Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering From Damage

Default Recovering From Damage

For anyone who has had success at stopping P&P and inflammation on the long term AND who had damaged-looking skin otherwise (rough texture, enlarged pores) - Did you find your skin returning to a more normal texture over time? Does anyone have any info on the recovery of Rosacea-damaged skin after relief from active symptoms? I have tried looking around and I can't really find much on it.

I figure laser/ipl therapy may be the only way after enough damage has been done. But I also hope that since I had acne for years in my teens and recovered with normal looking skin, that this may work similarly? Haha, wishful thinking perhaps.

Any info is welcome, thanks.

I am curious to hear how you cleared up your rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by flurb View Post
    For anyone who has had success at stopping P&P and inflammation on the long term AND who had damaged-looking skin otherwise (rough texture, enlarged pores) - Did you find your skin returning to a more normal texture over time? Does anyone have any info on the recovery of Rosacea-damaged skin after relief from active symptoms? I have tried looking around and I can't really find much on it.

I figure laser/ipl therapy may be the only way after enough damage has been done. But I also hope that since I had acne for years in my teens and recovered with normal looking skin, that this may work similarly? Haha, wishful thinking perhaps.

You might find IPL is a better choice than true lasers because the crystal/head that delivers the light energy is larger and it's easier to get complete coverage of the skin this way. Obviously, find a doctor you trust and do your homework.

Low-level red light therapy can also be used to help your skin heal and strengthen it over time (as opposed to the quick thermal injury and response from IPL/laser).

If you combine the two, you can hold on to the results from your IPL/laser for much longer and speed the process up.

Best,

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Thanks for the info IowaDavid

Quote Originally Posted by chryssie6 View Post
    I am curious to hear how you cleared up your rosacea?
    I haven't so much cleared it as I was just curious about the healing process for people who have cleared it. I have only recently started treating my skin for demodex mites and have seen some good progress so far. I posted more about it here:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...264#post302264

Also this post from Iverdoneit was what started me in that direction:

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...8See-photos%29

In my experience the only lasers that will change skin texture and improve serious damage are erbium or CO2 lasers. I had CO2 resurfacing about 5 years ago. I did not leave my house for a week because I looked absolutely hideous, and it was painful and expensive at 4k. But, I looked amazing after a month and, at almost 40 years old I look 30 now. It completely changed my skin texture and removed most damage. But, because of the risks and inconvenience it may cause, it isn't for everyone.

Fractionated lasers are quite popular because of less down-time and complications. Do your research!

Quote Originally Posted by flurb View Post

Does insurance cover any if the laser treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
    In my experience the only lasers that will change skin texture and improve serious damage are erbium or CO2 lasers. I had CO2 resurfacing about 5 years ago. I did not leave my house for a week because I looked absolutely hideous, and it was painful and expensive at 4k. But, I looked amazing after a month and, at almost 40 years old I look 30 now. It completely changed my skin texture and removed most damage. But, because of the risks and inconvenience it may cause, it isn't for everyone.

Fractionated lasers are quite popular because of less down-time and complications. Do your research!
    How long did it take for your skin to recover completely after the CO2 resurfacing treatment? That always scared me! I don't think I'd want to chance it. That's great that you found it useful, though.

Best,

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinelee1979 View Post
    Does insurance cover any if the laser treatment?

In probably 90% cases, no. Treatment for skin tone, color, or scars is considered cosmetic.

Hi,

I remember the recovery time distinctly...I had a Madonna concert to go to eight days after the CO2 treatment and I was worried I wouldn't recover in time. I didn't completely recover by concert night but I was presentable enough and applied make up to cover any remaining minor redness and uneven skin tone. It was approximately two weeks for complete recovery and I was thrilled with the results.

It definitely isn't for everyone. I recall anxiety around day three post treatment, I was washing my face as directed and was looking in the mirror at my swollen, inflamed and raw face...I did get some anxiety thinking that this might be a permanent look for me, glad it wasn't!

I should mention that I did get a staph infection on my face but my derm prescribed antibiotics and it went away.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by IowaDavid View Post
    How long did it take for your skin to recover completely after the CO2 resurfacing treatment? That always scared me! I don't think I'd want to chance it. That's great that you found it useful, though.

Best,

David

I am 100% free of P&Ps but do not feel that the texture improved automatically. The textural damage is in fact more noticeable when the P&Ps are gone.

I have also had Vbeam and IPL just on settings for redness. Supposedly even at redness settings it is supposed to minorly improve texture but have not noticed this.