Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Please share your successful Rosacea skincare routine with me.

Default Help! Please share your successful Rosacea skincare routine with me.

Hi, I haven't made many posts. Mostly I've been reading as much as I can to find out what options are available to me that might work. So, I have subtype 2 Rosacea. I've been diagnosed for years but when I originally tried to treat it back in 2012, I found the products my derm gave me to be intolerable. I tried Metrogel and some version of sulfacetamide/sulfur wash. I also tried doxycycline. I have combo/oily skin and the Metrogel sucked my skin dry and made it feel awful. My hair started falling out after I started the doxy, which could be coincidence and due to some other factor, but it also really messed up my stomach so I stopped taking it pretty quickly. Sadly, that derm told me there was nothing else I could do for my Rosacea. I know better now, partly due to these forums, and so I tried another derm earlier this year.

I'm trying both generic Avar wash (Rx) and Finacea (sample). The Avar says to use once daily. She didn't give me any directions for the Finacea. So I've been using the Finacea in the morning and the Avar wash at night. My face has started to feel a bit dried out, but not as bad as Metrogel did, and so far it's tolerable. But here's the rub. I am 35 and due to my oily skin, I've never used moisturizer. My skin reacts so badly to most products that I've only worn makeup a few times in my life because everything clogs my pores. I was also a smoker for a number of years and this did a lot of damage to my face and hands. So now I'm covered with fine lines and my facial skin looks at least ten years older than it should. I'd really like to find a moisturizer that I can tolerate that won't break me out. I'd prefer something with spf during the day. I've been searching the forums for people's experiences with various products, but I've not had enough time to search through hundreds of posts to find some real meat about people's experiences beyond statements like "I use X product".

Right now, this is what I'm doing:

AM:

Wash with Cetaphil (usually twice to actually feel clean)
    Apply Finacea
    Apply Cetaphil lotion

PM:

Wash with Cetaphil (again, twice)
    Wash with Avar
    Apply Cetaphil lotion

I was doing great before I started using the Cetaphil lotion. But, true to form, the Cetaphil lotion is causing me to break out on my forehead, and a tiny bit on my inner cheeks. I really really need a moisturizer that won't break me out. I've read a few people say they use Kate Somerville or LaRoche-Posay, etc, but I'm afraid to spend $40-$80 on products that I can't use, especially as I struggle to justify the money I'm already spending on prescription products (I ordered more Finacea from Australia since I really can't afford how much my pharmacy wants.

In all honesty, I guess I'm just hoping some others with oily/finicky/sensitive skin can tell me what products to absolutely avoid and give suggestions for what to try next. Also, is there anything besides Mivaso (or green makeup) that helps with overall redness and flushing? I've read such bad reviews of it that I don't think I'm willing to try it.

Help? Either with suggestions, or share what works for you, especially if you have oily, acne-prone skin. Please? I'm kind of paralyzed here with what to try next.

Attached are a couple of pics of what my face looks like right now. Also, I've never really had a skincare routine before so all of this is new and a little overwhelming.
    Attached Images

Hi

Your Derm is an idiot if he / she says there isn't much can be done for your rosacea. Try and find another one who is prepared to work with you to find the most effective treatment for your particular case, as it can often be a case of trial and error in the initial stages.

With skin care less is often better and found Clinique mild soap worked for me followed by Aloe Vera gel - I use the one made by Lee Pharmaceuticals in California but always do a patch test first just to ensure it suits your skin.

Rosacea is very much treatable but be patient as it an take time to find out what is best for you.

Good luck

Peter

Thanks, Peter, for the reply. The old derm is long out of the picture. Unfortunately the new derm is also out of the picture as I don't have a lot of money, she prescribed medications that my insurance doesn't cover that are hundreds of dollars (I'm disabled and dual eligible medicare/medicaid and Part D doesn't cover prescriptions for "cosmetic" issues like acne and Rosacea), and she would only give me one sample of each thing which is not enough to decide if I want to borrow a couple hundred bucks from my mom to try something that has a decent potential of not working or making things worse. It isn't that I don't want to spend the money to try things, It's that I don't have that kind of money to spend if I want to live indoors. Also, I don't think the new derm was really all that up to date on Rosacea. She seemed kind of confused when she looked at my face as if she just didn't understand my symptoms. I am looking for a new derm that accepts medicare/medicaid and is actually up-to-date with Rosacea treatments. Until then, I'm hoping that somebody who deals with the specific issues I mentioned will chime in and offer what worked for them. I've spent dozens of hours reading the forums, and honestly, I haven't come up with any consensus on what to do about moisturizing oily skin. I don't think I don't need moisturizer just because my skin is oily. Really, I'm just kind of overwhelmed. I've been dealing with this face I want to hide for so long.

hi there, RRGirl -- skincare is a passion for me and i've taken several classes in makeup artistry, i would be happy to share what i am using plus make some budget friendly alternative suggestions. i have extremely dry skin, so when appropriate, i'll suggest a similar product, but hopefully more suited to your skin type. i no longer use any Rx topicals, i found them to be of benefit to my subtype 1 rosacea. every product was chosen carefully to contain no known irritants and to provide benefit for rosacea skin. this is not to say that you may not have an allergy to any one of these things because we are all different on that front.

i have been able to keep my rosacea under very good control with using just this skincare routine and some minimal lifestyle changes.

EVERY DAY FLUSH PREVENTION -- when i'm starting to feel my face feel warm, sensitive or dry, i spray it as often as necessary with La Roche Posay thermal water which has trace elements of zinc and selenium, both of which are beneficial for rosacea. (http://skincarerx.com/La-Roche-Posay...2850-g%29.html). this was the first thing my derm handed to me with my diagnosis 10 years ago. i am never without it. it is my first line of defense for flushing.

MORNING
    Cleanse -- Cera Ve Hydrating Cleanser (available at CVS for under $14 for 12 oz., there is also a foaming formula for oilier skin. samples of both can be found there for $1.00 so you can see which suits you best.) i alternate this with a 2% pyrithione zinc cleansing bar to keep seb derm under control. this can be found at http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/nobl...bar-soap.shtml . i also keep a bottle of La Roche Posay's 'Toleraine Dermo Cleanser' on hand for when i am in a flare up. this runs about $24 from skincarerx.com.

Tone -- this is a completely optional step, but i do it out of habit. i use Paula's Choice 'Skin Recovering Toner' ($18 for 6.4 oz.) which is for very dry and sensitive skin and can be found at http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/ski...gories/toners/ . there is likely another formula which is more appropriate for you. the customer service is fabulous and they can direct you to the best choice for your skin. they are very knowledgeable about rosacea and dedicated to making products without irritants and there is a lot of great information on skincare in general on her website.

Exfoliate -- now this is a tricky one. skin does better when exfoliated, but rosacea skin does not really like it. i use again from Paula's Choice a BHA solution which contains salycylic acid which is an aspirin derivative. you cannot use if you are allergic to aspirin. some rosacea skin can tolerate it, some cannot. if you can tolerate it, the very fact that it is related to aspirin can help with inflammation. you can find it here (http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/ski...ha-exfoliants/). i use the 2% BHA liquid which costs $23/4 oz. again, their customer service can give good advice on the right formula for you. i do not do this every day and i definitely avoid when my skin feel irritated.

Treat -- i use either Replenix Power of 3 Cream or their Serum CF -- either formula contains a lot of green tea extract (very helpful for rosacea), caffeine and lots of other very beneficial ingredients for rosacea. again, i order this from skincarerx.com. (http://skincarerx.com/b:Replenix.html). either formula should be fine for your skin type.

Moisturize -- La Roche Posay 'Toleraine Riche' (the 'Toleraine Facial Fluid' formula is likely more suitable for you) at http://skincarerx.com/b:La+Roche-Pos...out+Prone.html OR Paula's Choice 'Skin Recovery Moisturizer' (http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/ski.../moisturizers/). again, they would be able to suggest the right formula for your skin.

Sun Protection -- Glycolix Elite Sunscreen SPF 30 (http://skincarerx.com/b:Glycolix/pt:Sunscreen.html). this is an excellent product because it is a physical, not chemical sun block which is usually more suitable for sensitive skin. it contains micronized zinc which blends in easier than other zinc based products.

NIGHT -- the same thing, except for the sunscreen.

i get frequent discount codes emailed to me from both paula's choice and skincareRX for between 20-30% off. when i do, i post them right here in this section so others can enjoy some savings. i would avoid the green makeup and mirvaso. when i want or 'need' to wear makeup, i use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, foundation and concealer or Jane Iredale Minerals. i think many women here will agree that those would be the options for our sensitive skin. if you are able to get yourself to a retailer for each and ask them for foundation suggestions, you might be pleasantly surprised.

i do know how tough this can be when money is tight. i am disabled and although now i am receiving SSDI, i had a long, agonizing 4 year waiting period before i was approved. during this time, i found the Paula's Choice to be invaluable.

best of luck,
    cheryl

Wow, thanks! And I just found a thread with success stories that I didn't see before and going to check it out.

Hello

Do not fall into the trap of thinking that just because a product is expensive then it must be better. I was sent this recently and it may be of help to you:

Even oily skin benefits from gentle treatment and moisturising.

People with acne or pustular rosacea are advised to steer clear of heavy
    creams and oil-based products with the exception of light oils such as
    jojoba, whose consistency is similar to the skin's natural oils. Jojoba has
    anti-inflammatory properties and is very cheap, but nothing works for
    everyone and some people cannot use it.

Gels are mostly astringent and drying, creams are usually moisturising while
    lotions fall in between. That isn't always the case and some creams do
    contain harsh ingredients.

With topicals, look for products labelled non-comedogenic, which should not
    cause spots.

Pores that clog easily lack the natural skin oils that should make it easy
    for debris to wash away instead of getting stuck.

It has been argued that the more oily skin is fought with hot water and soap
    or drying agents, the more the body senses dryness and pumps out extra oil
    to "correct" it.

Some people with excessively oily skin find they can regularise it by adding
    plenty of good oils to their diet.

What about sunblocks? Don't ever forget those because they are crucial! Use umbrella; stay away from the sun as much as possible. Personally, I wear full coverage makeup everyday just to rid of sunlight on my face.
    Using Tapatalk

Yeah, no, I don't fall under the trap that more expensive equals better. But there is some truth to you get what you pay for. I tried some La Roche Posay Toleraine Foaming Cream face wash and far prefer it to Cetaphil. I also tried EltaMD oil free moisturizer/sunscreen and it broke me right out within a few hours. I am going to pick up some jojoba oil again for night time but I seem to recall from when I tried it a few years ago that even that broke me out. And while that would be great for nighttime if I can use it, I'd like to start using something with SPF during the day. So I'll be searching the forums for a good sunscreen. Since I have combo skin, I may be reduced to the trick some use of using a cream on my cheeks and a gel for my tzone. Sigh. At least the rosacea specific products seem to be working. Yay for small victories.

Default Help! Please share your successful Rosacea skincare routine with me.

Just in case there's anyone out there that hasn't tried it, give Head & Shoulders a go. I suffered with Rosacea/Seb Derm for 10+ years and it disappeared within days once I started to wash my face in "original" (non-conditioning) Head & Shoulders shampoo
    Last edited by BobbyG; 11th June 2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Just in case there's anyone out there that hasn't tried it, give Head & Shoulders a go. I suffered with Rosacea/Seb Derm for 10+ years and it disappeared within days once I started to wash my face in "original" (non-conditioning) Head & Shoulders shampoo
    Have you a link to the product please?