Thread: Hi, new here guess I have rosacea and I have some questions

Default Hi, new here guess I have rosacea and I have some questions

Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a couple weeks because I was 'diagnosed' with rosacea and wanted to find out all I could. Here's my situation...

Around march of this year I started getting 'pimples' on my left cheek that wouldn't come to a head. I thought I had cystic acne because I started a new birth control pill to help with other, non skin related issues. I tried everything, even doing at home chemical peels to try and stop these bumps. I have some small red scars now from the picking and what not. Finally a few weeks ago, after a chemical peel and still all these bumps I had enough and went to my family doctor. Because of the redness that is normal post peel for awhile, she said rosacea and gave me finacea to use 2x a day. She also told me to see a derm ASAP. I thought maybe I had an infection, but she did not prescribe antibiotics. The finacea seemed to be working really well. I finally saw a derm yesterday and he barely even looked at my skin just said rosacea and prescribed me desonide 2x a day and keflex 500 mg 2x a day. I was surprised he was giving me a steroid but he says I look a bit pink and this regimen will calm it down and then after 3 weeks I will use finacea as maintenance. I'm not sure what to do, I've read on here that desonide is bad for the skin. I don't know what it will do to me. Right now I have a have some scars left over from the other pimples that finacea cleared up but no pustule type bumps like before. This is day 2 of the steroid cream and keflex. This cram makes my already oily skin more oily. All the reading I did about it yesterday says it's for dry, itchy skin. Why did he prescribe it? I'm lost if this is the right treatment..

Default re

wow i'd be very careful with steroids for rosacea...not very good anecdotal evidence on here with that stuff...ask your derm about oracea if you haven't yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Hayleycakes View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a couple weeks because I was 'diagnosed' with rosacea and wanted to find out all I could. Here's my situation...

Around march of this year I started getting 'pimples' on my left cheek that wouldn't come to a head. I thought I had cystic acne because I started a new birth control pill to help with other, non skin related issues. I tried everything, even doing at home chemical peels to try and stop these bumps. I have some small red scars now from the picking and what not. Finally a few weeks ago, after a chemical peel and still all these bumps I had enough and went to my family doctor. Because of the redness that is normal post peel for awhile, she said rosacea and gave me finacea to use 2x a day. She also told me to see a derm ASAP. I thought maybe I had an infection, but she did not prescribe antibiotics. The finacea seemed to be working really well. I finally saw a derm yesterday and he barely even looked at my skin just said rosacea and prescribed me desonide 2x a day and keflex 500 mg 2x a day. I was surprised he was giving me a steroid but he says I look a bit pink and this regimen will calm it down and then after 3 weeks I will use finacea as maintenance. I'm not sure what to do, I've read on here that desonide is bad for the skin. I don't know what it will do to me. Right now I have a have some scars left over from the other pimples that finacea cleared up but no pustule type bumps like before. This is day 2 of the steroid cream and keflex. This cram makes my already oily skin more oily. All the reading I did about it yesterday says it's for dry, itchy skin. Why did he prescribe it? I'm lost if this is the right treatment..
    Hi Haleycakes, if the finacea was working I don't know why the dermatologist would prescribe a steriod cream and antibiotics, I've never understood derms or had any luck with them. Be very careful of steriod cream, results are good in the beginning but rebound effects can be harsh and leave the skin worse than before. I wouldn't use any form of antibiotics again either unless my life depended on it, done me know good. Don't mean to scare you with what I said but just things to consider. Diet changes, drinking water, few supplements (D3, Vitamin C, Zinc & Selenium, Grape Seed) and a gentle approach on the skin works best for me. Take care