Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum, trying to make a better topical rosacea treatment!

Red face New to the forum, trying to make a better topical rosacea treatment!

I'm Johan, a molecular biologist, doing my second skincare startup soon to be launched at yourskin.co and I'm looking into what you can do to rosacea topically. Personally I don't suffer from it, but I've had acne all my adult life which lead me to start my previous one-product company; create cosmetics.

I'm not here to advertise any product, I'm looking for help in making one, maybe even crowd source an OTC treatment if something can be done topically that's not already being done! I can get manufacturing done and done properly at FDA and OTC OK facilities.

Regarding rosacea, I've read some interesting cases, there is some, but rather weak, scientific support for salicylic acid, niacinamide, green tea extract, milk thistle and msm (golden chamomile essential oil gets a mention but only saw 10% improvement over placebo in a study). Then there are people experimenting with DMSO and other keratolytics. Also rosacea sufferers seem to on average have more sensitive skin that most acne cases. There doesn't seem to be too much in terms of topical agents on the market today that works wonders - but I could be wrong! Also some note the importance of cycling treatments.. devil is in the details..

Anyways, I live in California, Norwegian citizen. So that's what I'm about! I'm in the process of going through all the literature and hopefully propose a potent otc topical solution
    Last edited by pom; 22nd April 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Hello Johan,

Welcome - we can never have enough molecular biologists to help give their input here.

We also have a lot of Seborrheic Dermatitis SD type of sufferers here which sort of mimics Rosacea.
    Personally hope you may decide to also follow up in that area.

Here's a good thread to look at made by Tom Busby
    Seborrheic Dermatitis & Folliculitis -- Review of OTC Treatments for Malassezia

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...for-Malassezia

Quote Originally Posted by man_from_mars View Post
    We also have a lot of Seborrheic Dermatitis SD type of sufferers here which sort of mimics Rosacea.
    Personally hope you may decide to also follow up in that area.

Here's a good thread to look at made by Tom Busby
    Seborrheic Dermatitis & Folliculitis -- Review of OTC Treatments for Malassezia

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...for-Malassezia
    Yes I've come to realize that, awesome to see a proactive forum.

The plan with yourskin is to high quality make maximally effective otc treatments sold at at fair price, SD is on the list along with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. My design philosophy is to find optimal & compatible combinations of ingredients that have some evidence of efficacy, ideally from quality papers, but I also weigh user experience heavily.

I'm also collaborating with a Naturopathic Doctor in Canada who sees a lot of though skincare cases where derms haven't been able to help

I think that's the trouble a lot of "scientific" papers
    most are sponsored by some company who tend to lend some bias towards the outcome.

I wouldn't say most, there are a lot of honest researchers out there, but I agree there is a lot of fake "research" especially when it comes to patents and "reduced rosecea in 92% of cases" kind of results published on the manufacturers website (paper "on file").

Anyways, I'm going to try to have a formula or formulas ready by the end of the week and I'll ask for suggestions.

What? the end of the week - I thought you were just starting on this?

What? the end of the week - I thought you were just starting on this?
    Yeah, I'm waiting for some ingredients, sorry for the delay ;)

hmm - well hopefully lab rats will be involved somewhere before people trials

hmm - well hopefully lab rats will be involved somewhere before people trials
    Haha! I'm not making a new drug product here - at this stage it's all about analyzing papers, user experiences and other products, then trying to tease out what combination and amounts of ingredients could actually work together and not just be expensive petroleum jelly!

I'll formulate my best bet to make sure all the ingredients are compatible, and then ask you guys what you think of the formula, I'll disclose the amounts of the ingredients that are supposed to do something. Then make potential changes, reformulate, and commence stability testing at 37C to make sure the active(s) don't degrade, that there is no microbiological growth on the product and that it generally keeps together. One option is to then use a compounding pharmacy or a manufacturer to make samples for user testing.

You can market a product as for treatment of rosacea if you use e.g. salicylic acid (but then you are limited to 2.5% tops and it's an OTC) or Colloidal Oatmeal at 1%. If you're not making any "drug claims" you can use pretty much whatever you want, but you're limited by what you can claim, e.g. saying "designed for" is ok but not "treats". Also production manufacturing practices for an otc is stricter and each new drug needs to be registered with the FDA - which is why you pay a manufacturer to take care of it for you.