Thread: Dead sea salt question?:/

Default Dead sea salt question?:/

can anyone help me out, i need to know if anyone has ever reacted badly to dead sea salts? ive been using it for two days and my skin on my cheeks feels drier and the rash has flattened and is pretty red and cracked. the surrounding area feels irritated too. the area around my nose feels dry. is this common and will it get better with time or am i screwing myself yet again?

anyone?

I usually stay out discussions about sea salt, because who knows, it might work. But really, rubbing salt in the wound? It defies logic. I think it's an urban legend with no science to support it.

Salt removes the water from the skin, because you can see how salt sucks out water when you are grilling a steak. And like when I make bread, I damp the flour for a half hour before I add the salt because flour won't damp correctly with salt sucking out most of the water. Or just look at a salted dried fish if you want to see what salt does to hydration of fish skin.

And the pH of salt is all wrong for skin, as salt is super-alkaline, and skin is slightly acidic at a pH of 5.5.

If there's any truth to sea salt, it would that Dead Sea Salt is very high in magnesium, which is usually lacking in people with seb derm. Just take magnesium supplements, which is much more logical. I can't believe any kind of salt is a healthy topical.

You're probably right tom. how do these people with seb derm then benefit with it? :/ and the caption says its for itchy dry skin. my skin has become soft but the rash area is soooo dry and cracked.its also spreading to surrounding area. ive ordered every possible solution for this wretched disorder and i always get worse after treatment.
    im scared of ordering xylitol cause ive heard its pretty strong and since my skin is super sensitve im sure it wont work. im literally out of options!

Magnesium salts, the prevalent minerals in Dead Sea water, are known to exhibit favorable effects in inflammatory diseases. We examined the efficacy of bathing atopic subjects in a salt rich in magnesium chloride from deep layers of the Dead Sea (Mavena(R) Dermaline Mg(46) Dead Sea salt, Mavena AG, Belp , Switzerland ). Volunteers with atopic dry skin submerged one forearm for 15 min in a bath solution containing 5% Dead Sea salt. The second arm was submerged in tap water as control. Before the study and at weeks 1-6, transepidermal water loss (TEWL), skin hydration, skin roughness, and skin redness were determined. We found one subgroup with a normal and one subgroup with an elevated TEWL before the study.

Bathing in the Dead Sea salt solution significantly improved skin barrier function compared with the tap water-treated control forearm in the subgroup with elevated basal TEWL. Skin hydration was enhanced on the forearm treated with the Dead Sea salt in each group, which means the treatment moisturized the skin. Skin roughness and redness of the skin as a marker for inflammation were significantly reduced after bathing in the salt solution. This demonstrates that bathing in the salt solution was well tolerated, improved skin barrier function, enhanced stratum corneum hydration, and reduced skin roughness and inflammation.

does this make sense to you tom? i'd appreciate any input really

Dead sea salts do the same to me and are way too harsh. However, i do use epsom salts quite a lot and they work pretty well.

Tom - there is a fair few studies on dead sea salts and its effectiveness against Atopic eczema which is pretty similar to seb derm. This is probably why people have had success.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...nticated=false

Also my personal opinion is that many people on this forum or the internet who post a thread title such as "I CURED MY SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS WITH SUCH AND SUCH" actually have atopic dermatitis and have, or have developed, an allergy to a chemical in a product they are using and then by stopping use of that product and by using something such as, lets say honey, they no longer are being exposed to that allergen and their skin clears.

I am so tired of ordering these products online. they've bank rupted me literally!
    how are dead sea salts any different for epsom salts. from what ive heard epsom are harsher?

btw a little off topic but is it necessary for someone to react badly to topical honey if they're allergic to pollen and bees wax?