Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Success with pulsed dye laser (Cynergy and Vbeam Perfecta)

Default Success with pulsed dye laser (Cynergy and Vbeam Perfecta)

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and wanted to share my experience (both past and present) with pulsed dye lasers.

A quick intro: I'm nearly 19 years old, but noticed severe facial redness around the age of 14. I have been diagnosed with both rosacea and KPRF but I think it's rosacea, as it affects my cheeks, nose and forehead. I don't flush with alcohol/spicy food but I do with temperature change, stress and emotions. This caused me absolute misery during secondary school where everyone (even the kids in the lower school years) would constantly take the mick (I don't call it banter, it was pure bullying) - rosy McNosey was their favourite and add in the fact I was obese, yeah.. it was a depressing time. My cheeks in the winter would literally turn a beetroot colour. I left after my GCSEs and did my A levels at college before now working full time.

Let me just say I have tried almost every product available. I have tried going gluten free, dairy free, carb free etc. and this didn't work. I spent the 200 consultation fee (and the ridiculous 25 extra for cream) at Dr Newman's Veinwave clinic, and then the 395 for the actual veinwave treatment -- surprise surprise this didn't do anything. I am going to warn anyone NOT to use veinwave unless you have individual veins that need treating - Newman, Dr Finigan and the rest at that clinic are frauds (but that's my opinion).

It was in March 2012 that I went and saw a doctor at the Royal free hospital after looking into PDL. He was an extraordinary doctor and not once did I feel like I was being taken for a ride (in terms of promises/costs) - he said at the consultation that image-therapy might be a better option but I wanted to go ahead and do the laser (Cynosure Cynergy PDL). In total over nearly 2 years I had 4 bruising treatments and 1 non-bruising (200 a treatment). It helped that I was at college as I could use the holidays/half terms to take the 1-2 weeks needed for the bruising to go down.

The laser really did help (except the non-bruising which did nothing) and my facial redness was lessened. However, it was still red enough for me to be conscious and I still flush/react with temperature change in particular. To this day I can see the white circles where the laser worked. Since february this year I have focused a lot on changing my figure and have managed to lose 4 stone and am slowly toning up - even with my new body I realised that it was my face that was causing my self-conscious issues - I still can never walk by a mirror or reflective surface without looking and feeling like rubbish because of my face.

Sooo moving forward in time to the past couple of weeks; I have had a consultation for the Vbeam Perfecta AND a treatment yesterday. This was at the PHI clinic with a lovely member of staff called SK who really put me at ease (unlike a different clinic I went to a week before PHI that tried to sell me "cream" for 125..) -- just to note I chose to use the Vbeam Perfecta because of the reports that it can do the same results as the cynergy but without bruising, it had nothing to do with my old doctor and if I wasn't working I'd probably still use the cynergy and put up with the bruising.

Well what can I say? The treatment yesterday was quick, painless and thorough - the cool spray makes a remarkable difference and all of my face (even my nose which hasn't been done before with the laser) was treated, whilst my jaw bone which has always been a dark-red colour and resistant to the cynergy was stacked/bypassed. And I don't know if it's in my mind but today the once dark red skin looks the same colour as the rest of my cheeks. I know results aren't seen for a while but I am really feeling positive - I went for a bike ride yesterday and whilst I was hot my skin remained pink, whereas before it would go a dark red. Obviously it's difficult to comment on the effectiveness of the vbeam completely as I have had the 5 cynergy lasers before and maybe they are contributing to my overall results but I'd still recommend anyone to go for PDL! My brother has the same condition, went for 20 IPLs and it hasn't done anything, but he's now going to book in for the perfecta. FYI I was treated at 6 joules, whilst I never asked the joules for the cynergy, sorry.

I will keep you updated (have my 2nd treatment in 4 weeks) and will post some pics hopefully tomorrow showing before and after 5 cynergy/1 beam pics.

Wishing everyone all the best and stay strong while dealing with this horrible skin condition

Thanks so much for reading

Edit: I just want to add that in my experience PDL really does take time - you won't see results after 1/2 treatments - if you have that expectation you will just disappoint yourself - it took 4 treatment for me to finally think that it had done some good, and if I had carried on with the cynergy I would probably be redness free today. You need to invest the time and mental effort, and understand that sometimes it gets worse before it gets better - your skin is taking a pounding before it can heal itself.
    Last edited by DogVan; 5th August 2014 at 05:46 PM.

Good to hear!

Doesn't sound like KPRF if you don't flush with alcohol/spicy foods because everyone I've heard of with KPRF (myself included) do badly. Also the nose and fore head part. Definitely seems like rosacea. Do you have KP on your arms or no?

I've had 4 PDL on KPRF with little improvement.
    Last edited by username; 6th August 2014 at 04:53 AM.

forum 1.jpgforum 2.jpgbrusign.jpgIMG_6266.JPGforum 3.jpg

Attached are some pics : 2 show my face after roughly 2 PDL cynergy treatments - 1 shows my face 1 week post 3rd bruising session

The final 2 were my face yesterday, 1 day after Vbeam Perfecta treatment and a few stones lighter haha (6 joules setting).

I personally think there is a good reduction in baseline redness. I was not flushing in any of these pics. My face in the 2 cynergy pics was usually that beetroot colour all over before the laser, which as you can see left white circles where the laser had hit.

Edit: just to add username I do actually have KP all over my upper arms and back, and some bumps on my face. Just not sure if that contributes to the redness on my face.

ffff.jpgfff.jpgIMG_6289.JPG

Sorry - 3 more taken last night...
    Last edited by DogVan; 6th August 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DogVan View Post
    forum 1.jpgforum 2.jpgbrusign.jpgIMG_6266.JPGforum 3.jpg

Attached are some pics : 2 show my face after roughly 2 PDL cynergy treatments - 1 shows my face 1 week post 3rd bruising session

The final 2 were my face yesterday, 1 day after Vbeam Perfecta treatment and a few stones lighter haha (6 joules setting).

I personally think there is a good reduction in baseline redness. I was not flushing in any of these pics. My face in the 2 cynergy pics was usually that beetroot colour all over before the laser, which as you can see left white circles where the laser had hit.

Edit: just to add username I do actually have KP all over my upper arms and back, and some bumps on my face. Just not sure if that contributes to the redness on my face.
    This is the same problem I was left with . Why cant the laser rid all the redness . ?

Now Im stuck with the little white circles all around both jawlines .

Quote Originally Posted by davekelly View Post
    This is the same problem I was left with . Why cant the laser rid all the redness . ?

Now Im stuck with the little white circles all around both jawlines .
    I find this happens when there is bruising treatment. I can only guess this happens as it's such a focused laser and is meant to target individual vessels, so that literally any vessels around the area zapped just don't get destroyed. However whilst I still see some circles they are becoming less and less obvious - since the perfecta on Monday the circles on my forehead in particular have nearly disappeared as the vessels are nearly gone up there.

Looking on bright side, if you wear any cover up (eg. foundation) then it's easier to conceal the redness as you're just kind of filling in around the circles - but after my first couple the circles turned red when I flushed, luckily this doesn't happen anymore.
    Last edited by DogVan; 6th August 2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DogVan View Post
    I find this happens when there is bruising treatment. I can only guess this happens as it's such a focused laser and is meant to target individual vessels, so that literally any vessels around the area zapped just don't get destroyed. However whilst I still see some circles they are becoming less and less obvious - since the perfecta on Monday the circles on my forehead in particular have nearly disappeared as the vessels are nearly gone up there.

Looking on bright side, if you wear any cover up (eg. foundation) then it's easier to conceal the redness as you're just kind of filling in around the circles - but after my first couple the circles turned red when I flushed, luckily this doesn't happen anymore.
    Wow, so impressed with these results! You look sooo much better! You should hold your head up high and know you are kicking rosaceas ass x x x

Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    Wow, so impressed with these results! You look sooo much better! You should hold your head up high and know you are kicking rosaceas ass x x x
    Thanks so much again Ree

Update 4 days post vbeam: its been a bad couple of days, and my negative thoughts are creeping up again - my redness is all over the place due to flushing, but I was expecting this as the skin always takes 2-3 weeks to calm down after laser. I am trying to stay positive as when I don't flush I can see pink and creamy white skin but work has been very stressful this week (I don't even know why in particular..) and this in turn has caused the bad flushing. It also doesn't help that my insomnia is at a high right now, which affects both my mental health and flushing.

But despite all this I am so glad I have began vbeam and look forward to future treatments; I've always said this laser makes things worse before things get better. My bike is also back from repair so I'll be getting feel-good adrenaline kicks soon

This is 100% KRPF only, nope rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by poppe View Post
    This is 100% KRPF only, nope rosacea
    I agree with you 100% .

But basically the same symptoms [Red Face and Flushing] . So no difference really . And KRPF cant be cured either