Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: Anti-Histamines work and so does Mutton Tallow (yuck!)

Default Update: Anti-Histamines work and so does Mutton Tallow (yuck!)

Fellow sufferers,

The anti-histamines are no miracle cure for me, but they take the edge off. I am easily stressed and my job is intense, so I still flush. I have been taking Allegra, and tried Zyrtec, the latter of which does nothing for me. The reason I know that Allegra works is because I usually wake up red-faced in the morning and when I take Allegra before bed, I wake up beautifully pale in the am. But Allegra is no match for the histamine release that my job produces. So I will go on a trip to the doc soon to get myself Singulair and Xyzal and whatever big pharma has got in store.

About Mutton Tallow, it stinks terribly, it's cheap and it works to reduce the skin inflammation. I divided my face into the control cheek and the treatment cheek. The treatment cheek is consistently less inflamed in the am after the mutton tallow application

Tallow is a bit like wax so this is what I do: I put a scraping of mutton tallow in a saucer and put it in the microwave for melting; once melted, I add some shea butter, then apply the mixture to my skin. Finally, I dip my finger into a big bag of bulk zinc oxide that I bought over the web, and smear it across my cheeks. I just ordered grass-fed beef tallow from my organic grocery store, hoping that smells less bad, but doubting it.

The smell is so bad that you can kiss your sex life good-bye. Perhaps moving into another bedroom might be agreeable to your boy or girlfriend.
    Our skin is worth it, I think.

And next fall, hoping that I have got the flushing and inflammation under control, I am considering a course of Vbeam to repair the damage this condition has done to my face.

On a quest for pale skin,
    Lisa

Default Thank You

Thanks for sharing. I am trying out a few diets right now, but when they inevitably don't work, I will try using anti-histamines . I have a stressful job as well. I've considered giving up the rat race to get a clearer face.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Twiggy View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I am trying out a few diets right now, but when they inevitably don't work, I will try using anti-histamines . I have a stressful job as well. I've considered giving up the rat race to get a clearer face.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    Hi Mister Twiggy,

I gave up on the diets quickly. I am a full-time (100% full-time) single mom to two young boys and I work full-time so it became clear after a couple of days that I don't have time for a specific diet. I cut out alcohol, caffeine and processed sugar and I stay away from fermented foods, but that's it. This morning, after taking Allegra the night before, I woke up with almost the face of my 30s. There are blood vessel issues now, but still, I haven't looked this normal for a long time. I have to take more than the recommended dose. In fact, I usually take 1.5 pills split up into three equal doses over the course of the day because I find that it wears off after about three to four hours.

Oddly, Quercetin does nothing for me. I am disappointed in that.

The Mutton Tallow works wonders for the inflammation.

Good luck.

Lisa

Can I ask how many mgs of Allegra you are taking? Which country are you guys in?

My doc let me try anti histamines once but they were only 5mg or something

Quote Originally Posted by lm4727 View Post
    Hi Mister Twiggy,

I cut out alcohol, caffeine and processed sugar and I stay away from fermented foods, but that's it. This morning, after taking Allegra the night before, I woke up with almost the face of my 30s. There are blood vessel issues now, but still, I haven't looked this normal for a long time. I have to take more than the recommended dose. In fact, I usually take 1.5 pills split up into three equal doses over the course of the day because I find that it wears off after about three to four hours.

Oddly, Quercetin does nothing for me. I am disappointed in that.
    Hi Lisa,

I just tried Hydroxyzine (Anti-Histamine, 25mg) last night and it didn't do anything for me. I will have to try out Allegra soon! Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by maroon5 View Post
    Can I ask how many mgs of Allegra you are taking? Which country are you guys in?

My doc let me try anti histamines once but they were only 5mg or something
    I am in OTC heaven USA. I am taking a lot. I take 220mg per day. That's 1.5 tablets split into three equal parts. I take one in the am, one at about 3 p.m. 4 p.m. and one at night before bed. The one before bed is the most effective one. Also, I am seeing greater impact, the longer I take it. After about four or five days, I looked in the mirror in the morning and it was like wow, that's a significant difference.

Also, different anti-histamines work for different folks. A lot of people swear by Xyzal, but that's not OTC here. Some folks see an effect from Zyrtec and Claritin. Those do nothing for me.

Lisa

Default Benadryl !!!!

I have been reading up on Forums by folks who have an official mast cell disorder, and some of them swear by Benadryl. I can't take that stuff because it knocks me out, but it's worth a try for flushers with rosacea.

Also, don't forget Singulair.

Lisa

Thanks for the posting about this.

I've been taking Reactine (Zyrtec) which is 10mg Citrizine Hydrocloride per pill. I'm not sure if it's been doing anything but I've taken it the last week.

I may try Allegra because I'm pretty sure I can get it in Canada OTC.

They're both H1 blockers so I don't anticipate a difference but might as well try.

Benedryl is Diphenhydramine which is a sleep aid so I'm not surprised by your comments on that.

Hi,

good to read you get relief from antihistamines. I use Xyzal 10 mg and it works good for me too. Recently my derm also prescribed a few antihistamines that are given for mastocytosis (despite me testing negative for it), I find them benificial at lower dose, they are Inorial, zaditine and I very occasionally add pantoprazole (but that is not an antihistamine, just given in this combo for mastocytosis). They are all prescription meds btw.
    I read here in the past that using too many antihistamines might stir the body to make more histamine receptors, basically worsening your problems, but am not sure how much of that is true. Blocking some histamine release with these meds also helps me to combat redness and flushing.

Best wishes

Default Xyzal

Hi Nat,

I have recently begun Xyzal - and am also taking 10 mgs per day - after mentioning to the allergist that your dr encouraged that dose for you.

It's been a few weeks and I think it helps. However in the recent days it hasn't been protecting me to the degree it was. Do you take both 10 mgs at one time or as I do - 5 mg am/pm?

Also, for those on antihistamines, are you experiencing weight gain? When I stopped Zyrtec a month or so ago, I dropped 5 lbs like that (snaps fingers) But now that I take Xyzal, I've shot right back up.

Also, Zyrtec was helping me with post shower flushing, but Xyzal not so much.