Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating A Whole Year of Being Rosacea Free

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Hi Scot,
    I am on my way to try this, have gotten most of the ingredients (missing Amaranth and Quinoa) I think I can find Quinoa in my grocery store but thinking of replacing Amaranth with Buckwheat which is also a pseudo cereal, will this ruin the whole thing?

You say your diet is NOT gluten free, what contains gluten in your recipies?

I am also thinking of making my own mix of Pea, Hemp, Rice with Chia Seed protein powder by buying the four individually, for economical reasons (The Life Basics 20 oz consts $60 here...), should this work?

I think the idea here is to avoid things that are not good and that your recipe is a way to still get all the necessary food needed and to be in high energy.

Vitacost is not an alternative for me as I live in Sweden and prefer to have things delivered closeby.

Thanks in advance

Tomas
    Hey Tomas, Yes - all your points make absolute sense. My ancestry is from Gavleborg, Sweden. I inherited my skin, hair and blood type from my Swede ancestors. The FAOSTAT World Food Database shows that Sweden consumes about 1/10th the amount of wheat that Italy does, as an example; or 1/8th the amount of Germany - and that is even today. Our genetics culturally have not traditionally consumed as much wheat as a percentage of diet, as do many of the Western Cultures since 1910 and the introduction of large scale post harvest handling machinery. Fossil fuel powered machinery is a requirement to make wheat a large percentage of the human diet.

First yes - Buckwheat is a pseudo-cereal, but it produces issues with certain people - I am unfamiliar with those issues so I stay away from it. But it is not a cereal, and if Buckwheat works for you - it is an excellent substitute for Amaranth as far as I know. The mix of pseudo-cereals is a mix which provides a full array of fats (hemp), carbs, (amaranth) and protein (chia).

Gluten is contained in the following - but at the ~10% level of Glutelin and Prolamin, so it is low.

Rice
    Quinoa
    Amaranth

This as opposed to Wheat and Corn which have been up-bred since 1900 to boost the Gluten content, and now are at the 40 - 55 % content of Gliadin and Zein respectively, which are heavy Glutelin and Prolamin containing Glutens. All prolamins and glutelins are, are the plastics and the glue which bind together the structure of the plant. The body tries to crack these substances free from the nutritious proteins, IF IT CAN....

Yeah not here to push VitaCost or brands by any means. But if you can assemble these foods (you do not have to buy the protein capsule supplements, as we discussed) - then - at least for me - this does the trick.

But you have to remember to exclude: Wheat, Dairy, Corn, Canola Oil, Soy, Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Proteins, Corn Sugar, Whey and Alfalfa.

Last edited by Scot Viking; 10th May 2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Viking View Post
    Hey Tomas, Yes - all your points make absolute sense. My ancestry is from Gavleborg, Sweden. I inherited my skin, hair and blood type from my Swede ancestors. The FAOSTAT World Food Database shows that Sweden consumes about 1/10th the amount of wheat that Italy does, as an example; or 1/8th the amount of Germany - and that is even today. Our genetics culturally have not traditionally consumed as much wheat as a percentage of diet, as do many of the Western Cultures since 1910 and the introduction of large scale post harvest handling machinery. Fossil fuel powered machinery is a requirement to make wheat a large percentage of the human diet.

First yes - Buckwheat is a pseudo-cereal, but it produces issues with certain people - I am unfamiliar with those issues so I stay away from it. But it is not a cereal, and if Buckwheat works for you - it is an excellent substitute for Amaranth as far as I know. The mix of pseudo-cereals is a mix which provides a full array of fats (hemp), carbs, (amaranth) and protein (chia).

Gluten is contained in the following - but at the ~10% level of Glutelin and Prolamin, so it is low.

Rice
    Quinoa
    Amaranth

This as opposed to Wheat and Corn which have been up-bred since 1900 to boost the Gluten content, and now are at the 40 - 55 % content of Gliadin and Zein respectively, which are heavy Glutelin and Prolamin containing Glutens. All prolamins and glutelins are, are the plastics and the glue which bind together the structure of the plant. The body tries to crack these substances free from the nutritious proteins, IF IT CAN....

Yeah not here to push VitaCost or brands by any means. But if you can assemble these foods (you do not have to buy the protein capsule supplements, as we discussed) - then - at least for me - this does the trick.

But you have to remember to exclude: Wheat, Dairy, Corn, Canola Oil, Soy, Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Proteins, Corn Sugar, Whey and Alfalfa.

Thanks for your answer, the rice in the protein powder is said to be gluten free as is the rice cakes (at least the ones i eat ), Quinoa too is said to be gluten free. Well, that leaves amaranth which I can not obtain. I want to make sure to also stay away from gluten as I want to try this as an elimination diet.

The only thing that I am a bit worried about is rice that I tend to avoid when eating as my stomach gets a bit bubbly

I wasnt implying that you are pushing VitaCost, it would be really convenient to have such a supplier, fortunately most of the pseudo grains can be bought in my regular food store.

Thanks from a fellow Swede from Stockholm

Sure nat,

Photos at the start of my regimen in Feb 2013. It actually was much worse than this over the winter after I quit my doxycycline. In these pics you can see simply the redness and pustules, but all of these erupted, bled, scabbed over and then sat as red scars for weeks.

I wish I had photos to show the worst, but at that time I refused to get in front of a camera.

Bottom is photo now at my desk in my studio.

Thanks For some reason I can now see the pics and before not. Wow your skin really improved a lot since those days. Well done and thanks for sharing your diet regime here. I also feel that staying clear from gluten, sugar and soy and corn helps me keep my skin more in check.

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    Thanks For some reason I can now see the pics and before not. Wow your skin really improved a lot since those days. Well done and thanks for sharing your diet regime here. I also feel that staying clear from gluten, sugar and soy and corn helps me keep my skin more in check.
    Ahhh, I see - so you never even saw the pic in the original posting. Disregard my PM then.

Glad you could pull this down. Yes, it was even worse than this. Thankfully doxycycline was at least 85% effective (based on sore counts). But yes, it got much worse than this.

Thanks nat...

Cheers Scot.

I've been having natural peanut butter lately (just peanuts) and think it's played a big part in my latest break out across my nose.
    I went to have hummus (processed) this morning on gluten free toast instead of peanut butter, then I read that it contains maize thickener, so I had strawberry jam instead.
    I used to eat processed peanut butter a couple of years ago, as well as taking whey protein powder, eating baked beans (maize thickener)/dairy/wheat daily -> so many bumps.

I'm so determined to get my diet right, especially after reading this thread

Red face Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Hi Scot Viking,

Thank you for sharing the results of your extensive research.
    I would like to incorporate your suggestions. I am worried, however, that my stomach will not tolerate it. I have IBS (embarrassing to admit!), and have a very finicky stomach. I cannot even eat a salad or more than a handful of other veggies/roughage....and certainly not for multiple days in a row.
    Do you think that your regimen might be too much for a sensitive stomach like mine?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
    Hi Scot Viking,

Thank you for sharing the results of your extensive research.
    I would like to incorporate your suggestions. I am worried, however, that my stomach will not tolerate it. I have IBS (embarrassing to admit!), and have a very finicky stomach. I cannot even eat a salad or more than a handful of other veggies/roughage....and certainly not for multiple days in a row.
    Do you think that your regimen might be too much for a sensitive stomach like mine?

Thank you!
    Thanks Islandgal, and I see that this is your first post? Welcome!!

Well, for me, and I have IBS as well, I get an inflamed ilium and inflamed sigmoid colon, simultaneously, and at the same time as getting rosacea. Doxycycline, when I was using it, interestingly was effective against both this colon pain, and my rosacea. This set of observations, and the below solution, worked for me. The colon is inflamed from the offending foods: wheat, dairy, corn, canola oil, soy and all the derivative products. HOWEVER, just because roughage causes you to feel the inflammation does not mean that it has CAUSED the inflammation. The inflammation is already there. Psyllium and apples and prunes and walnuts and almonds provide a LOT of bulk - and I find that when those foods pass through my sigmoid colon and ilium, when inflamed - they hurt. But that does not mean that the prunes, apples, nuts and psyllium have caused the problem. At least for me, thankfully.... and gosh it scared me, at least for me - they did not turn out to be the problem.

But there are several forms of IBS - and I am not sure that of course, we have the same issue. But for me, when I had the sigmoid colon pain I did begin to undertake a couple actions:

• Ensure that I buy "ground" and "flour" versions of each pseudo-cereal as this not only helps in digestion, but seems to avert the sigmoid colon pain - as perhaps it is the 'seed' form which causes some trouble for me (what I did during the first 4 months when I had my pain).
    • alternate days when using psyllium or use it only when bowel movements are slower than 2 per day, drink at least 12 ounces of water with it, and limit it to 1 tsp, later in the day, in combination with other foods which were not apples, prunes, walnuts, etc.
    • Turmeric - reduces inflammation
    • Everyone says coffee is a no-no, but I have found that coffee is both an anti-histamine, has a reduction effect towards diabetes (and this is not a coincidence), AND causes the large intestine to flush water through the transverse colon and stimulate the movement of the bowel and keep your colon clean

Sadly, I have only had time to assess the net impacts and particular bent of my own IBS.... and I empathize with you on the distress and pain. Totally.

Last edited by Scot Viking; 11th May 2014 at 04:21 PM.

Default A Word About Embarrassment

But as far as shame or embarrassment,

NO, for me (and perhaps this is just the way I am) I am not abashed on these subjects at all. For several reasons.

1. People are suffering

2. The triad of ignorance:
    Old Wives Tales from the 1800's,
    The Money to Be Made from Symptom Treatments, and the
    Shame Blame and Game scenario have gone on for too long.

3. We are not weird, our bodies are not "TRIGGERED" like we are some kind of lunatic teetering on the precipice of being sent into a form of sub-human Werewolf or Hulk. This food damages EVERYONE, they just do not know it. We are fortunate in that our body offers a warning flag.

4. The food industry refused to complete, refuses to continue and blocks science in and around these foods - They Simply Do Not Care. Saving 2 cents a bushel on productivity allowed them to create a monopoly. You are weird, they do not have to construct their productivity savings to accommodate weird people.

This all has to change. And throughout my life, I have always sought to change paradigms when people are suffering from institutional ignorance.

Last edited by Scot Viking; 11th May 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Thanks for your answer, the rice in the protein powder is said to be gluten free as is the rice cakes (at least the ones i eat ), Quinoa too is said to be gluten free. Well, that leaves amaranth which I can not obtain. I want to make sure to also stay away from gluten as I want to try this as an elimination diet.

The only thing that I am a bit worried about is rice that I tend to avoid when eating as my stomach gets a bit bubbly

I wasnt implying that you are pushing VitaCost, it would be really convenient to have such a supplier, fortunately most of the pseudo grains can be bought in my regular food store.

Thanks from a fellow Swede from Stockholm
    Bumping this post and adding a question:

What is the rationale for taking half of the "shake" before lunch? Isn't it better to take it around 2 PM to reduce the afternoon cravings, provided that the lunch is good?

My conclusion was that this disease is an auto-immune disorder where the body is struggling with foods that have been moved in genetic distance too far in too short a time (well beyond historical or evolutionary precedent), and have had immune response inducing factors introduced into the genetics of the food from which the body suffers.
    In plain English, you are anti genetically modified food. Nah! I don't buy in to that.