Thread: Ktp and complications after...

Default Ktp and complications after...

hi guys,
    been awhile since I posted. A week ago I had a KTP test spot done. Within days my skin blistered - 1 blister the size of a cooked grain of rice and a few smaller ones. I was told by my derm to apply aquaphor and leave it alone. It burst on its own and everything is just red now. I know the skin isn't supposed to blister, but everything is just red, ugly and reactive right now. I have specific questions around 1) how long do laser induced blisters take to heal and 2) Does the overall redness go away? I cannot believe that derms claim something like this has no downtime. Thank you in advance for your responses.

nobody should blister- ever. This is the doctor's fault. I can't believe he/she couldn't even get a test spot right. Do not go back.In terms of blisters, generally, you should leave them alone. But if it burst you might get a scar. A lot of people on the ipl/laser damage board like biafine. It's used in hospitals for burns. Dab it on any blister that has burst on it's own. The faster you do this the better Leave blisters that have not burst alone. They will scab and the scab will fall off.
    Once you have healed do a lot of research on lasers, and doctors. Ratemd, health grades, health vitals, this board etc. There are, sadly a lot of incompetent physicians out there. I would suggest finding one who uses vbeam perfecta

Thanks for your response. Yes, this dr was a class act. I don't even want to get into it here. He was terrible. Any ideas when it should all heal up?

where are you?

NYC. I made an appt w a derm I trust tomorrow. Hopefully I get some info then.

I gave up on NYC derms a long time ago. Too much ego, too expensive and surprisingly bad at treating Rosacea. They would much rather do cosmetic treatments all day long. Please check patient reviews for any doctor you plan to use. Very frustrating. NYC is 8 miles from my house, but I drive 3 hours for treatmen.

Default Blister Care

I thought I would share some valuable info I learned from my experience to date around blister care. The aim would be to aid anyone else who ends up with this complications.
    Blisters are the body's way of healing itself from injury. KTP lasers generally produce shallow blisters as its a laser that doesn't go too deep. I can't comment on the V beam or other lasers. Blisters that aren't too deep, have a good chance of healing without scarring. Hyperpigmentation could occur.
    1) Do NOT pop a blister
    The blister is filled with fluid that aids to repair the skin. Some here have said to leave it alone. I was given advice to keep it moist as that speeds up healing. If it scabs and turns dry, it actually takes longer to heal.
    2) If it pops, ensure it does not get infected. The key here is, some blisters break on its own, that's fine too, as long as the roof of the blister deflates onto the raw skin under it, protecting it. If the blister roof is torn open, you are at higher risk of infection. Your doctor may add an antibiotic cream.
    3) Keep it moist with aquaphor and nothing else. Allow skin to reepithelialize before thinking about anything else. If you end up scabbing, just leave it alone. Aquaphor helps there too. Let it fall off on its own. No rubbing, scrubbing or picking.
    4) About 5-7 days after aquaphor, you could try epiceram barrier cream and/or 1% hydrocort (just for a week) to bring down inflammation and hyperpigmentation. I know some are dead against hydrocort, so its a personal decision there.
    5) Red light therapy may help healing the burn too.
    6) You folks with olive-skin out there, we are at higher risk of burns. The KTP is NOT for us. I learned the hard way.
    7) Hang in there. Time is our only friend, here. Distract yourself with other activities and remind yourself about all the good things in life and how we aren't defined by our red skin. Its a daily battle. The only consistent thing about rosacea is how inconsistent our skin is.
    8) Shallow blisters heal in 2-3 weeks
    I hope this has helped. Many of you may not know it, but you have certainly helped me with this forum.