, but here's a shocker, nothing has even helped reduce symptoms so far, let alone been a cure. I have tried many different supplements from about 10 different companies over the years. I usually research a possible cause like a digestive enzyme deficiency, or vitamin/mineral deficiency, or a toxic buildup of heavy metals for instance, and then I am naive enough to buy supplements that supposedly will address the problem and believe my rosacea will be cured after taking them for a couple months. I'm not joking. I have been stupidly optimistic up to this point, but I've reached a point where I think it's pretty much all a scam because nothing even begins to work.

But my overall health is fantastic. I have no major ailments and I never have. I take no medications. I have approximately five percent body fat and I'm all lean muscle. I go out of my way to eat healthy all the time and I almost never miss a morning workout. Nutrition and fitness consume my life, which makes the fact that I have this condition even more frustrating. My diet is mostly vegetarian, 100% non-gmo, low gluten, low dairy, and I litetally haven't eaten a food you'd consider desert since I was about 12 or 13 years old. I rarely snack and mainly eat three meals a day. If I do snack it's a health food like raw almonds.
    I do have to say, however, that I'm a person that requires a solid 8 hours of sleep per night and I almost never get that on weekdays. I probably average 5 and a half to 6 and then 10-11 on weekends. And I am VERY easily stressed out and flustered with a short temper, especially at work. I know for a fact that adds to my facial flushing. No matter what I tell myself I just can't seem to settle down. But despite all this, I still feel that rosacea in general has a root cause of either a nutritional deficiency or a toxicity. I believe it's gut related, and I do have occasional constipation, but nothing too severe.

I am open-minded and ready to hear any and all suggestions from anyone on this forum. I can provide a picture of myself if necessary as well. But I have no acne, or flushing on my nose or chin. I do have back acne, but I think it's unrelated. It's only the red cheeks and forehead, and really now that I think about it, the sides of my head are also red, but that's it. I think it's gotten a little worse in the past two years, mainly because people are surprisingly not bashful at all in commenting on my face or asking if I've been getting a lot of sun. Two years ago is when I started my current high-stress job, so even though I don't see my symptoms as a whole lot worse, maybe they are.

Sorry for the long first post, but I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any help based on my specific type of rosacea, especially if there's anyone else out there that has similar symptoms. Thank you in advance!
    Diet does f**k All for some people . Damned if you do , Damned if you don't

ChrisDS, I hear you on the triggers. I think I've pinpointed exactly what causes me to flush...EVERYTHING! lol...But seriously, this condition really sucks. It just doesn't go away or even improve except for maybe a good stretch here or there of 30 minutes or an hour. Like I said, when I wake up in the morning, for the first 30-60 minutes my skin is usually at its best, which isn't that great mind you, but it's better than it is for the rest of the day. Speaking of that, antrax asked me to post a picture and I will since I think it might help myself and others who have similar symptoms. This picture was taken in early 2013 and my face was way better/less red than average for some reason, which makes no sense because I probably felt like my face was on fire getting my picture taken and being around a bunch of people, but it's normally a lot worse. You can still make out the ridiculous pattern of redness on my cheeks and forehead though.

Oh and davekelly, you are 100% right. If anyone was going to prevent rosacea or "cure" it, it would be me. Not to sound arrogant, but I am probably in better health and care more about my health/nutrition/fitness than 99% of the population, but it doesn't mean a thing with rosacea apparently, at least not for me.

jeff.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jeff311 View Post
    ChrisDS, I hear you on the triggers. I think I've pinpointed exactly what causes me to flush...EVERYTHING! lol...But seriously, this condition really sucks. It just doesn't go away or even improve except for maybe a good stretch here or there of 30 minutes or an hour. Like I said, when I wake up in the morning, for the first 30-60 minutes my skin is usually at its best, which isn't that great mind you, but it's better than it is for the rest of the day. Speaking of that, antrax asked me to post a picture and I will since I think it might help myself and others who have similar symptoms. This picture was taken in early 2013 and my face was way better/less red than average for some reason, which makes no sense because I probably felt like my face was on fire getting my picture taken and being around a bunch of people, but it's normally a lot worse. You can still make out the ridiculous pattern of redness on my cheeks and forehead though.

Oh and davekelly, you are 100% right. If anyone was going to prevent rosacea or "cure" it, it would be me. Not to sound arrogant, but I am probably in better health and care more about my health/nutrition/fitness than 99% of the population, but it doesn't mean a thing with rosacea apparently, at least not for me.

jeff.jpg
    I really hope you do mate .

But what if the back acne and the face is connected and it might be yeast/fungal/candida? That your face shows signs of inflammation.
    I had a similar diet, still with modifications and probiotics there's a huge difference.