Thread: Perioral dermatitis please help

Default Perioral dermatitis please help

Hi everyone,

I've posted on here before but I wanted to consult the board members again for some advice and I just want to write this out to feel better.

I've been dealing with what was diagnosed as perioral dermatitis in spring 2011 and wasn't given antibiotics or antifungals for 5 months (before I switched derms). I went on minocycline for 9 months which helped the bumps but I still got cold sores, my chin and around my mouth was still rashy and itchy. I switched to oracea and was on that for about a year which helped calm things down slightly but my chin was still discolored. I've used finacea, metro cream, metro gel, promiseb, sulfur wash, pyrithione zine face wash, tea tree oil, seabuckthorn oil, ketoconazole, elidel, protopic... pretty much everything that can and is prescribed with mixed to no results.

Things have been calmish for a few months but my chin was always greasy and patchy. I'm currently on 200 mg of diflucan for about a week since my derm thought maybe it was fungal. My skin has been getting worse. the ring around my mouth is more pronounced, I have a couple small bumps that have crusted over and I'm so tired of this I can't even cry about it anymore.

Antibiotics don't work. antifungals don't work. I've tried non-sls, no fluoride, all natural, nothing, regular and nothing works. I've cut out wheat for months. nothing. I eat very healthy, lots of greens and vegetables, meats, brown rice, a lot of fish, and water with some green tea once a day.

I'm wondering what am I missing? I've been reading about gut issues, mites, parasites and i'm driving myself crazy with all these theories. does anyone have any advice?? I've been dealing with this now for over 3 years and now that things are getting worse and I'm far from home and my regular doctor I'm getting scared that I'm headed for a really, really bad pod breakout when I can't take off from work.

Please, any advice, anything would be helpful.
    I'm just so tired of this..

Hi and welcome to the club. I have written the exact same post as you have in the past along with others here. All I can tell you is the best results I get are from a combination of taking antibiotics and a low carb diet. Also take plenty of zinc,vitamin A and E daily. Its not a cure but its the best system that I have found to control it. POD comes in many forms but the one that we have is more like Rosacea only in a localised form.

Hi Rory, thanks for your quick reply.

What antibiotics do you take. Where is your pod centralized? mine is worst on my chin and just on the sides of my mouth.

How do you wash your face?

I have used so many different antibiotics. There is very little difference I find in any of them although I do like Azithromycin. Not because its any better in treatment outcome but I liked it because it doesnt cause photosensitivity. My POD is almost perfectly symmetric on both sides of the chin,mouth and the laugh lines between the nose and mouth corners. I only wash my face with water and a wash cloth. Face soaps or non soap cleansers,most every topical device didnt help and most even made it worse. But for me the addition of the diet and the vitamins really helped the antibiotics. Its not perfect but I can live with it until someone figures out whats really wrong with us.