Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here - subtype 1 rosacea, trialling Remeron and Clonidine under Dr Chu's care

Quote Originally Posted by davekelly View Post
    Its the only product I use on my face because I have to shave . ha ha

I use the Avene extremely gentle face wash . Ive been using it for about 18 years now . It doesn't dry my skin . So I don't need any moisturiser .

Eczema you have on your face . that's a spanner in the works .

The only supplement I do take is Organic Flax seed oil . very similar to Udos Oil .. omega 3,6.9 blend because. I don't eat much fish at all .

Your Face needs good fats .

Over all you seem to be heading in the right direction . Take care Im always here to chat
    Thanks davekelly. Totally agree re the good fats idea - as of today I've started quite a strict Paleo type diet which will incorporate lots of good fats - oily fish, lots of vegetables, olive/coconut oil etc. Will also take flaxseed oil supplements as well and see if that helps (fish oil seems to make me flush for some reason).

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    Reads like a classic case of how Rosacea first starts. Severe episodes of facial flushing out of the blue when you have rarely if at all flushed in your life before. I wonder how it first started with you, what you were doing when you had your first ever flareup..
    After years of flushing/flare-ups and facial swelling what helped me was 3 months with a very strict non processed food diet. More or less like Paleo but a bit easier. No bread, no food with refined sugar(i.e 90% of food available in supermarkets) no more than 50 carbs a day in total . The only natural food I cut out were potatoes, bananas and rice as they are packed with carbs. I also only drank water and nothing else for 3 months which I found helped greatly reduce flushing. It was basically impossible to put on weight eating like this so I eat huge amounts and was never hungry. After the first week I was surprised how easy it was. Now after those 3 months I can eat a wider range of foods and more carbs but the flushing has never been as severe.

The other important treatment and biggest surprise that helped me after years trying every medication was the sun. It sounds ridiculous and we hear horror stories about the sun and Rosacea, but I found staying out in the strong sun for a maximum of 7 minutes at a time for 4 times a day had a huge impact on reducing and getting rid of flushing. For 7 minutes I go out in the sun with no sun cream at 9am, 11am, 2pm and 4pm. So 28 minutes in total, not long enough to damage or burn my skin. After 3 months of doing that the flushing is gone.
    Interestingly on pubmed a new july 2014 medical journal on the cause of Rosacea states that people in the northern hemisphere develop a mechanism that overproduces the skins innate immune defence to make up for a lack of sun. That is what then leads them to become more susceptible to developing Rosacea. Getting more natural sun in a safe non dangerous way might switch that mechanism off. I am amazed at what 3 months of going in the sun for short periods has done to my flushing.
    Thanks for the reply Redtere - looking back I think I had the beginnings of the rosacea in Australia shortly before I left for England, when small pink patches starting appearing on my cheeks, forehead and eyelids - although I thought it was an allergic reaction or eczema (even though I'd never really had eczema on my face before).

I am going to give the diet thing a good try. Nothing to lose, right! (Well, except the sensory pleasure of eating chocolate and other sweet foods which is not to be discounted :-)) It's very encouraging to hear about other people's success and I'm very pleased for you that your flushing has reduced so much, so thanks for sharing this.

In terms of sunlight, that's very interesting - I'm generally pretty careful with the sun but do find my skin seems to do better when it's warmer and mildly humid/I get a little bit of sun on my body (maybe because this is good for the eczema and the eczema seems to flare my rosacea up - they egg each other on, so to speak).

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Thanks davekelly. Totally agree re the good fats idea - as of today I've started quite a strict Paleo type diet which will incorporate lots of good fats - oily fish, lots of vegetables, olive/coconut oil etc. Will also take flaxseed oil supplements as well and see if that helps (fish oil seems to make me flush for some reason).
    Same here when I used to take cod liver oil . Hopefully you will see a big improvement soon .

Hi Madhatter,
    My suggestion is strenghten your skin barrier A multivitamin for starter if you can handle them and you're not already taking any. To me it sounds as if you're having a mite allergy, even more so since you're allergic to dust mites and cat dander. It can get worse at night (heat, humidity, stress) so that's a hint. If you haven't tried something like tea tree oil to get rid of your own mites that would be the best way to start, simply adding a few drops to your facial cream and then increasing it.

Histamine rich food might contribute a lot, I've always been eating an anti histamine diet, but it seems as if I have to go even further. Since you do have pollen allergy that might worsen your symtoms during that season. What type/s of pollen are you allergic to?
    Are you aware of cross reactions to food while being allergic to pollen?

Best of luck!

Me too, I also react very badly to fish oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill View Post
    Hi Madhatter,
    My suggestion is strenghten your skin barrier A multivitamin for starter if you can handle them and you're not already taking any. To me it sounds as if you're having a mite allergy, even more so since you're allergic to dust mites and cat dander. It can get worse at night (heat, humidity, stress) so that's a hint. If you haven't tried something like tea tree oil to get rid of your own mites that would be the best way to start, simply adding a few drops to your facial cream and then increasing it.

Histamine rich food might contribute a lot, I've always been eating an anti histamine diet, but it seems as if I have to go even further. Since you do have pollen allergy that might worsen your symtoms during that season. What type/s of pollen are you allergic to?
    Are you aware of cross reactions to food while being allergic to pollen?

Best of luck!
    Hey Kill, thanks for your input! Yes I agree I need to strengthen my skin barrier - it is extremely sensitive at the moment and my flare ups are very random. I can go to bed with perfect skin and wake up a hot flaming mess. I've been taking various different OTC antihistamines (and have also tried natural ones like Quercetin) and doing things like washing my bedding frequently, using dust mite covers etc, getting a new pillows and mattress but none of this seems to make much of a difference. I'll do some reading on tea tree oil and other mite remedies on the forum - the only thing is I'm quite afraid to put it on my skin as it's so sensitive and reactive at the moment.

The type of pollen I am sensitive to is called Timothy Grass (it was a very specific test). The IgE test didn't show up any food allergies but I'm aware you can have food sensitivities without being strictly "allergic" - having said that, I haven't noticed any particular sensitivities (although alcohol and thermally hot foods seem to be a trigger, so I have cut out alcohol and try to let my food cool before eating). It is definitely worth experimenting with low histamine foods in my diet I think though.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Hey Kill, thanks for your input! Yes I agree I need to strengthen my skin barrier - it is extremely sensitive at the moment and my flare ups are very random. I can go to bed with perfect skin and wake up a hot flaming mess. I've been taking various different OTC antihistamines (and have also tried natural ones like Quercetin) and doing things like washing my bedding frequently, using dust mite covers etc, getting a new pillows and mattress but none of this seems to make much of a difference. I'll do some reading on tea tree oil and other mite remedies on the forum - the only thing is I'm quite afraid to put it on my skin as it's so sensitive and reactive at the moment.

The type of pollen I am sensitive to is called Timothy Grass (it was a very specific test). The IgE test didn't show up any food allergies but I'm aware you can have food sensitivities without being strictly "allergic" - having said that, I haven't noticed any particular sensitivities (although alcohol and thermally hot foods seem to be a trigger, so I have cut out alcohol and try to let my food cool before eating). It is definitely worth experimenting with low histamine foods in my diet I think though.

Thanks again!
    The only way you can do that my friend is to leave your face alone for a month ..

Put nothing near your face .Don't even wash your face . Take the best omega 3,6,9 blend you can get your hands on

I guarantee you will see a huge difference .

There was a thread here, I think, about someone with asthma that cut wheat and got rid of both rosacea and asthma. If you're going to cut grains it gets difficult to test for celiac disease afterwards. It includes all sorts of symptoms, not only the most common ones you read about, it can also be a silent celiac disease with no symptoms. However, since you then have to be strict about gluten it is nice to know.

Other allergies can also affect you at night time.

I would at least cut candy for a while since the sugar often derive from grass, no nutrients lost. I would eat less grass (grains, rice, corn), especially during pollen season. Food sensitivities can be severe even if they're usually not if measured by ambulance rides. They can cause inflammation in the colon. What I could find was that wheat, grains, tomato, peanut, peas, soy, onion, melon could be linked to grass pollen allergy. And shellfish, clam, oyster, snail to mite allergy.

Coconut is rich in histamine.

Since you do have asthma perhaps TTO isn't the best product. The strangest thing, after a while with TTO my skin wasn't dry anymore. Still, salt might be better?

Default Re: Treatment of subtype 1 rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by davekelly View Post
    Is there any chance of you putting up a photo of one side of your face . So I will know what Im dealing with here

Because subtype 1 Rosacea [Flushing] doesn't need any medication or creams. You just need to leave your face alone and do your best to avoid your triggers

heated rooms etc, No medication on earth will solve that one [heated room flushing] for you or anyone else .
    As a 30-year sufferer of Subtype 1, you MUST treat the symptoms with either tetracyclines or Laser treatment! Laser treatments done on a regular basis will help!

If you don't treat it, it WILL worsen, and you don't want that, believe me!https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ies/nowink.gif