Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone recovered from Mirvaso?

Default Has anyone recovered from Mirvaso?

I hate to post another thread on the drug but I am desperate. I've been reading a ton on the product and the reactions people have been having but nothing is working for me.

Here's what happened: I have very mild rosacea (or at least I used to). It consisted of a constant pink color on the apples of my cheeks and visible capillaries around my nose - never a flusher, no known triggers including spicy food and alcohol - just a consistent pinkness.

My derm gave me a sample of Mirvaso. I tried it once and it seemed fine. A few weeks later I tried it and the next day my cheeks were bright red. I only put it on my cheeks and around my nose. I used it very sparingly (I would say a quarter of a pea size). I used it for a total of three days in a row as it was my sister's wedding weekend, and I didn't want to look like a clown. On the fourth day, I woke up with a low-grade fever, a hot inflamed ear and a blotchy rash along my jaw line down my neck. I went to my derm who said it was the Mirvaso and stop using it. She gave me Oracea, 1% hydrocortisone and Xyzal. I did this for two weeks but I was still pretty pink and really swollen. I went back to my derm who instructed me it might be my eczema and to use vaseline. When I used the vaseline I was supposed to rub it in my hands and blot on. When I followed her instructions I woke up the next day and it was worse - Bright red, hot and spots all over. I again went back to my derm who then gave me aleve (500 mg 2x/day), prednisone, minocycline (100mg 2x/day) - changed to clarithromyocin (250mg 2x/day) because I couldn't stomach the minocycline, and clonidine (0.025mg at night).

None of this has worked. I'm using cool milk compresses and only washing with water and applying avocado oil because my eczema will get red and itchy if I do not. This is going on 7 weeks. I've had blood work done and seen a group of derms who are baffled that I've had such an adverse reaction. Next week I see an immunologist to see if he can think of anything.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who had a similar reaction or is still dealing with the repercussions of using mirvaso? Any help/advice is much appreciated. My concern now is that I've done permanent damage as I'm having severe flushing at night and my skin is still really swollen.
    Thank you so very much!

The general consensus is that you go back to your baseline after a few weeks of using Mirvaso. However, you are continuing to use more products on your skin. Sometimes it is best to do nothing for a few days and let your skin heal on its own. Just put cool water on your skin and let it heal for a few days. See if this improves your skin.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by kboysen View Post
    I hate to post another thread on the drug but I am desperate. I've been reading a ton on the product and the reactions people have been having but nothing is working for me.

Here's what happened: I have very mild rosacea (or at least I used to). It consisted of a constant pink color on the apples of my cheeks and visible capillaries around my nose - never a flusher, no known triggers including spicy food and alcohol - just a consistent pinkness.

My derm gave me a sample of Mirvaso. I tried it once and it seemed fine. A few weeks later I tried it and the next day my cheeks were bright red. I only put it on my cheeks and around my nose. I used it very sparingly (I would say a quarter of a pea size). I used it for a total of three days in a row as it was my sister's wedding weekend, and I didn't want to look like a clown. On the fourth day, I woke up with a low-grade fever, a hot inflamed ear and a blotchy rash along my jaw line down my neck. I went to my derm who said it was the Mirvaso and stop using it. She gave me Oracea, 1% hydrocortisone and Xyzal. I did this for two weeks but I was still pretty pink and really swollen. I went back to my derm who instructed me it might be my eczema and to use vaseline. When I used the vaseline I was supposed to rub it in my hands and blot on. When I followed her instructions I woke up the next day and it was worse - Bright red, hot and spots all over. I again went back to my derm who then gave me aleve (500 mg 2x/day), prednisone, minocycline (100mg 2x/day) - changed to clarithromyocin (250mg 2x/day) because I couldn't stomach the minocycline, and clonidine (0.025mg at night).

None of this has worked. I'm using cool milk compresses and only washing with water and applying avocado oil because my eczema will get red and itchy if I do not. This is going on 7 weeks. I've had blood work done and seen a group of derms who are baffled that I've had such an adverse reaction. Next week I see an immunologist to see if he can think of anything.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who had a similar reaction or is still dealing with the repercussions of using mirvaso? Any help/advice is much appreciated. My concern now is that I've done permanent damage as I'm having severe flushing at night and my skin is still really swollen.
    Thank you so very much!
    I did get the rebound redness with flushing(which i didn't have previously) from Mirvaso as well, it lasted about 3 days but subsided and my skin recovered. Like you my redness was not bad. Mirvaso caused all kinds of trouble - this is not a product for me!

I did decide to have a vbeam that sent my skin into the same reactive state your skin seems to be in now (flushing, heat, hot, sensitive)....I just wonder if our skin reacted really badly to the stimuli - I was prescribed clonodine too for the flushing which has helped but not completely. So frustrating and depressing. My rosacea has gone from mild to the next stage with flushing and more redness now. so very depressing. I wish i had left things alone.
    Last edited by mastro; 18th May 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Default Update

Hi - Thanks for the replies!

I, too, Mastro, wish I would've left my skin alone. I'm sorry you are having the same troubles. I became hypersensitive after my vbeam as well. I think the best thing to do is be extremely gentle - Thanks Brady! I have only been using water (barely once a day) and cool gel packs. This seems to have helped some. I hope that it continues to get better. I'll keep everyone posted.

Just another update - I'm having side effects from the clonidine so I've asked my derm to give me something else as it wasn't really helping anyways. My face is constantly hot and burning. Also I now have visible capillaries on my cheeks, which I never had before. The act of eating causes me to have flushing, which is new as well.

I'm hoping time will allow for healing but at this point things are not any better then they were two months ago. I've also emailed Dr. Jacob Levitt who was the primary author on a paper discussing adverse reactions to Mirvaso. He said most of his patients resolved in a day or two but has received correspondence from a doctor in Chile with a persistent reaction. So it seems there are others with a long term reaction.

I'm going to continue to just wash with water and leave it be and hope with time, it gets better.

Thanks for listening.

Hope this helps: for a few weeks now I use Avene thermal water spray.
    Buy on amazon. Wow. Incredible how it brings down a flare and
    Soothes my skin. I spray it on many times a day for sting/ burn
    Relief. I did not try mirvaso. I flush, get red and very uncomfortable.
    Hope this helps. Birdie

Thanks Birdie!
    I'll give it a try and it is just water so it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by kboysen View Post
    Just another update - I'm having side effects from the clonidine so I've asked my derm to give me something else as it wasn't really helping anyways. My face is constantly hot and burning. Also I now have visible capillaries on my cheeks, which I never had before. The act of eating causes me to have flushing, which is new as well.

I'm hoping time will allow for healing but at this point things are not any better then they were two months ago. I've also emailed Dr. Jacob Levitt who was the primary author on a paper discussing adverse reactions to Mirvaso. He said most of his patients resolved in a day or two but has received correspondence from a doctor in Chile with a persistent reaction. So it seems there are others with a long term reaction.

I'm going to continue to just wash with water and leave it be and hope with time, it gets better.

Thanks for listening.
    hi,can you tell me what the side effects from the clonidine are?

Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    hi,can you tell me what the side effects from the clonidine are?
    Hi red devil - I only took clonidine at night and I tried various dosages to build up a tolerance (0.025mg and 0.05mg). In the morning, I would feel very dizzy and slow. It almost felt as if I was tranquilized. I called my derm and he told me to stop taking it as dizziness is a sign that your blood pressure is too low. I already have low blood pressure so I think that was a factor. I was lucky in that I hadn't taken it too long so I didn't have to taper off of it.

Are you thinking of trying it?

hi,i've been using it for the past three weeks but have stopped taking it as it isn't doing anything for my flushing.