Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probiotics Seb.Derm : how long to see results for skin issue?

Default Probiotics Seb.Derm : how long to see results for skin issue?

hello all!

my name is José, from Portugal. Just started taking Probiotics a week ago for my skin issue, the abominant seborrheic dermatitis. they are prescribed from my doc, but I would like to know, from yours experience, how long it takes to see results on my skin?

he also gave me vita D and Omega 3
    thanks to all!

I think none of them will work for you. My doc had suggested me to use probiotics for 5 months. I am not sure about vitamin D3. It can be beneficial at high dose. I wonder that too...

My stomach is better (been using probiotics/vitamin d three weeks) so it does work. Skin hasnt improved, I think that with those supplements, especially omega 3 it will take some time. A happy stomach is always to prefer regardless. You should try something topical.

Quote Originally Posted by vaucan View Post
    My stomach is better (been using probiotics/vitamin d three weeks) so it does work. Skin hasnt improved, I think that with those supplements, especially omega 3 it will take some time. A happy stomach is always to prefer regardless. You should try something topical.
    she prescribed that because she believes I have an inflammatory condition in the gut. I am done with topicals...this condition must be related to something inside. She came to that conclusion because I told her that, a few years ago, I've done a stupid diet. consequence: vita deficiency, imbalance gut flora.

I am so tired of this..it's been a year since I developed this son of a bitch. avoid most social meetings, and became hopeless about future...depressed, to be sincere. I think about dying everyday.

Hi Jose, Rory on this forum found a very interesting medical article that clearly connects seb derm to low Vitamin D levels. Here’s the full article, http://ssm.mu-varna.bg/index.php?opt...t=1&Itemid=238 This is the first medical article that shows a connection between diet and seb derm.

Information about Vitamin D http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vit...hProfessional/ shows we should eat wild salmon three times a week, be outdoors 20 minutes a day, and take Vitamin D supplements. As I already do the first two activities, and have for several decades, my own experience shows two out of three is not sufficient.

Probiotics from yogurt and Kefir are a sensible addition to everyone's diet, but I can't answer your question about "how long" they need to be consumed.

Jose what are you moaning about. One year of seb derm! Try living with it for over twenty years. Back then very little was known about this condition and Rosacea and there was no internet or recourse like we have today. So chin up and listen to what I have to say.Your Derm seems pretty up to date on current events. A specific probiotic study showed it was able to increase vitamin D in people who were deficient of it. A chinese study which was only available to read in the chinese websites showed that there is a significant imbalance in gut microflora of those with SD. The vitamin D study that Tom pointed out and these other studies still left me wondering as to the cause of all of this. A study which most seem to ignore is the Thai study which found intestinal permeability as a factor in SD. For me this answered a lot of my questions. It also tells me that the years of antibiotics I took for Acne is what caused my SD although there are other causes if you read the study. The ABs damaged the mucus membrane within the intestinal walls as well as destroying the gut microflora. So I think you should continue with the Probiotics and vitamin D but I would also ask you to include L-Glutamine. This amino acid is the foundation for rebuilding the damaged mucus membrane. Take one heaped teaspoon of L-Glutamine powder three times a day between meals. Good luck with it if you try it.

thank's rory, tom busby, and everyone who cares.. it means a lot, really. but how long to build up normal levels of vitamin d? I will add glutamine to my regime, see if it helps...because, even taking probitics, still have diarrhea..but it's been only two weeks of that.

but, and perhaps most important, how do you deal with this condition? I mean, psychologically...it's thought to be optimistic

cheers to all from Portugal...

Jose you didnt mention that you have diarrhea. Or did you and I missed it. Im very curious can you tell me exactly what this diet you were on consisted of which you believe caused the Seb derm?

I tried taking probiotics and have had mixed results. Sometimes it's hard to know what working because you think something is working, then all of a sudden the seb derm comes back.

I hate to sound redundant (some of my advice is seen in other posts) but I have to mention what has worked for me:

First: Raw honey mask - you will see this in the forums, some say use coconut oil, but I would NOT recommend coconut oil. It made my seb derm much more worse. For some it works though. Just simple raw honey (it should be RAW - unfiltered and unprocessed) mixed with a little bit of water (non chlorinated). I do this mask once a week but it can be done every other day until your symptoms subside. Does it work 100%, not always but it certainly allows me to go out and function with out feeling so self conscious. Sometimes it clears and sometimes stubborn patches are left over.

Second: Salt soak/rinses. Pink Himalayan salt is fantastic. Please do not use regular table salt. It has to be real sea salt. Wash your face with it or soak a face cloth in salt water and apply to face. I DO NOT rinse after. I have to say, depending on how bad your flare is, it can sting really bad this usually subsides as the seb derm lessens.

Don't give up hope! This forum has helped me tremendously and we are all in this together…

Hi ZeZe I just wanted to say that I feel your pain but keep your chin pointed to the sky

I have felt and often still do feel like you. I think I can't go on and would rather die than have to go on with this condition. But life is precious and I believe we only get one shot at this. Would be a horrible waste to throw it away.

Whenever I feel really down I come on this forum and it always makes me feel better. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing this and there are always new ideas to try. One day I'm sure we will find something that really helps us.

In relation to this thread, Vienna mentioned a honey mask and using sea salt soaks. Do you know if this also helps with Rosacea?

Good luck