Thread: Question about blepharitis

Default Question about blepharitis

My eyes are burning and eyelashes are falling out. Dermatologist seems to think it's because of the mascara I use which contains nickel (I'm allergic to nickel). So I used different mascara which didn't contain nickel . 1 week later, eyes are still burning and eyelashes still falling out. I lost a lot of eyelashes, I'm scared I'm gonna lose them all. I do have SD, so wouldn't it make more sense if this is blepharitis. I started the whole routine you have to do for blepharitis , but I still don't see any eyelashes growing back. Will they ever grow back?

Default re

hello do u have rosacea? if your eyes are burning you sound like you have inflammation...how long have they been burning? i take oracea and it controls my ocular rosacea well. i would imagine the eyelashes would grow back if you can get the inflammation under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Samar2000 View Post
    My eyes are burning and eyelashes are falling out. Dermatologist seems to think it's because of the mascara I use which contains nickel (I'm allergic to nickel). So I used different mascara which didn't contain nickel . 1 week later, eyes are still burning and eyelashes still falling out. I lost a lot of eyelashes, I'm scared I'm gonna lose them all. I do have SD, so wouldn't it make more sense if this is blepharitis. I started the whole routine you have to do for blepharitis , but I still don't see any eyelashes growing back. Will they ever grow back?

Nickel compounds are not permitted in cosmetic products in at least Europe, USA or Japan.

Thank you, I don't know if I have rosacea. Dermatologist said I have SD and the eye burning is related to nickel in mascara ( which is apparently not true). I think I have rosacea, because I do have some broken capillaries, besides the oily skin and burning sensations. Seems like some dermatologists don't know what they're talking about. Frustrating.

Found this article about an old woman in Bosnia claiming she can cure eye diseases.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-eyeballs.html

Hi Samar, are you using any eyedrops? What are your exact ocular symptoms and what are you using to treat them? Do you have burning, itching, tearing, discharge? If yes to the discharge what color is it (sorry gross question I know).

Best,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Samar, are you using any eyedrops? What are your exact ocular symptoms and what are you using to treat them? Do you have burning, itching, tearing, discharge? If yes to the discharge what color is it (sorry gross question I know).

Best,
    Melissa
    I have no burning eyes anymore, in the morning I have white crusty flakes in my eyelashes. I used to have really thick, long eyelashes, people used to compliment me on it. Now I have not that many eyelashes left, they just keep falling out, even though I have the inflammation under control. Oh, when I cry, my eyelids are really really swollen, this swelling goes down after a day, is that normal?
    For treatment, I use warm compresses and babyshampoo to cleanse my eyelashes, twice a day. I also have eyedrops for dry eyes.
    Last edited by Samar2000; 27th November 2014 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samar2000 View Post
    I have no burning eyes anymore, in the morning I have white crusty flakes in my eyelashes. I used to have really thick, long eyelashes, people used to compliment me on it. Now I have not that many eyelashes left, they just keep falling out, even though I have the inflammation under control. Oh, when I cry, my eyelids are really really swollen, this swelling goes down after a day, is that normal?
    For treatment, I use warm compresses and babyshampoo to cleanse my eyelashes, twice a day. I also have eyedrops for dry eyes.
    Hi Samar, I am writing this on the go on my phone so please excuse any typos.

First of all I prefer cleansing your lashes and lids with either warm compresses and water or theralid cleansing pads or ocusoft lid pads. I find shampoo cleansing of lids to be overly harsh. Second of all make sure you are using preservative free rewetting eye drops. I would also recommend asking your doctor for an rx to Restasis as that might help calm down ocular inflammation.

In time your lashes should come back once the inflammation is under better control. And yes it is totally normal for our lids to be swollen after a cry. I have unfortunately been there and done that. Many times. Good news is a good cry can be cathartic.

Hugs,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Samar, I am writing this on the go on my phone so please excuse any typos.

First of all I prefer cleansing your lashes and lids with either warm compresses and water or theralid cleansing pads or ocusoft lid pads. I find shampoo cleansing of lids to be overly harsh. Second of all make sure you are using preservative free rewetting eye drops. I would also recommend asking your doctor for an rx to Restasis as that might help calm down ocular inflammation.

In time your lashes should come back once the inflammation is under better control. And yes it is totally normal for our lids to be swollen after a cry. I have unfortunately been there and done that. Many times. Good news is a good cry can be cathartic.

Hugs,
    Melissa
    Thank you for the advice Melissa! and happy thanks giving!

Irritated eyes, dropping eyelashes, crusty flakes in the morning: this sounds like a textbook case of demodex infestation.

Look around the forum and google for demodex and tea tree oil (TTO).