Thread: help with ocular rosacea

Default help with ocular rosacea

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how best to treat ocular rosacea. I have had rosacea for ten years now, but it is only about the last twelve months that i have started to have real problems with my eyes. They are sore all the time and inflamed, and they are always watering. I am currently on tetracycline and am trying my best with lid hygiene, cleaning morning and night, but this seems to be to no avail. Any advice anyone can give me on effective eyedrops or routines would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks again.

Have you seen the tea tree oil treatments? If you google for it, there are several different links for review. I can't do it "full on" myself, like the eyedocs do it, because I'm worried I'd blind myself. But I occasionally do a gentle 50/50 brush on my lower lashes. I find this to be the most helpful. FWIW, there is also a tea tree oil pad, called Cleridex.

As for more traditional treatments, I have heard restasis is helpful. I use systane restorative drops, which is over the counter and that helps some.

But yeah, I think the standard lid scrubs are almost useless. I guess the doctors want to be able to feel like they are at least giving us something.

Quote Originally Posted by burner View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how best to treat ocular rosacea. I have had rosacea for ten years now, but it is only about the last twelve months that i have started to have real problems with my eyes. They are sore all the time and inflamed, and they are always watering. I am currently on tetracycline and am trying my best with lid hygiene, cleaning morning and night, but this seems to be to no avail. Any advice anyone can give me on effective eyedrops or routines would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks again.
    Hi burner. The lid scrubs worked for a very short time. I'm using a modified version of
    Auburn's honey mask method for seb derm. I have rosacea, ocular rosacea and seb
    Derm. I put about 1/8 th of teaspoon of manuka honey on cotton pad, then dunk it
    Into a small Dixie cup filled with distilled water. Gently rub it back and forth on each
    Eyelid but making sure I get eyelids soaked. Then I rinse with distilled water on another
    Cotton pad. Doing this every day is too irritating and will make my eyes puffy and lids
    Red. Twice a week, sometimes three. In 2 months my blepharitis is gone, eyes are no
    Longer red, white gunk gone at outer corners of eyes. Also, the prescription I was given
    For restasis is unopened. My eyes are more moist again. Hope this helps. Birdie

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Have you seen the tea tree oil treatments? If you google for it, there are several different links for review. I can't do it "full on" myself, like the eyedocs do it, because I'm worried I'd blind myself. But I occasionally do a gentle 50/50 brush on my lower lashes. I find this to be the most helpful. FWIW, there is also a tea tree oil pad, called Cleridex.

As for more traditional treatments, I have heard restasis is helpful. I use systane restorative drops, which is over the counter and that helps some.

But yeah, I think the standard lid scrubs are almost useless. I guess the doctors want to be able to feel like they are at least giving us something.
    Hi Snoopy,

Thankyou for replying, i will check out the tea tree oil treatments and restoratve eye drops you suggested as i havent tried them yet. I hope you are not suffering too much, i know how difficult it can be. It is good to know there are people out there like yourself who understand how tough this condition can be to manage. Thanks again and all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Hi burner. The lid scrubs worked for a very short time. I'm using a modified version of
    Auburn's honey mask method for seb derm. I have rosacea, ocular rosacea and seb
    Derm. I put about 1/8 th of teaspoon of manuka honey on cotton pad, then dunk it
    Into a small Dixie cup filled with distilled water. Gently rub it back and forth on each
    Eyelid but making sure I get eyelids soaked. Then I rinse with distilled water on another
    Cotton pad. Doing this every day is too irritating and will make my eyes puffy and lids
    Red. Twice a week, sometimes three. In 2 months my blepharitis is gone, eyes are no
    Longer red, white gunk gone at outer corners of eyes. Also, the prescription I was given
    For restasis is unopened. My eyes are more moist again. Hope this helps. Birdie
    Hi birdie,

Thanks for your advice. I am pleased that you have managed to control your condition, it gives people like me a little bit of hope. I am struggling a little bit at the moment so any advice i receive is really helpful. Thanks again for replying and all the best.

Default re

i had the same...oracea cleared it right up...ultimately (in my opinion) anyways, the inflammation needs to be eradicated from the body internally...and oracea helps with that. cheers, dave

Quote Originally Posted by burner View Post
    Hi everyone,

I use fusidic acid eye droplets. It represses the redness within 2 to 3 days.