Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Experience with Vbeam Perfecta

Default My First Experience with Vbeam Perfecta

So at around 4pm EST today, I had my first Vbeam Perfecta treatment. I have KPRF, not Rosacea, but I thought this would still be helpful to anyone who might read this. The technician said she was expecting me to swell up and get purple but neither really happened. Maybe the settings were too weak? It was my first treatment so I wasn't gonna go too high anyway. When I asked, she said "10, 6, 10" without specifying which was spot spize, pulse duration, and joules. Does anyone have an idea as to what she meant?

Probably means 10J/cm^2 / 6ms duration / 10mm spot size. That is a about a medium sort of setting and may or may not cause bruising.

It could also means 10ms duration / 6J/cm^2 / 10mm spot size. That would be very mild and you may not notice any side effects (or results for that matter).

You will need to get better info to be sure.

The "6" was for joules. The technician really overestimated my skin's sensitivity and I'll have to ask her to raise the settings next time. I forgot to mention that the treatment was stacked so there was some clearance, but it wasn't much. The first treatment is always the most disappointing so I'm still keeping my hopes up and I already scheduled the second treatment for November 14th.

So you think it was :10ms duration / 6J/cm^2 / 10mm?

If so, I don't think she overestimated YOUR sensitivity. That would be such a mild treatment (not sure I have seen anything that mild stated before) that I don't think anyone would bruise from that. So if the thought you may bruise, there may be something wrong with her knowledge base and understanding of settings. "IF" the settings are as above and she expected purpura, I would really question how much this technician knows about V-Beam settings.

Do you really want to trust your face to a tech who probably had a 2 hour tutorial given by a laser company rep. Please do some research on this board and check sites like ratemd for a doctor with a lot of experience

I'm sorry but I neglected to mention a few things. I'm 16 and slightly olive. I think that's probably why the technician was a bit skeptical about how higher settings would affect me. I'm not the typical 35 year old rosacean, so she's just being careful. There's no need to jump the gun there. She has over 5 years of experience under her belt so I'm not worried about her knowledge base, especially since the redness technically went down and I experienced no side effects. Thanks for the warnings and sarcasm, I guess, but they're not really necessary. If she didn't know what she was doing, something would've gone wrong from the get-go.

Quote Originally Posted by Short View Post
    I'm sorry but I neglected to mention a few things. I'm 16 and slightly olive. I think that's probably why the technician was a bit skeptical about how higher settings would affect me. I'm not the typical 35 year old rosacean, so she's just being careful. There's no need to jump the gun there. She has over 5 years of experience under her belt so I'm not worried about her knowledge base, especially since the redness technically went down and I experienced no side effects. Thanks for the warnings and sarcasm, I guess, but they're not really necessary. If she didn't know what she was doing, something would've gone wrong from the get-go.
    That is a pretty poor response to people that are here to help and know about this. I had my first IPL over 15 years ago btw. You have only given us vague information and did not even bother to follow up with more accurate numbers. I won't comment any further, but there is a lot info in the search.

i don't mean to be snarky here, but the information included in your response just shows that you have a lot to learn about this rosacea and laser treatments. There are people of all ages on this board. Every one of us is different. That's one of the problems with Rosacea.There is no typical Rosacea patient Please educate yourself. In many states a tech is not even allowed to hold a laser. An "experienced" doctor should know how to treat all skin types. They should be able to adjust the settings in different ways depending on your response to treatment. Higher is not always better. Five years of using the same settings for every condition that walks in the door (lots of doctors do this too) is not experience. These are powerful machines. Take a look at the ipl and laser damage board to see what has happened to people in the wrong hands. You're only 16 and have a lot of years to live with one face. It is worth your time, and you should be very careful. There is a lot of information here and people willing to help you. If you think that you already know it all then you should not be on a support board

Being vague was an honest mistake. I did call and ask bout the joules/pulse duration and she said it was 6 joules, hence why I said it was set to 6 joules earlier. I didn't say "I think it was set to 6 joules." Responding with a condescending tone to someone who didn't initially use one is incredibly rude. The point I was trying to make about not being the an adult with rosacea was that I'm an uncommon case that few dermatologists in general have dealt with. I understand that everyone is a unique case and this machine can have different effects on people. I'm not gonna post anymore because there is nothing more repulsive than a couple of people who think they know everything and consistently imply that I am ignorant. If you don't mean to be snarky, then don't be, instead of typing "I don't mean to be snarky but go educate yourself."

Hi short, please don't stop posting!! There are so many like that on this forum, you just have to ignore them. Having this disease can really turn you into something nasty. Anyway I'm 15 and have had 5 vbeam treatments still recovering from my 5th one and have seen pretty good results probably 50% . My settings were like yours, hardly any side effects and the redness would go away in like an hour or so. But I've still seen improvement but I regret not telling my laser nurse to up the intensity because I know I should of. How bad is your KPRF, do you have the usual triggers??
    Hope your skin is well xx