Thread: Trying honey treatment for sebborrheic dermatitis

Default Trying honey treatment for sebborrheic dermatitis

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, but I've been reading posts here and everywhere else for a long time!
    I have seb derm. for about 2 years. It startet in my scalp, with a little bit of dandruff and what felt like soares in my scalp. Then about a year after it startet on both sides of my nose, red, dry skin and small pimple-looking red dots in a very specific pattern from each side of my nose, about 2cm down and 1cm wide. Then slowly it startet in my forehead as well. The thing is, for me it has never been extremely bad. It's been dry skid, redness but not very noticeable, and dandruff but because I have very long hair I can hide the soares and scales. Although, it got somewhat worse and harder to control with lotion, i just thought it was dry skin at the time. So I saw a dermatologist, and he said it was seb derm and gave me nizorale shampoo, pro topic cream and this fluid for my scalp to release the dandruff called diprosalic.

So I startet using it, and it worked! Especially the pro topic, totally cleared my face from one day to the other! And the fluid made the scales fall of and stay off as long as I used it. And that was the deal breaker for me. As soon as I stopped using these products my seb derm came back even worse! And in the "manuals" for them it says that side effects could be mild to severe acne and hairloss..

I'm a very sensitive person. A girl, quite pretty in many peoples eyes, and I've never really liked myself. The fact that I've always had clear and pretty skin and no need for make up, has pretty much made my life liveable.. So this seb derm is taking very hard on my self esteem!

Then i found the honey treatment, and it just sounds too good to be true! But i am trying it now I had my 3rd mask on yesterday. I cleanse with the honey twice daily and do the 3 hour mask every other day. The first few days i washed my face with both himmalayan salt and honey, and it reacted really nice. felt smooth like it hasnt done for sooo long! But then, after the 2nd mask my skin startet to get rough and extremely dry. I used the coconut oil for the first week also, but yesterday i decided to stop because it just didnt feel right. And then i read that coconut oil actually feeds the fungus that might cause seb derm. So i just use the honey. And today my skin was dryier than it has ever been! also my scalp, has way more dandruff than ever. the only thing better is that my skin isnt as red as before, and the small pimples are pretty much gone. so it looks better, exept it looks extremely dry. and now that i stopped with the oil i have no mosturizer!
    I reasearch and research but i just cant find anything anyone can agree upon! exept the honey treatment.. I need something natural, thats not an oil, that can mosturize my face after the honey washes and masks. I use organic tea tree oil shampoo and its really nice in my hair. I have very long hair, which makes it hard to apply the honey.. Takes time, but i try to get all around! sp today ive used locobase repair creme all over my face just to get rid of that tight dry feeling. It should be a good cream, no perfume og parabens and ive only found people saying that its as natural as can be for a clinical cream.

I really feel good about this somehow, even though it is making it worse right now. Its worse in a new way, like in a dying off kinda way as peple also say. Its very scaly, but the soares are reducing. So i will try and continue the treatment for the 4 weeks!

It is so hard to find anything about this topic anywhere! and i am very very curious about everyone elses experiences! Please share is this thread how the treatment has worked for you, i feel so alone in this world with his disease

Hope to hear from all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mushimushi View Post
    Hello everyone!

This is my first post, but I've been reading posts here and everywhere else for a long time!
    I have seb derm. for about 2 years. It startet in my scalp, with a little bit of dandruff and what felt like soares in my scalp. Then about a year after it startet on both sides of my nose, red, dry skin and small pimple-looking red dots in a very specific pattern from each side of my nose, about 2cm down and 1cm wide. Then slowly it startet in my forehead as well. The thing is, for me it has never been extremely bad. It's been dry skid, redness but not very noticeable, and dandruff but because I have very long hair I can hide the soares and scales. Although, it got somewhat worse and harder to control with lotion, i just thought it was dry skin at the time. So I saw a dermatologist, and he said it was seb derm and gave me nizorale shampoo, pro topic cream and this fluid for my scalp to release the dandruff called diprosalic.

So I startet using it, and it worked! Especially the pro topic, totally cleared my face from one day to the other! And the fluid made the scales fall of and stay off as long as I used it. And that was the deal breaker for me. As soon as I stopped using these products my seb derm came back even worse! And in the "manuals" for them it says that side effects could be mild to severe acne and hairloss..

I'm a very sensitive person. A girl, quite pretty in many peoples eyes, and I've never really liked myself. The fact that I've always had clear and pretty skin and no need for make up, has pretty much made my life liveable.. So this seb derm is taking very hard on my self esteem!

Then i found the honey treatment, and it just sounds too good to be true! But i am trying it now I had my 3rd mask on yesterday. I cleanse with the honey twice daily and do the 3 hour mask every other day. The first few days i washed my face with both himmalayan salt and honey, and it reacted really nice. felt smooth like it hasnt done for sooo long! But then, after the 2nd mask my skin startet to get rough and extremely dry. I used the coconut oil for the first week also, but yesterday i decided to stop because it just didnt feel right. And then i read that coconut oil actually feeds the fungus that might cause seb derm. So i just use the honey. And today my skin was dryier than it has ever been! also my scalp, has way more dandruff than ever. the only thing better is that my skin isnt as red as before, and the small pimples are pretty much gone. so it looks better, exept it looks extremely dry. and now that i stopped with the oil i have no mosturizer!
    I reasearch and research but i just cant find anything anyone can agree upon! exept the honey treatment.. I need something natural, thats not an oil, that can mosturize my face after the honey washes and masks. I use organic tea tree oil shampoo and its really nice in my hair. I have very long hair, which makes it hard to apply the honey.. Takes time, but i try to get all around! sp today ive used locobase repair creme all over my face just to get rid of that tight dry feeling. It should be a good cream, no perfume og parabens and ive only found people saying that its as natural as can be for a clinical cream.

I really feel good about this somehow, even though it is making it worse right now. Its worse in a new way, like in a dying off kinda way as peple also say. Its very scaly, but the soares are reducing. So i will try and continue the treatment for the 4 weeks!

It is so hard to find anything about this topic anywhere! and i am very very curious about everyone elses experiences! Please share is this thread how the treatment has worked for you, i feel so alone in this world with his disease

Hi Mushimushi. Fourth day of honey treatment today. So far so good and looks effective. I'm glad there is no downtime for me as auburn said it will worsen for the first week. I used hydrocortisone as maintenance on my seb derm before switching to this honey treatment. Before, if i missed the hydrocortisone maintenance for 4 or 5 days, redness and flakes start to return slowly. It's been a week already since I quit hydrocortisone and fortunately, there is no trace of rebound dermatitis. I'm doing the mask and cleansing treatment on my face and head & shoulders shampoo on my hair. I skipped the coconut oil by the way.

It is really frustrating, embarrassing and occasionally truly depressing if left uncontrolled. Hope your SB condition gets better. Godbless and take care!

thank you so much for your reply!

I had my 4th mask yesterday, and before i washed with himmalayan salt. afterwards it had a really nice, not as tight as usual feeling! And i applied a bit of the locobase repair, and today my face has been pretty clear from both redness and scales!

After i stopped using the coconut oil it has gottet way better! when i cleanse with salt and honey at night, its still a little rough, and dry, and a bit scaly - but they are completely white! in my scalp as well. they used to be dark red and deep soares, its now very superficial areas with big ****e scales, and underneath its clear. i wash once or twice daily with the salt and then the honey. the locobase repair has oleic acid in it so im trying to be very carefull.
    So I really need a moisturizer! Im thinking about aloe vera? but the times ive tried it, it just dried up my face completely, making it white with scales everywhere!

i think the fact that im now only using natural products is helping my optimism a lot! but i also think this might actually work! i really really really hope so! i also take omega 3 and 6 everyday, and try to eat only organic, and drink tons of water!

when did you get seb derm?

Default re

hello, just thought i'd throw in my two cents on sub-derm - I use "born to be mild" skin creme from dermadoctor...stuff seems to work pretty good...i just rub it on in the shower...cheers, dave

Never heard of it, but it sounds nice and if it works you're a very lucky man!!

Im sitting with my 5th mask on now, and its beginning to work! Yesterday i washed with salt and honey at night, and didnt put any locobase on it. And when i woke up, my face was actually clear! Except for a little area of dry skin on both sides of my jaws. no redness, flakyness, bumps or anything! I feel so releived! But trying not to get my hopes up to much, i've read a few posts from people saying it didnt work long term..

Im wondering, is anyone actually studying this disease? Like trying to find a cure? i live in denmark, and my dermatologist dont know anything about it. When i asked about if there was any experts, she said she was the closest thing..

Thank you both for reply and have a lovely evening/day/morning depending on where in the world you are!

wow cool! sounds like u are getting results from it! thanks for sharing here!

Never heard of it, but it sounds nice and if it works you're a very lucky man!!

Im sitting with my 5th mask on now, and its beginning to work! Yesterday i washed with salt and honey at night, and didnt put any locobase on it. And when i woke up, my face was actually clear! Except for a little area of dry skin on both sides of my jaws. no redness, flakyness, bumps or anything! I feel so releived! But trying not to get my hopes up to much, i've read a few posts from people saying it didnt work long term..

Im wondering, is anyone actually studying this disease? Like trying to find a cure? i live in denmark, and my dermatologist dont know anything about it. When i asked about if there was any experts, she said she was the closest thing..

Thank you both for reply and have a lovely evening/day/morning depending on where in the world you are!

Post RE:

Hello everyone!

Hi Mushimushi!

How are you? How is your sebderm condition? This is my second reply to your post. It's been two years since I started using raw honey treatment to keep my sebderm controlled. I 'm very thankful for this forum for having found out a natural treatment. I'm cleared with sebderm as long as keep the maintenance. Hope you had the same results upon trying the raw honey face mask treatment. Just want to share what routine worked for me. Work out at the gym twice or thrice a week, raw honey face mask treatment once to twice a week. Head and shoulders (green/menthol) shampoo for my hair. Lots of fluids/water. Less stress. Less unhealthy foods.