Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried going Vegan?

Default Anyone tried going Vegan?

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on it so wondered if anyone had ever tried going Vegan and what kind of effect it might have on the skin.

A friend said if I could face it, I should watch a documentary called Earthlings. It's on Youtube. I've not linked it because it is very hard to watch but a real eye opener.

I'm considering attempting to go Vegan and just wondered how this may effect my rosacea

My diet has been vegan for a number of years, bar a brief spell on fish oil supplements, and it's not stopped the rosacea.

But I came across the Dr John McDougall diet last year, or way of eating, as it's called. It's plant based, whole foods, with vegetable oil excluded. So out of pure curiosity I excluded vegetable oil. I had been pouring it on like Jamie Oliver. The improvement in my skin was great, from okay to the best it's ever been as an adult. However I couldn't continue with the no oil approach, as I was constantly cold. This is something that his forum members on the diet frequently report, great skin, but feeling cold. If you're a healthy weight, this diet could work.

I have a theory as to why the diet works for great skin. I think it reduces the food supply to the mites on the skin. Interestingly, the length of time advised to see results, at least a month, ideally two, is roughly the same time topical anti mite treatments take to work.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoScoops View Post
    My diet has been vegan for a number of years, bar a brief spell on fish oil supplements, and it's not stopped the rosacea.

But I came across the Dr John McDougall diet last year, or way of eating, as it's called. It's plant based, whole foods, with vegetable oil excluded. So out of pure curiosity I excluded vegetable oil. I had been pouring it on like Jamie Oliver. The improvement in my skin was great, from okay to the best it's ever been as an adult. However I couldn't continue with the no oil approach, as I was constantly cold. This is something that his forum members on the diet frequently report, great skin, but feeling cold. If you're a healthy weight, this diet could work.

I have a theory as to why the diet works for great skin. I think it reduces the food supply to the mites on the skin. Interestingly, the length of time advised to see results, at least a month, ideally two, is roughly the same time topical anti mite treatments take to work.
    So by going Vegan your skin is the best it's ever been as an adult? That's good motivation to try it. I'm always cold in my hands and feet as it is so don't know if being cold will be an issue.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by maroon5 View Post
    So by going Vegan your skin is the best it's ever been as an adult?
    Sorry, not quite. It was only when I excluded vegetable oil from the diet that was a marked improvement in skin condition. There could have been other factors at play, but the experience fits with others on the diet. And my diet just happened to be vegan at the time because it's cheaper and I'm dairy intolerant.

Dr McDougall has a video on YouTube on acne and diet, so you can see where he's coming from.

I was vegetarian for a while then went vegan for three months, it made no difference.

Veganism probably does not have any effect:

Here's a good study: http://www.truthlyapp.com/truths/118

I would say this is probably due to the high level of carbohydrates that vegans consume. If SIBO is one of the root causes/links, then carbs are the enemy for SIBO, and thus, rosacea.

Fasting would have an impact, as it did in this study, because the food based inflammation would decrease.

Don't know how much faith I'd put in that article tbh. They seem confused as if it was vegetarian or in fact vegan. Not much information on what was actually eaten and a very small sample group

I have been a vegeterian now since 7 months. I still eat fish time by time but, anyway, this hasn't improved my rosacea.

Recently I changed my diet to a low-carb one. I think now I'm doing some progress. If you don't now about them, just let you know that last studies are saying that this is the healthiest way of eating, this way you teach again your body how to use the fat as energy.

Is not easy to stick to this diet. Specially the first week when your body will be in "shock" after all of a sudden, do not have so much carbs available. You may experience headaches, feel low of energy, ... but, if you pass this state, next one is actually the opposite! I feel so energised now!!

If you want to try and have any doubts on how to do this diet just let me know and I'll do my best to help you.

Based on everything I've read, I don't believe going Vegan would benefit one's rosacea unfortunately. It may have other great benefits though.

Hello everyone! I'm a pesco-vegetarian for almost two years and five months now. I believe this kind of diet helped me get sufficient vitamins and minerals needed for healthy, glowing skin. However, some vegetables are really not ideal for rosacea. Tomatoes, eggplants--these are completely healthy, but are said to be containing lots of histamines which may cause hypersensitivity and thus flushing/facial erythema.

Well my type of rosacea, unfortunately, is rhinophyma, so my nose have prominent porea abd is quite bulbous (thank god for makeup lols). Anyhow, I still eat all kinds of vegetables and I notice very little effect on my rosacea.

What you should remember, more importantly, IMO, is to try not to eat anything thermally-hot. Anything smoking and hot can cause me instant redness + additional inflammation of my.nose. Also, it is very crucial that you don't eat chilies or any veg that's spicy. Such triggers causes me immediate reactions.

Have a great day!
    Using Tapatalk