Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V-beam: The "what have I done now??" feeling

Default V-beam: The "what have I done now??" feeling

Hi all, 2 weeks ago I did my first ever vbeam, and I'm still struggling with the "what have I done??" feeling. This post is a post for others considering the procedure to give you hopefully a clearer picture of what you might expect (in the weeks/months(?) after procedure), and it is also a little cry for some reassuring words from other experienced v-beamers. Please feel free to add your experience as well, does it differ? better or worse?

It's a little funny, I have been on this forum for over 2 years now and I have read numerous articles about v-beam, still I was NOT prepared for this, I had no clue actually. My previous experience has only been with IPL at probably very low settings, I had 3 IPL treatments several years ago which had almost no effect and the redness and downtime was negligible.

After the procedure I have been reading page after page under the laser and ipl subforum, but now with a clear focus for what I was searching for, and suddenly I find a lot of answers. I'm a little reassured by that but the fear is still lurking underneath. I know this condition has done something to my psyche so my constant reappering fear is that I'm making it worse than it already is.

Here's what the dermatologist told me:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    * There is no long term side effects whatsoever
    * You will be a little red, but that will fade very quick. You will be fully recovered in a couple of days. You can go to work the following day etc...(sigh).
    * And when I asked about fat-loss and hyperpigmentation etc he said no and no. Hyperpigmentation could develop with bruising and he did not intend to do that.
    * In general I got the feeling that there was no problem at all, he had done this for decades and the lasers of today was top notch and all horror stories was history.

Here's what actually happened:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Day 0: Intense redness, similar to most extreme flushing I have ever had. Sore and tense feeling. The redness faded gradually and after around 3-5 hours it looked pretty good. For a little while I was thrilled, this seamed to be going very well. BUT something was about to happen, there was a rebound lurking underneath. After 6-7 hours I started swelling, and there was this throbbing feeling in my cheeks.

Day 1: Wake up and looked myself in the mirror. Ohhh horrible!! I was looking like a baloon, my cheeks where red, swollen and blotchy and there was this throbbing itchy and tingling feeling. Go to work? haha yeah right. I was not prepared for this not at all.

Day 2-3: Swelling and redness continued. Redness has faded a little, but it's more patchy with some areas a little redder than others.

Day 3: Swelling starting to fade a little, the tingling and throbbing feelings subside.

Day 4: Swelling is now almost back to normal, redness has faded. But several small red pimples has popped up giving a patched look to the redness.

Day 5: Swelling looks better now, almost completely down. Not visible to other than myself I think.

Week1-Week2: When the swelling was subsided I felt a little better and started hoping that the worst was over. But there was more to come! I was a lot more flushy than before, almost anything could make me flush, and the flushing was way more intense than before, and it took forever to fade down. I started flushing intensly every day, a little cold wind -> intense flush, wash my face with water -> medium to intense flush depending on the rubbing, eating -> way more flushy, emotions -> EXTREMELY more flushy, products I tolerated before made my skin flush and burn, I have also started to flush for no particular reason. Almost every day post v-beam I have had a major flush. My redness looks a little worse than before v-beam, its more patchy. BUT I can see that several thread veins are removed so I'm hoping this patchy redness is only temporary and due to the healing process. Another disturbing thing is that when I have a major flush, I also start to swell a little. This is completely new to me. There is also a lot more tingling and slight pain in my cheeks when flushing, this is also new. I can feel that I have a major flush, so now I know that I look like a swollen tomato even if I don't have a mirror (sigh).

I'm still hoping this is just temporary, and based on what I have read it will probably pass. I wanted to make this post anyways so people can have a clear view of what's potentially in store for them post v-beam. The stupid thing is that I am on a vacation now with nice weather and a strong sun. Because I did this v-beam thingy only 2 weeks before my vacation, I have to wear strong sunscreen and avoid the sun like the plague. That was not the plan indead, makes me regret even more...argh...

Default Totally normal

Dpart,
    Let me reassure you. Everything you are feeling is what I went through as well and it is totally normal.

When I had my first VBeam I was unprepared as well and was absolutely surprised (in a bad way) at how I looked afterwards. It took me a long time to get back to normal but I always do so don't despair. You will heal but it will take some time to get back to looking good.

I think no matter how much you read here it is still a shock because real life is different than reading about an experience. In any case, when I had my first VBeam I had no clue as to what to expect because my doctor said there would be little to no downtime. LOL Not sure what she considers to be downtime but being red and swollen for many days and then very red and patchy for many weeks seems like more than a little inconvenience.

Hang in there. You will heal with each day and hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon and you will be pleased with your results.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks Melissa for the reassuring words, I'm clinging to your words and hope your right. At the moment it looks not good at all, I look worse than ever. Flushing, burning and looking horribly red..ugh..

One of my cheeks are almost constantly swollen now, it starts suddenly often of no obvious reason, I can feel the heat building and the tingling starts and then it turns into intense burning, the skin is of course bright red and pretty swollen. Its painful to touch as well. It can go on for a whole day and sometimes more before it starts to fade down. After a day or so it's starts again. I am also constantly pink all over and have blotches of red skin everywhere. This is the worst my rosacea has been ever!

It has been 3 weeks now since my procedure. Is this constantly returning burning and swelling also normal? I have never had swelling before (but I have had some slight burning in that area before, but nowhere near so intense as this) so needless to say I'm extremely worried and very depressed now. My whole vacation is ruined as well. I'm hiding alone in hotel rooms, have trouble sleeping thinking why the hell did I do this. I'm regretting so bad now feeling so helpless, I don't know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by dpart View Post
    One of my cheeks are almost constantly swollen now, it starts suddenly often of no obvious reason, I can feel the heat building and the tingling starts and then it turns into intense burning, the skin is of course bright red and pretty swollen. Its painful to touch as well. It can go on for a whole day and sometimes more before it starts to fade down. After a day or so it's starts again. I am also constantly pink all over and have blotches of red skin everywhere. This is the worst my rosacea has been ever!

It has been 3 weeks now since my procedure. Is this constantly returning burning and swelling also normal? I have never had swelling before (but I have had some slight burning in that area before, but nowhere near so intense as this) so needless to say I'm extremely worried and very depressed now. My whole vacation is ruined as well. I'm hiding alone in hotel rooms, have trouble sleeping thinking why the hell did I do this. I'm regretting so bad now feeling so helpless, I don't know what to do
    some times after v beam u do fell awful flushing(burning etc)The facial swelling is called edema it can also be a side affect,Its a build up of fluids under the skin,The best thing to do is just wait and ride it out,Stressing doesn't help,Its hard not to but it just makes matters worse,Yes lasers can be dangerous care needs to be taken.Im so sorry to here your hiding away i truly do feel for u and do no the feeling,The burning will pass it usally subsides in week 4 or 5 the facial swelling may not dissipate,all the best

Im going to be blunt here(I'm sorry)

But with Evey medical procedure there can be faults,Its so sad people are not aware off this,

Quote Originally Posted by mattdog323 View Post
    Im going to be blunt here(I'm sorry)

But with Evey medical procedure there can be faults,Its so sad people are not aware off this,
    Yeah, especially dermatologist who has been practizing lasers for 20+ years telling you there is no dangers involved. If I had been truly informed of the dangers involved, and the possibility for permanent damage I would never have done this. I specifically asked about any possibilities for permanent damage or worsening of rosacea.

Am I some kind of freak case or do dermatologist operate in another world?

Hey d-part,

When I am just 3 weeks out from VBeam and I am still more sensitive and reactive also so know your reaction should calm down. When you flush the skin becomes swollen so that is normal too. I know it doesn't feel like part of the normal healing process but it most likely is so try and not get too aggravated and just give it some more time. Everyone is different but it does take me a long time as well to have my flushing and redness calm down after a procedure.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Dpart,

I so totally understand how you are feeling. We think we are bad and then we go through the laser and then think OMG i was never this bad why did i do this? I went through this with my last vbeam laser about 2 years ago. Honestly I dont think it was anythng wrong that the dr. did she was very careful it was just my skin that ended up reacting with a dent/wrinkle area. i also thought like you did why oh why. But we have to its the only way to try to get our skin to be better from the physical pain and emotional one.

It will get better. I remember flushing so much more after the last vbeam laser but it did improve after a month or so.

I just had my 1st IPL aobut 2 wks ago i was so totally scared since I've read good and bad things about this on this forum. But thankfully so far so good. I did flush a bit more for about 6 days then 7 and on i've been better less flushing. Im getting the next one 3 wks after on 12/3/09 but im still very scared just praying to God it goes well.

Good luck each day you will improve.

Alba
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Thanks for the continued support, I really appreciate it! I'm sorry for all the rambling, but its bugging my mind a lot and I don't have anybody else to talk to so you have to bear with me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dpart View Post
    Yeah, especially dermatologist who has been practizing lasers for 20+ years telling you there is no dangers involved. If I had been truly informed of the dangers involved, and the possibility for permanent damage I would never have done this. I specifically asked about any possibilities for permanent damage or worsening of rosacea.

Am I some kind of freak case or do dermatologist operate in another world?
    they operate in a diflunisal world,They dont give a hoot at all,